OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Nosler Accubond Long Range

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Nosler Accubond Long Range
    Posted: October/31/2012 at 18:36

Bend, Ore. – October 31, 2012 – Nosler, Inc. is pleased to announce the release of their new line of AccuBond® Long Range bullets. Developed through a combination of bullet manufacturing techniques that are unique to Nosler, the design of the AccuBond®-LR allows for the highest B.C. possible in a bullet of the same caliber and weight. Designed with an optimum performance window ranging from 3,200fps to 1,300fps, the unique tapered jacket geometry and proprietary
bonding process of the AccuBond®-LR allow it to expand rapidly for effective energy transfer and significant tissue damage while retaining sufficient weight to ensure deep penetration into the vitals. The AccuBond® bonding process allows the AccuBond®-LR to perform reliably on game throughout the entire velocity range, eliminating the problem of being “too close” often encountered with other high-B.C. bullets. The high-performance boat tail, long ogive, and polymer tip combine to make the AccuBond®-LR the sleekest, flattest- shooting, bonded, hunting bullet ever created. The ogive of the AccuBond®-LR is designed to provide excellent accuracy in a wide variety of firearms without the necessity of being loaded close to or in contact with the lands. The new AccuBond®-LR will be packaged in 100 count boxes, and will initially be available in the following calibers and weights.

These are awesome! Nosler is going to take the long range market by storm.
Way to go Nosler.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 19:25
Oh yeah, I'm a nosler fan so I'm anxious to try the 210s
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 19:33
Oh, man!  I liked the original AB, but I see many 129 6.5mm and 168 7mm ALRs in my immediate future!

Thanks for passing this along, Roy!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 20:34
So sweet.  So, so sweet. .730?  Good grief.
-Matt
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 21:04
I am not trying to take a stab at Nosler but I have never gotten the results as they stated with the BC I do not know why but I am usually as much as 10% or greater off. I like the looks of them I really do...

I have wanted to do some more chrono to stand behind the above statement but this was over 3 or 4 visits that I noticed the in accuracy. I shot some swifts that were dead on and some bergers that were dead on so I know I was getting good data that day.

I still will try these once available. I just want to put my faith in them that much.
No one
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 21:14
I am excited about them.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 22:43
What is the G1 & G7 part of that grid?
The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2012 at 03:53
It is two different kinds of BC (Ballistic Coefficient).
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2012 at 08:35
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

I am not trying to take a stab at Nosler but I have never gotten the results as they stated with the BC I do not know why but I am usually as much as 10% or greater off. I like the looks of them I really do...

I have wanted to do some more chrono to stand behind the above statement but this was over 3 or 4 visits that I noticed the in accuracy. I shot some swifts that were dead on and some bergers that were dead on so I know I was getting good data that day.

I still will try these once available. I just want to put my faith in them that much.
Lapua,

I tested Accubonds a few years ago (200 gr. 30 cal and 140 gr. .270) by shooting through a chronograph at the muzzle and at 300 yards.  I then used JBM to calculate BC and got very close to the published G1 BCs.

I also got reliable drop information to 800 yards with the 160 gr. accubond out of the 7 mag using the published G1 BC.

I assume that the rifling marks from each individual rifle will affect BC values, though.
-Matt
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2012 at 08:57
I found Nosler overstated BCs too. You gotta use the Litz calculated values when available. But maybe these are measured better. Still, I'm skeptical that their 190 gr bullet could be .325 when a Berger target VLD is only .291. Regardless they'll be better than current Nosler options and the Accubonds have been my hunting bullet of choice.
Reaction time is a factor...
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2012 at 11:21
How does this compare to the Amax?
MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2012 at 11:24
Originally posted by Ernie Bishop Ernie Bishop wrote:

It is two different kinds of BC (Ballistic Coefficient).

Ahh, OK. That gives me something to work with on Google.
The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2012 at 11:27
IIRC G1 was designed way way back when bullets design was very simple and more square shaped.  So a G1 BC is not a good representation of the modern bullets aerodynamics.  The G7 BC formula takes into account the modern styling that goes into a bullet.  So it is can give you more accurate data when using ballistic calcs.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2012 at 13:26
Out to 600 yards for most high velocity loads you can use a G1 BC and get nearly the same results in a ballistics calculator as you would with a G7 BC. So if that's all you have, use it. Just make sure you select the right drag model (G1).
Reaction time is a factor...
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2012 at 13:37
G1 is really only good at one velocity, G7 is good, for modern bullets, over the entire velocity range. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2012 at 14:26
Originally posted by djp0623 djp0623 wrote:

How does this compare to the Amax?

Campare how ? The AMax is a paper (target design) bullet that folks do use for hunting. The Accubond is a hunting bullet from the start.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2012 at 14:32
Also, the Amax core isn't bonded to the jacket; the AB is bonded.  The Amax has a conventional continuous thickness jacket, whereas the AB has a tapered jacket that gets thicker toward the bottom, to help control the rate of expansion.  Amax expands pretty violently; AB won't expand to as large a frontal area, permitting greater penetration, comparing bullets of the same weight, caliber, and impact velocity.  
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2012 at 14:35
Yes, that was kind of my point.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2012 at 15:50
Sorry Roy; didn't mean to restate the obvious.  Just intended to point out the bonded core aspect since there are plenty of hunting bullets that are constructed just like target bullets without the bonded core and tapered jackets, i.e. NBT, SGK, etc.
Ted

rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2012 at 16:06
Too bad they don't have a .308 in a 168??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic