OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Zeiss 3-9x40 zplex , #4 reticle & rapid z600 ??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss 3-9x40 zplex , #4 reticle & rapid z600 ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss 3-9x40 zplex , #4 reticle & rapid z600 ??
    Posted: October/31/2012 at 15:41
I am looking at buying a Zeiss 3-9x 40 conquest scope that I can use on both my Rainier Arms RUC 16" AR15 &  Browning 30-06. It will mainly be used for hunting & target shooting. The problem that I am having is deciding which reticle to choose. The price is around $400 for each  since the $500 z600 has a $100 rebate - so $$ difference is not a problem. I have never purchased a scope before & decided that I really needed one after target shooting the AR15 at 100yds with iron sights . I have read that the #4 is great for low light & crowded backgrounds when hunting but not great for distance target shooting like the zplex & z600. What do you think of these different options & which do you think I would have the best success with being my 1st scope? I appreciate hearing from all those Zeiss owners out there - TY. Big Smile

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 15:53
Welcome to The OT. 

Funny, I have Rainier Arms web site on my tabbed browser when I read your post. Great company.
I would be most interested to hear how you like your Rainier rifle. 

Now, to the task at hand. 

I personally would just go for the 3-9x Connie with the Z Plex reticle and call it a day. If this is indeed your "first scope", why not keep it simple?  
The Z Plex is great for hunting or target. 

Our Gracious Host here sells this scope for around $400 as well and you can help sponsor a site that helps shooters like yourself. 

I had the Z Plex and hunted with it a lot. It's an exceptional reticle, as the Conquest is an exceptional scope. 

Good shooting!  

Edited by cheaptrick - October/31/2012 at 16:01
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 15:59
Tough choice.  I think the Z-Plex is one of the best plex reticles available, period.  To me, it's just proportionally "right" between thick bars and thin center crosshairs.  I have it on a fixed 4X Conquest and love it.

I also have the #4 on a 3-9X40 Conquest on one of my main go-to deer rifles, and it's a fantastic low light reticle.  It's not as thin in the center as the Z-Plex, but it's more than thin enough for hunting, and the thick outer posts make this reticle very visible against any conceivable background and in any legal shooting light conditions.

I have the Rapid Z800 in a 3.5-10X44 Conquest, and I really like it too, but if hunting in low light is in the cards, I wouldn't choose it.  It's a really good LR reticle system, though, once you learn how to use it.

All things considered, I'd probably go with the Z-Plex, as it's bold enough to be a decent low light reticle and fine enough in the center for precision target shooting.

If the goal is BG hunting more than anything else, I'd get the #4.

If the goal ends up being more target shooting and informal LR shooting, I'd get the Rapid Z600 or 800.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Mactrev View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 16:50
Cheaptrick , the Rainier Arms RUC 16" is a fantastic rifle.  The balance , fit & finish are great & it weighs under 7 lbs . You can stay on target very well as there is little recoil & muzzle movement - however the blast from the  RA XTC is very very loud ( a little give & take there). I was one of the 1st 100 to purchase this AR & could not pass it up at $1295 plus an upgraded SSA trigger for free. I can hit 2 liters & milk jugs at 70 yds with the Diamond Head iron sights but past that I really need a scope. A regular bullseye target at 60yds is a blurr to me - people say it should be though if im locked on my sight post. Thanks for your input about the Zeiss - I was thinking the same about keeping it simple with the zplex too. But I did see that an authorized Zeiss dealer had the Z600 for $495 plus a $100 rebate  & at $395 this looks like a steal !!

Rifledude , I did see several pics online looking through these diff options & I really liked the Zplex & Z600. I will probably use it more for target shooting than hunting right now - but in 7 yrs I plan on retiring & hunting time would be unlimited. I just dont know about calculating different loads for different magnifications with the Z600 - guess I would figure it out soon enough. Tough decision - thanks for your help.

MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 18:44
You know, for what it's worth, I spoke to Zeiss today about the Z-Plex reticle, which I was considering buying myself.

The reason I did that is because I had gotten conflicting information from several sources, all of which I had every reason to believe were giving me good info. So, I thought something got lost in the translation somewhere.

They did confirm that the 600, 800 & 1000 refer to the distance the reticle is intended for. I forgot to ask about the Varmint, but given that it has markings for 600 meters (yards?) I would GUESS that it's basically a Z-600 for varmint size/weight bullets.

Anyway, here are the two things I took away from the phone call that seemed most important to me:

1) These reticles are really intended for hunters, not target shooters, which is why they suggested the Z-600 for my 7mm RM and .270 Win; which leaves half their range on the table.

2) Anyone wanting to buy a Rapid-Z scope would be wise to call Zeiss directly and make sure that the specific cartridge you plan to use will work well with the reticle you think it will. And to be clea, he wanted to know know the brand of ammo and the type & weight of the bullet. I would have to imagine that when you're talking about a .223 with a weight of 55gr, give or take; and a .308 at around 170-180gr (I like a 180gr in .30-06 myself); they might not think that the same scope for both guns would work.

I have to emphasize though...
I am a real neophyte when it comes to higher end glass. I didn't even know how little I knew until I started doing research. So, I'm only passing on what I was told by Zeiss.
The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.
@WitsEnd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote @WitsEnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 18:53

Welcome Mactrev,

On my Ziess, I prefered the zplex reticle over the rapid z due to the fact that I mainly used it for low light hunting.  I think you will be happy with either one.  I really like my ziess but sadly I had to part ways with mine.

Hope that helps
Mactrev View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 20:49
Thanks McEsher for that info about the rapidZ reticles - seems if that is the case about being the wrong fit for 2 different rifles then the Zplex would be the way to go being  a one size fits all scope. I will give Zeiss a holler to see what they have to say.

@WitsEnd ty for your experience with your Zeiss. Seems that many people have said that the Zplez is a very good reticle in low light situations along with the quality glass.

I did see the blowout sale on the Sightron 11 BigSky (very good reviews) for $269 here , but this may be my only scope  & I didnt want to have buyers remorse for $130 difference with the Zeiss.

Hondo64d View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hondo64d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 21:17
I sent my 3-9 conquest back to Zeiss and had their target turrets installed and a #4 reticle.  As far as the reticle, I think it is going to be great. The thick parts are relatively close together, making windage holdoff easy, as it's pretty easy to visually divide the 8 MOA distance between the vertical crosshair and horizontal thick part into fourths or even less. The other benefit is having the thick parts so close together will allow for bracketing a deer's vitals when the light is too low to see the crosshairs. Additionally, the crosshairs subtend .4 MOA, small enough for precise aiming at a distance.  I don't miss having elevation hold off references on the vertical wire because the elevation turret will cover those duties.

I'm pretty excited about this reticle.  I think when combined with a tactical elevation turret, it is going to do very well at long range in good light and close range in low light.

John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic