OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski vs Leica

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski vs Leica
    Posted: October/30/2012 at 00:32
I am looking at getting a new scope, and i found one of the Leica's at Wholesale Sports, I looked through it as well as a Swarovski Z5, and to me they seemed pretty close in glass quality. Can anyone tell me if they are comparable or not, because i am trying to decide between these two scopes.

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2012 at 06:14
The Leica is a 30mm tube, the Z5 is a 1". I had the Leica and the glass was very nice. I just thought it seemed big and bulky so I sold it. The Swaro is typical Swaro...wonderful. Either would be great, but I usually default to Swaro as they are my favorites. I guess it boils down to personal preferences.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2012 at 08:23
What type of rifle and caliber?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2012 at 09:29
Yes, they are neck and neck in terms of image quality.  I have both, and I couldn't tell you which is "better," as both have individual features I like better than the other.  You won't make a mistake by picking either one over the other.  Choose based on which one has a reticle, price tag, etc that best suits you.  One thing to consider from a purely functional standpoint is if you're likely to be tight on mounting length, the Leica has a longer main tube than Swaro for the same magnification class scope of similar length due to the fact its eyepiece housing is shorter.  That can be a definite advantage if your mount spacing is wide.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
dezmick View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dezmick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2012 at 15:57
Either scope would be used on a Browning X-bolt 7mm WSM, i really want some quality glass with the ability to dial in a shot with turrets, that is why i am leaning towards the Swarovski, i was thinking about maybe going with the 4-12x50 Z3 to save some money, but i am not a big fan of 50mm bells on 1 inch tubes. If there is any other suggestions to go with let me know, i do not want some sort of fancy ballistics reticle. I want something with a plex and turrets.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2012 at 17:40
Unless you just don't like the looks of 1" tubes with 50mm objectives, don't let that scare you off.  I love my Conquest with 50mm objective.  Gives me higher power in low light situations.  The only real drawback is less adjustment in the turrets.  Good luck.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2012 at 18:23
I have the 4-12X50 Z3, and it is actually pretty slender and handsome for a 1 inch 50mm scope.  I would recommend the BRH reticle though, as all that sleek and sexy goes out the window with the Swaro adjustable elevation turret.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic