OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Sightron Close out Scopes 4.5-14, 4-16 Big Sky SII
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron Close out Scopes 4.5-14, 4-16 Big Sky SII

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron Close out Scopes 4.5-14, 4-16 Big Sky SII
    Posted: October/29/2012 at 17:47
Ask any questions you may have and I will have an answer.

Again no question will go unanswered.

The Kahles is the best scope I have in this magnification range.

I have compared these scopes to the below mentioned scopes.
Kahles CL 4-12x52mm 1" tube
Swarovski Habicht 4-12x50mm 1" tube
Zeiss Conquest 4-14x50mm 1" tube
Nikon Tactical 4-16x50mm 1" tube
Nikon Monarch GOLD UCC 4-16x50mm 1" tube
Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x50mm 30mm tube
Leupold VX3 4.5-14X50mm 1" tube

I find the Sightrons to be right In between the Kahles 4-12x52mm and the Zeiss 4-14x50mm reason being I excluded the Swaro is because it seems that the Swaro is Darker but has better contrast and is sharper to my eyes, while the Sightron is brighter than the Swaro but does not quite give me the sharpness. (I would hate to assume that this is because it only has a 42mm objective as that may not play a factor in sharpness, it plays a factor in brightness.) I am not saying the Sightron is Better than the Swaro just different. SO hard to compare scopes. Koshkin I need your input.

The scopes I have purchased and have in my hands are as follows:

Sightron SII Big Sky Riflescopes
Sightron 4-16x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope   .
Stock # - SIIB41642ST
•Silver
•Plex
•1"
•Adjustable Objective
•Target Knobs
•Mail-In $100 Rebate
•CLOSEOUT PRICE
•Was $620.95 Now $379.95
•$279.95 After Rebate!

Specifications
Weight (oz): 16.6
Plex

Length (in): 12.8
Eye Relief (in): 4 - 3.8
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 24 - 6.1
MOA: 1/8
Parallax Adjustment (yds): 10 - infinity
Lens Coating: Fully Multi-Coated

http://swfa.com/Sightron-4-16x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9169.aspx
http://swfa.com/Sightron-4-16x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9169.aspx

Sightron SII Big Sky Riflescopes
Sightron 4.5-14x42 SII Big Sky Riflescope .
Stock # - SIIB451442
•Matte
•Plex
•1"
•Adjustable Objective
•Target Knobs
•Mail-In $100 Rebate
•CLOSEOUT PRICE
•Was $605.95 Now $379.95
•$279.95 After Rebate!

Specifications
Weight (oz): 16.6
Plex

Length (in): 12.8
Eye Relief (in): 3.9 - 3.8
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 21.8 - 7
MOA: 1/4

http://swfa.com/Sightron-45-14x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9165.aspx
http://swfa.com/Sightron-45-14x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9165.aspx

Sightron SIII Riflescopes
Sightron 16x42 SIII 30mm Riflescope   .
Stock # - SIII16X42MMD
•Matte
•Modified Mil-Dot
•30mm
•Rear Focus
•Target Knobs
•CLOSEOUT PRICE
•Was $577.95 Now $399.95

Specifications
Weight (oz): 19.4
Modified Mil-Dot

Length (in): 13.19
Eye Relief (in): 3.6
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 6.5
MOA: 1/4
Wind./Elev. Travel (in): 150

http://swfa.com/Sightron-16x42-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P45295.aspx
http://swfa.com/Sightron-16x42-SIII-30mm-Riflescope-P45295.aspx

I wish I could sneak this in without catching to much flack.

The Sightron SIII to my eyes seems to be a clearer sharper brighter image than any other 16x I have. The colors are seemingly more vivid.

I cannot mention names I plead the 5th.

It is built like a tank and will withstand any abuse I can give it.

I am sure this will be a fine replacement for me.

The only deal breaker which is a non issue for me for this application is the 1/4" clicks vs 1/8" or .1MRAD.

I do wish the MMD was paired with a MIL/MIL adjustment but for $400 as opposed to $800-$1200 I can live with it... For me due to the image quality I would rather have this as it appeals to my eyes better the math is not that hard.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - October/29/2012 at 18:10
No one
browninglover1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browninglover1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2012 at 23:41
How do the turrets feel on the SIII?  It says that it can be focused down to 10 yards, how is the image quality when viewing objects closer than 25 yards?

I'm wondering about replacing a Burris Black Diamond with the SIII for my 22-250 I use for prairie dogs. 
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 07:22
Man, I'm so tempted to by one of the Sightron 4-16x42 SII scopes.  I keep adding it to the shopping cart and not pulling the trigger.  I keep convincing myself that I should keep the $300 bucks and put it towards one of the higher mag s3 variables.  What are your thoughts?
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 20:48
Originally posted by browninglover1 browninglover1 wrote:

How do the turrets feel on the SIII?  It says that it can be focused down to 10 yards, how is the image quality when viewing objects closer than 25 yards?

I'm wondering about replacing a Burris Black Diamond with the SIII for my 22-250 I use for prairie dogs. 

These turrets are responsive and offer positive tactile and tactical feel. The image quality is fine I just focused in on the siding of the neighbors house and a tree and a mailbox and a car, I feel that the image was as good as it gets, I then took out another 16x and tried the same and got a few distortions and not the crispness and brightness.

I would believe this to be an excellent choice for your application.

The Turrets alone should sell this over the Black Diamond and the Image quality will be night and day. I am not trying to be a hater of the Burris Lenses but SIGHTRON does something very very well and that is bright bold sharp images at high magnification. I tried resolving rocks at 500 yards and could precisely pick out clear lines and contours/profiles.
No one
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 20:54
Originally posted by djp0623 djp0623 wrote:

Man, I'm so tempted to by one of the Sightron 4-16x42 SII scopes.  I keep adding it to the shopping cart and not pulling the trigger.  I keep convincing myself that I should keep the $300 bucks and put it towards one of the higher mag s3 variables.  What are your thoughts?

I first love the variables.

THE 4-16 SII BIG SKY. Side by side vs. a comparable 3-10 SIII and 6-24 SIII all at 8x too keep it mid range I do not notice any real advantage, when I got out the 6-24 and 8-32 yes because I believe the added brightness is due to light gathering objectives,

If you do not need the added elevation get the SII BIG SKY.

I am not sure if this statement is true but I tend to let my eyes tell me it might be the same glass. If it is not it is marginal differences to my eyes.

About being tempted. I will assure you the price should be screaming at you and you will always be able to get out of it for what you paid.

Maybe the above is confusing I am stating that these were good deals at the retail price and then the SWFA everyday price and now the closeout with Rebate. PULL THE TRIGGER.

If I learned one thing you must NEVER HESITATE, while this is not life or death, if you wait to long might not get your chance.

GREAT GREAT GREAT DEALS, nuff said.

To get a rebate after the close-out price is like paying you to try it, poorly worded, it is like paying you to save money.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - October/31/2012 at 21:29
No one
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 20:59
Originally posted by browninglover1 browninglover1 wrote:

You do realize your FOV is Inches not feet at that distance right.

Look at the specs.

If you get to shoot prairie dogs at 25yrds can I come hunt on your land???

No, really can I?   I need to practice shooting with an internally suppressed 22lr I just got back, I think a 60gr should do the job.

I am just joking...(unless you really can get them that close.)

Back On Topic.

Do not hesitate on any other questions.

I am going to get some pictures up this weekend hopefully.

No one
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 21:06
"Ask any questions you may have and I will have an answer.

Again no question will go unanswered."

Q:   Does this seem accurate to you as well?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 21:24
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

"Ask any questions you may have and I will have an answer.

Again no question will go unanswered."

Q:   Does this seem accurate to you as well?

As always.      
No one
browninglover1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote browninglover1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 23:24
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

You do realize your FOV is Inches not feet at that distance right.

Look at the specs.

If you get to shoot prairie dogs at 25yrds can I come hunt on your land???

No, really can I?   I need to practice shooting with an internally suppressed 22lr I just got back, I think a 60gr should do the job.

I am just joking...(unless you really can get them that close.)

Back On Topic.

Do not hesitate on any other questions.

I am going to get some pictures up this weekend hopefully.

I do realize that the field of view would be super small.  I should have mentioned that I'm also thinking of putting the same scope on my T-Bolt and using it for an off season practice gun.  It would be fun to shoot the 50 foot indoor range with 16x Big Smile

Also, I have shot a few ground squirrels (the size of young PD's) at 30 feet and under but you need to an umbrella to keep from getting dirty Big Grin

One last question on the turrets, are they the "tactical" turrets or the covered "target" turrets?  I've found conflicting specs depending on where I look.

Also, I have a SIII 6-24 Mil Dot and the dots are HUGE, honestly to the point of being useless when using them for holdovers.  Are the dots huge on the fixed 16x as well?

Thanks,
Justin 
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2012 at 11:19
Do you think getting a  4-16x is worth it when you already have a 12x variable, or would you want to step up  to something in the 20x range.

This purchase will be for a double duty hunting/target gun on a 300mag build I've got in mind.  800yds is the longest we can find at the moment around here.  

Maybe the real question is:

What mag does a person need to see the a 2" bullseye on a 12" target at 600, 800, and 1000 yds?  I'm one of the individuals who likes more mag than necessary to hit the target.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2012 at 19:22
[/QUOTE]
I do realize that the field of view would be super small.  I should have mentioned that I'm also thinking of putting the same scope on my T-Bolt and using it for an off season practice gun.  It would be fun to shoot the 50 foot indoor range with 16x Big Smile

Also, I have shot a few ground squirrels (the size of young PD's) at 30 feet and under but you need to an umbrella to keep from getting dirty Big Grin

One last question on the turrets, are they the "tactical" turrets or the covered "target" turrets?  I've found conflicting specs depending on where I look.

Also, I have a SIII 6-24 Mil Dot and the dots are HUGE, honestly to the point of being useless when using them for holdovers.  Are the dots huge on the fixed 16x as well?

Thanks,
Justin 
[/QUOTE]

The SIII that they are selling on closeout has exposed tactical turrets.

They are just fine and they have been undervalued as far as I am concerned.

NO CONFLICT they are exposed.

The dots are not huge. I will have to get to a measured distance and tell you size but I believe they are Mil@100 no bigger @24x.

That is not really making sense to me but if at 100yrds you are trying to shoot a quarter or a cherry tomato with no reference that it could be hard or seem huge but I again don't think them to be off reference.

http://info.sightron.com/Riflescopes/SIII-Series/SIII16x42MMD/

DOT SIZE
No one
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2012 at 19:37
Originally posted by djp0623 djp0623 wrote:

Do you think getting a  4-16x is worth it when you already have a 12x variable, or would you want to step up  to something in the 20x range.

This purchase will be for a double duty hunting/target gun on a 300mag build I've got in mind.  800yds is the longest we can find at the moment around here.  

Maybe the real question is:

What mag does a person need to see the a 2" bullseye on a 12" target at 600, 800, and 1000 yds?  I'm one of the individuals who likes more mag than necessary to hit the target.

This is a hard one, I believe it to be personal preference I like a 10x on somethings and have just recently got into putting telescopes on long distance set ups. I used to be 25x tops now I have a 32x and a 50x I do not usually go over 24x with either but I have and they seem to work. I do still prefer to do most things at 10x -12x and am again just getting into the 16x fixed only because they didn't have a 10x or 12x at this price and the mechanicals are worth it to me even if I have a little less FOV at the distance this rifle/scope combo will be shooting I will still have a FOV of a few hundred feet at minimum.

At 800 yards 20x is still to much I would say. FOV is pretty small.

That being said a 10x vs a 20x will just make you see your tendencies it will not help you shoot, It could assist you in figuring out some bad habits and helping you miss smaller, some say it does cause they can focus in on a smaller object going along with the aim small miss small this can be true.

Getting back on topic a 16x fixed could help you but you loose all the low end benefits FOV being a huge one that helps me to keep centered and know whats going on around the target giving me a reference point.

This is a little loaded of a question as it really doesn't have to much to do with the scopes features but rather that of preference.

Maybe look into the 5-20x SS HD You will not be resolving a 2" bull at that 1000yrd distance but you will be resolving a clear picture of the target.

Again you kinda have to think in reticle mils your 2" bull vs 1 mil at that 800yrd distance is more like 2 feet so good luck on your 2" bull especially if you are new to this long distance shooting.

800 yard hunting shots can be done in a 3-6" vital but not usually in the 2" bull if you get my drift These are also achieved by seasoned hunters or people like "our" if I can call him that Ernie Bishop.

I am now re-reading your posts and am starting to realize you might just be hunting to 200-300yards in this case again you must have a low end of 3,4,5 or it might be lost hunting trip.
No one
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2012 at 12:25
Some asked if the SII Big Sky is the same scope or lenses as the SIII, I am not a Sightron Engineer so I do not know for sure,  I know they are not the same scope design, and to me the glass seems to be the same I have heard the outer lenses are the Zact 7 and the inner lenses on the Big Sky are not coated the same Zact 7 coatings but are just "fully multi coated", they are also two seemingly different executions of internals. 

I am not saying the SIII is not a better scope but it is marginally different to my eyes, It is a smidge brighter and a little differing in colors but it is not 25% better.   The construction is different it is a 30mm tube, the design is different, the turrets are different, the systems are different, but they are both solid scopes. 

I do not want anyone to get the impression I am saying buy the SII Big Sky over the SIII.  Right now it just happens to be that the SII Big Sky is the best scope for the money in my opinion at this time after rebate.  They are limited as far as SIII choices on closeout but those certainly trump the SII Big Sky.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - November/04/2012 at 06:03
No one
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 08:02
Sorry so late in getting pictures up.
For whatever reason Windows 8 uninstalled the 3.0USB Drivers and Memory Card reader so I had to modify it to get it to work, love Microsoft changing things that work rendering them inoperable.

SWFA SS 16X MQ vs Sightron SIII 16x MMD

4-16x, 4.5-14, 4.5-14

16x MMD, 4-16, 16x SWFA 16xMQ, 4.5-14x

TOP VIEW Sightron Top, SWFA Bottom

Sigtron Top Down

Actually 10yrds to infinity just showing spacing and the forward "grip" very easy with gloves on.

Note "Target Type Knob", Resettable. 1/4" Increment @100yrds.

Out of focus my fault.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - November/04/2012 at 08:07
No one
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 15:29

Steyr topped w/ Sightron SII Big Sky 4.5-14.  Was Redfield 6-18x

Steyr Topped w/ Sightron SII Big Sky 4.5-14. Was Redfield 6-18x

The First in the line-up was a 3-9 Tracker on the Sako Quad.  I am replacing with a Sightron SII Big Sky 3-10x50.  I might Use a Kahles Multizero that I have which would be the 4-12x56.

This is a Savage 93Blah Blah Blah in 17HMR. I got this in horse trading and just can't let go of it she is a tack driver as someone stated one time.  She will be topped with a Sightron SII Big Sky 4-16 way to much top end but the price was right.

Sako quad waiting for the Sightron SII Big Sky 3-10x50.  Still thinking Kahles Multi Zero it just makes sense.

For those of you wondering why the ring choices they are what they are they work I don't see the need to replace them.  If I had the money maybe I'd do something different but I don't.

My next set due in on Tuesday are replacing some older Hensoldt's and Zeiss's. I am excited to see the difference between a new 6x and an older 6x.  That should be interesting.

The old glass looks good to my eyes, but I can get out of them for more than what I have in them and that is why I am doing it.  The newer coatings cause a better color effect than the older glass but the older glass is purer, if that is the right term, to my eyes.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - November/04/2012 at 15:40
No one
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 16:09
Leupold mounts?? On one or more of those. If so some here will mock ya. ;)
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 16:12
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

Leupold rings?? On one or more of those. If so some here will mock ya. ;)

Haters gonna hate, some Leupy, some Burris, some Nikon (don't know whose relabel), all steel I believe. they all lined up pretty good.  Nothing you can bend from what I have seen so far. 

I hate from time to time but now money dictates everything.  They might not be my first choice but I think they will function for me.

No one
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2012 at 17:15
I put leupold scope and mounts on my tikka... you would have thought I killed someones first born. I recently bought two sightrons for my .223's... not a single negative comment. ;)
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 07:35
Quit fishing Rustic.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2012 at 10:56
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Quit fishing Rustic.

Na... just an observation and pointing out a funny trend around here. ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic