OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

zeis meopta minox

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: zeis meopta minox
    Posted: October/28/2012 at 16:34
Which one is the best conquest on the zeiss.Max $850 4x to 3x bottom end 12 14 15 20 top end.
mosdawg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2012 at 16:40
Its going on a .300 rum sendero.If that helps anyone out.
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2012 at 20:19
What kind of shooting will you be doing? I don't think you would make a mistake with either, but I am more inclined to go with a Zeiss on a hard kicker like the 300 rum. I have a Conquest and several Minox scopes. The heaviest caliber a Minox is on at my house is a 308 in a Ruger Compact. The Zeiss is on a 300wsm. I have no reason yet to doubt a Minox but the Zeiss is proven. I like the reticle on my Zeiss much better but I like the center resolution and brightness of the Minox more.

Jack
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2012 at 03:37
I picked up a Conquest 4.5-14x50 on the Sample List for less than $700 bucks.  It's on a 300 Win Mag.  I also have a Viper HS in 4-16x44, and the Conquest is clearer, and the parallax adjustment is a lot crisper on the conquest.  Sorry I can't quote on the meopta or the minox as I don't own them.

When I do my next build (likely an MOA Maximum in .284 Win), I'll probably look at either a Zeiss or a SS 5-20, and try the rifle scope on a handgun combo that I've been reading more about lately.  

Edited by DCAMM94 - October/29/2012 at 04:19
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
BobbyH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2012 at 07:12
I'm using a 4.5-14x50 conquest on my 300 Wby Mag and have had no problems so far.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2012 at 11:10
I would be happy with any of the three brands you list. But for me I would be more concerned about eye relief since it is going on a 300 rum. And as far as magnification range. What are you going to use it for and at what ranges? 
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2012 at 11:45
Tomato,Tumoto,as Sparky said.Me I prefer my Minox5X  4-20x50,I like the idea of focusing down to 10yds with no problem.Minox does have that sweet spot but has mushy turrets although it holds Zero with the best of the.

In case you don't know Zeiss bought out Meopta 2 years ago so you know the conquest & meopta are very close to being the same!You can't go wrong with either & I was told by Minox they test their Z5's out to & including 30win mag.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2012 at 11:56
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

In case you don't know Zeiss bought out Meopta 2 years ago

I don't think that is accurate.  Meopta is a Czeck company that has nothing to do with Zeiss.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2012 at 12:09
Zeiss has been farming out the Conquest to Meopta for several years now,then being assembled in the good old USA!I agree that Meopta is in Cz.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2012 at 13:17
The only thing Meopta does for Zeiss is it sells them the raw lenses.  Meopta is a OEM manufacturer for lenses, they sell to many companies for different purposes.  Other than that they are not related.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

MeoptaSurujh View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeoptaSurujh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2012 at 05:28
Zeiss does NOT own Meopta now or have they ever owned Meopta.
Supertool73 is correct that Meopta does OEM work for a number of companies, including Cabela's, but we are not owned by any other sport optic company.
Yes I work for Meopta, but I am not here to sell Meopta. Just answering questions and providing reasonable insight.
mosdawg View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2012 at 16:56
Shooting would be low light hunting I really like the meotpa 3-12x56 with the #4 ill rectile have never looked through one though.I like the minox also side focus have never looked through one of them either.
I have looked through the zeiss I really like the optics on it just dont know how vissible the rectile is in low light, have looked through the rz 800 and the z plex hard to decide which one to go with.

I like how thick the #4 looks on the meopta but once again I have never actually looked through one so I dont really know how thick it is.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2012 at 17:10
Be aware that some Meopta's are a little stingy in eye relief.  If your rifle is a boomer, being a little further away is a good thing.

That said, Meopta makes nice stuff for the price point.  I owned one (for about 2 days, returned it because it was meant for a light weight 300WM and it had only 2.75 inches of eye relief, which wasn't enough.)
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeoptaSurujh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 03:29
3.75 inches, right?  Meopta does not make any riflescopes with eye-relief as small as 2.75 inches.
Yes I work for Meopta, but I am not here to sell Meopta. Just answering questions and providing reasonable insight.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 09:21
Nope, 2.75 inches.  

http://swfa.com/Meopta-3-12x56-Meostar-R1-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P7993.aspx

Page says 3 inches, but it was 2.75, I measured it a few times prior to returning it.  Glass was great, eye relief was too short for the application.

So, they may be better now, but Meopta made at least 1 scope with a 2.75 inch eye relief.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Tikka View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2012 at 00:23
I actually was checking out exactly what you were looking at a few months back for my 243. I picked the meopta since it has the same glass as a conquest for cheaper. the minox glass isnt as great.

I got this guy
http://swfa.com/Meopta-6-18x50-Meopro-Rifle-Scope-P53705.aspx

Absolutely love it. Dials in perfect and brightens up the evening
Tikka View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tikka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2012 at 00:24
keep in mind, my 243 doesnt kick like your RUM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 09:45
I would like to correct a statement I made& that is Meopta was never purchased by Zeiss but in fact does do some glass work for them.I confirmed this by calling Meopta at their NY office.

I stand corrected & thank you Supertool for picking up on my error.Sorry for any misleading info I put out there Mouth Taped Shut
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 09:46
No worries, I have made that same phone call myself because I see that comment posted quite often.  

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MeoptaSurujh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2012 at 03:48
Also keep in mind that Zeiss is a very diverse company, doing work in military, industrial and medical applications, so work done by Meopta for Zeiss goes towards a wide range of products and applications, not just Sports Optics.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic