OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ordering a scope this weekend - complicated choice
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ordering a scope this weekend - complicated choice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ordering a scope this weekend - complicated choice
    Posted: October/27/2012 at 20:51
In a previous post I said that I was considering a Burris Eliminator.
I got some input from several people, did some more thinking, some more research and some more thinking. Then I decided to put that idea on hold. Not permanently, just for now. I do think I will buy one eventually, because I have gotten some feedback from more than one person that they really like it, but I also got some advice that I should make an intermediate step first.

I also decided that I should reduce my budget to $1,000.

BUT!!!

I don't want to spend a thousand dollars just for the sake of spending a grand.
I'm trying to be smart here.

Ultimately, I'm going to make my own choice, but I really want to hear what y'all have to say. So, if you've got a little time on your hands to ponder over some "what ifs", then read on. And thank you.

I called SWFA and spent a good long while on the phone with Charlie, trying to figure out what my best bets are.

Complicating this is the fact that I have 3 rifles to choose from Well, 4... sort of:

1) Howa 1500 in .308 (22" barrel) - (Potentially a candidate for a Scout Rifle, although a bit on the heavy side at almost 9 pounds on my fish scale. But then, the stock itself may be to blame.)

2) Winchester Model 70 in .270 w/ blind magazine (24" barrel)

3) Model 700 in 7mm Rem Mag w/ blind magazine (26" barrel)

4) Model 710 in .30-06 (22" barrel) (This model doesn't have a great rep for accuracy but I haven't actually shot it yet. I only mention it because... well, because it was there. I don't know if it's a real candidate.)

These are the (not all that similar) scopes I narrowed things down to:

SWFA SS 12X42 w/ Mil-Quad Reticle - $300

Sightron SII Big Sky 4.5-14x42 w/ Plex Reticle (Plain cross-hairs) - $280 (after rebate)

Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 w/ Dead-Hold BDC Reticle - $550

Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 w/ Rapid Z Reticle - $800-1000, depending on exact choice

Choice #1 would be the SWFA SS 12x42 Fixed AND the Sightron SII Big Sky. ($580)

Choice #2 would be the Vortex Viper HS AND EITHER the SWFA 12x42 OR the Sightron SII Big Sky. ($830-850)

Choice #3 would be the Zeiss Conquest and MAYBE the SWFA 12x42 or the Sightron SII Big Sky, depending on which Conquest I chose. ($800 - $1100 or so.)

So now it's a question of not only which scope or scopes, but which gun or guns?

I have to tell you that the 7mm RM, having a 26" barrel and a blind magazine (hence no cut-out that can decrease stiffness) seems like a good candidate to train myself up on 1,000 meter shooting.

It's also not lost on me that the .270 also has a blind mag, a 24" barrel and the two cartridges are fairly similar ballistically suggesting that one scope could work equally well on both guns.

So... What do YOU think?
The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2012 at 21:00
These are just my preferences, but based only upon the selections you mentioned, I would go with the 7mmRemMag w/Conquest and SS12x, though there is nothing wrong with the .308 choice w/same scopes.  I have no need for a .270 and the 710 is "like a boxa' chocolates"... There are some that perform well, but there are many that do not.  Too chancy unless you get to use it for a while first.  Check the samplelist for a Conquest... you may just find what you are looking for.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2012 at 21:30
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Check the sample list for a Conquest... you may just find what you are looking for.

That reminds me of something I forgot to bring up...

Zeiss has the following chart on their website:

Reticle Class Caliber Class Examples
Rapid-Z® 600 Standard Hunting .243, .270, .30-06,  .325 WSM, etc.
Rapid-Z® 800 Standard Hunting / Ultra Mag .300 Ultra Mag, .338 Ultra Mag, .300 Win Mag, etc.
Rapid-Z® 1000 Sniper / Tactical .308 Win.
Rapid-Z® Varmint Fast, Light-weight Bullets .204 Ruger, .220 Swift, .22-250, etc.

The 7mm RM isn't listed, but I would presume it would also fall under the Rapid-Z 600 and not any of the others.

That would make it a good choice for the 7mm and the .270.

But am I correct? IS that Z-600 right for the 7mm?

If it is, I seem to be limited to a 3.5-10 in either a 44 or 50 millimeter objective.

The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2012 at 22:10
Those are just the calibers a particular reticle is "optimized" for.  You can match your ballistics to the reticle of any of them... and would have to verify the ones listed.  I've had one BDC that was "dead on" with the caliber... sorry, but it was/is a BSA. 
Once you do your ballistic matching, any of those choices would be good.  If I were going for a rapid-Z scope, the 1000 would be my choice. 
Yes, it will take some shooting... but isn't that why we buy the things in the first place???  And isn't learning the intricacies of our equipment part of the mystique??? 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2012 at 22:20
Yeah, I'm going to have to go with a YES on that. Big Grin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic