OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Something must be wrong with me!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n4ue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Something must be wrong with me!
    Posted: October/27/2012 at 19:22
Please pardon me while I vent.......

Hi. I recently purchased a new Nikon Monarch 4-16X42 scope. Not being wealthy (retired Engineer), I did a LOT of research concerning this scope. I read volumes of reviews from every Google search for weeks. First thing I noticed, was the extremely nice fit/finish. There is NO complaint about the glass. I mounted it to my new Savage Axis in .223. Even though this rifle has less than 30 rounds of hBN coated bullets, it's very accurate. I fired it about 10 times to get it sighted in/plinking.
Back to the Nikon.... Mounted to the rifle, it seems 'toy-like'. I just do not like it. It reminds me of the 'old days' when we mounted those crude 7/8" scopes to our .22 rimfires.
I guess I have been spoiled by 30mm tubes. At 66 yrs, I guess the eyes are getting tired, although I still do not wear glasses.

Oh, I have 27 scopes, 13 mounted on accurate bolt actions. I have them all, from Barfska to Vortex.
I guess I'll get another Viper Vortex.

I am NOT bashing the Nikon, I am just pretty disappointed. I also recently purchased a Millett TRS-1 (my second) and everyone who looked through both, preferred the TRS-1. This was at 75 yds. This scope is going back for a refund. Anyone want to buy a 42mm sunshade???

I unfortunately (!!) also purchased the $$ sunshade.
I got a 'coupon' from Nikon for $10 off their accessories. Try as we did, my gf and I could NOT figger out how to order 'tall turrets' from the Nikon web site. (Easy to order the 'custom turrets). I wrote to Nikon and called the web site "user hostile', instead of 'user friendly'..... ha ha
Never heard back, except they asked me for customer feedback about the CS!!!!

ron
ron
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2012 at 20:15
Welcome Ron-

We all need to vent and rant at times.

I would suggest you try these.

They should not feel "toy-like".

http://swfa.com/Sightron-35-10x50-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9160.aspx

These are nicer for older eyes they are brighter because of the 50mm objective.  Very Easy glass to get behind.

http://info.sightron.com/Riflescopes/SII-Series---Big-Sky/SIIB351050/

http://swfa.com/Sightron-45-14x42-SII-Big-Sky-Riflescope-P9165.aspx

http://info.sightron.com/Riflescopes/SII-Series---Big-Sky/SIIB451442/

Nearly the same scope as the Nikon just built differently and has more ELEVATION.

If you are looking for a variable that is built like a tank and does very well with reviews but has a little less power.

http://www.samplelist.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Rifle-Scope-DEMO-B-P60366.aspx

Riflescopes
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Rifle Scope DEMO-B Product Grading Information
DEMO A: Like New In Box
DEMO B: Shows Very Slight Wear From Use
DEMO C: Shows Obvious Signs of Use

$499.95   
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Stock # - SPL17424 Add to Wishlist
Quantity:   More
Less

Manufacture Part#: SS39X42
Reticle: FFP Mil-Dot
Tube Diameter: 30mm
Finish: Matte
0.1 MRAD finger adjustable windage and elevation
DEMO-B
2 units available

I cannot suggest this strong enough.

Now that I have posted this it will go pretty quick.

The vortex scopes are solid but not like the SWFA 3-9.

Slightly used is nothing to shake your head about it will be mint or I will buy it and send you shipping money both ways (back to me of course)...

I suggest you give the 3-9 a try...

It will give you a greater crispness without any degradation of image quality.

Ok that is my rant...

NOW RANT ON.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - October/27/2012 at 20:25
No one
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2012 at 20:17
nothing wrong a vortex viper, i love my 2x7
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2012 at 09:19
I feel your disappointment, my last Monarch was a bust also,tunnel/fish bowl effect gave me tired eyes after 20-30 rounds,I do wear glasses but never had that problem with other scopes.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2012 at 14:03
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Yup! Me Too!
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
trojan73 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trojan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2012 at 17:28
Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

Yup! Me Too!
I really like my 6.5-20x50 Mildot and 6.5-20x44BDC
Im looking into buying a 3-9x40 Diamondback for my Savage 22LR
However, Im always looking for as good quality scopes for less$$, no luck so far.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.
George Washington
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2012 at 18:26
Originally posted by trojan73 trojan73 wrote:

Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

Yup! Me Too!
I really like my 6.5-20x50 Mildot and 6.5-20x44BDC
Im looking into buying a 3-9x40 Diamondback for my Savage 22LR
However, Im always looking for as good quality scopes for less$$, no luck so far.

while people are critical of the diamondbacks eye box, i didnt have much issue with its 3+ inches of eye relief, i didnt find it to be a difficult scope to get my sight picture right with either.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
n4ue View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n4ue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2012 at 15:29
Update......
ron
n4ue View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n4ue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2012 at 16:02
Whoops, sorry...

Hmmm, don't understand how "Update" got posted, whatever.........

Update.....

Glad it wasn't just me and these old eyes looking through the Monarch. Even though I'm 66, I still don't need prescription glasses. Inexpensive 'cheaters' of +2.00 from Wal-Mart work fine.

I sent the Monarch back since I was very disappointed in it. It was optically 'OK', but seemed cheap and 'toy-like'. This week I received my Vortex Viper 6.5-20X50. Today, I brought the Viper and a few others to let the guys I work with, have a peek through them. I was also trying to pick a scope to go on my Marlin 17 HMR from my 'spares'....Nothing high $$$, ha ha

I set up a couple of colorful targets/pictures at 70 yds and we started. I'll just list the scopes that were the group's favorites, starting from best to less than best. These guys are all seasoned hunters. We used sandbags for stability.

#1, was the Viper. Several guys commented "WOW! I LOVE this one". It is very, VERY nice. Since the Viper is aprox. the same $ as the Monarch, I'm sure glad the seller took the Nikon back!!

#2, was a Mueller 8.5-25X50. It is a nice scope, I just wish it had side focus......

#3, was an older Simmons White Tail Classic 6.5-20X50 (made in the Phillipines)

#4, was the Center Point 4-16X40. I made a 3" sunshade for it the other day. It came off the Marlin 17 HMR.

#5, was a Leapers 4-16X50

#6, was a Tasco 5-20X50

#1 was the clear winner. #2, 3, and 4 were close to each other. The last two were usable but just not in the same catagory.

I forgot to mention this trivia... Back in the mid '70s, I purchased a new Rem Model 700 BDL Varmint in .243. The guy in the gun store gave me a killer deal because he just couldn't move it. Since Mass. is a Shotgun (deer hunting) state, Varmint hunting just wasn't that popular, at the time. I wanted a scope for it, but having a young family, I couldn't afford a high $ glass. I bought a Tasco 20X40mm and it came broken in half! Yep, two piece tubes were the norm. I was pretty embarrassed showing it to my buddies. Anyway, it was replaced and I proceded to try (and try) to find a load that gun liked. I finally found it (!!) and the gun is excellent.
Two years ago, I purchased a more 'modern' optic for it (can't remember exactly what!!) but was shocked just HOW good that old Tasco looked! Jep, Japanese glass. NOW, I realize why everyone likes the SS scopes...
Just FWIW, ha ha

ron

ron
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2012 at 16:10
From one old Florida fart to another... I too have little love for the Monarch series. I have one Viper and it's pretty darn nice. You could do worse. LOL. Now, step up to the Swaro's etc. and really be impressed.  Big Grin
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic