OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

vx2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 10:30
I'm not a professional outfitter.  We both have real jobs.  We guide hunters on the side because we have great properties.  Here's a B&C antelope, one of several, and a big ram, but I obviously won't post 100+ pics.  No offense but I'm not too worried about it if you believe me or not. 

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 10:33
You like big mulies...........?

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 10:35
You like big whitetails......?

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 10:53
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

This subject of glass comes up quite a bit.  People have strong opinions about their optics and what they spend their hard earned money on.  I'm sure they have their reasons just like I do.  After almost 11 years of guiding aoudad, deer, and antelope hunters, here's what I've noticed, and I get to handle lots and lots of optics that the hunters show up with (estimating as honestly as I can):

Riflescopes:
60% use Leupold of some config
30% show up with Swaro something
10% show up wit Zeiss, S&B, and a very few NF's and Bushnell Elite's which are great. 
Never had anyone show up with Sightron, Nikon, Tasco, Vortex,etc

Bino's:
75% Swaro
10% Zeiss
10% Leica
5% Meopta, Leupold, B&L,etc
Never had anyone show up with Nikon, Sightron, Vortex, or anything else I can remember. 

I find this interesting. 

That sounds to me like:  Everyone who pays big bucks to go hunting has lots of money. 

Visit the Ed Show
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 10:58
I think I agree with JG on this, pretty much any scope these days over $150 have decent enough glass.  They are a far cry from the best glass, but in 90% of hunting situations they will work.  Holding POI I would say is the number 1 important part of a scope IMO.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 10:59
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

if you cant see what your shooting at poi dont mean sh*t!

poi turns out to be " POS "

Peddler YippeeYippeeYippee
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 11:06
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 11:09

" I don't mean to be crass....but maybe we all need to go down to the Ed Show and get loaded! "  

Visit the Ed Show
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 11:15
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

That sounds to me like:  Everyone who pays big bucks to go hunting has lots of money. 

Not even remotely true. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 11:20
i'm gonna say this about leupold then I'll shut up.  Do they work, yes, are the over priced, yes, are there better options for the same money, yes.  Does the other options have as big of a name, NO.  Leupold is so big because they have been around forever and they sell more than anyone else probably combined.  They survive by being a brand people know.  They are coming around though.  The VXR line has really been a step in the right direction, I like them,  I used a VX6 on a hunt in Texas earlier this year.  Wasn't impressed with it for the cost.  There will always be people who will sew in a gold ring to their favorite pair of undies and will never see anything but them being great,  sheep would be a good term here.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 11:24
Welp......okay.   Not everyone who goes hunting with you has lots of money and drives Ferraris. 
However, what those folks are bringing with them to go hunting with you out in the High Country is not some kind of indicator of what is Good and what is Inferior. 

Visit the Ed Show
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 13:10
Didn't say it was a clear indicator, did I?  I just stated the facts of what I've seen.  It's also not at all high country, it's mostly desert except for the whitetails, but hardly high country.  
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 13:23
SVT, shouldn't you have said "in my opinion", "IMO", etc?  Bushnell sells more glass than anyone else BTW.  I had a link for that and I'll see if I can find it.  For the record, i have scopes, binos, and spotters by several different makers as I'm not a brand loyalist at all.  Far from it.  Companies survive because they deliver a combination of good products, great service, and competitive prices.  This is true in any industry IMO.  Everyone that sees my VX6 compared to their NF, Swaro A and Z5, Conquest, etc all agree it's  super good scope with super glass.  Not one has disagreed, but you see what you see and that's fine by me.  There are many types of glass I'm not impressed with at all for the price, i.e. EDG anything, Swarovision, Razor binos, NF scopes are very rugged, track well, but glass is very average, and I'm sure I could think of more if I really wanted to spend time thinking about it.  Everyone knows that with Leupy you pay a little more upfront for peace of mind for the rest of your life.  Common knowledge.  It's up to the individual to determine if that's too much.  The only scope I had go tits up on a hunt was a Swaro A.  

Please do not misunderstand me.  Your opinions are a valid as mine are, no doubt, and you're a knowledgable guy, no doubt.  There's lots of choices today, lots of good choices.  I continue to find it interesting though, that on our hunts that range from $2500-$5000 people always bring what they have confidence in.  Wouldn't you?  

BTW, did you like the pics?
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 13:39
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

i'm gonna say this about leupold then I'll shut up.  Do they work, yes, are the over priced, yes, are there better options for the same money, yes.  Does the other options have as big of a name, NO.  Leupold is so big because they have been around forever and they sell more than anyone else probably combined.  They survive by being a brand people know.  They are coming around though.  The VXR line has really been a step in the right direction, I like them,  I used a VX6 on a hunt in Texas earlier this year.  Wasn't impressed with it for the cost.  There will always be people who will sew in a gold ring to their favorite pair of undies and will never see anything but them being great,  sheep would be a good term here.

I agree somewhat but, just like some maybe overly brand loyal there is the same thing going on with quality of the "glass" on any Leupold will get most anyone past legal shooting hours.

I have a few Leupolds one conquest and one z3 my eyes are not good enough to tell the difference on "glass" quality. I would say "in hand" build quality of z3 is slightly better than vx3's but, it should it costs more. I payed about $200 more for the conquest than the latest vx3 I purchased both are 4.5x14 it looks to me they have the same glass "in hand" build quality of the vx3 "feels" clearly better to me IMHO.

Another reason I think Leupold has the market is they are good enough priced well enough available enough to fit the bill of most people. Plus they have scopes that fit specific needs better than others for instance for a higher mag lightweight scope with simple plex lots of accessoires a hold on dial system in the $500 range with ultra responsive C/S.

They just work why else would the sell so many??

Edited by rustic - October/24/2012 at 13:49
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 13:44
rustic,

Sounds like you want the VX-2, so get it.

The question isn't if the scopes available will do the job, they will.

You just get a better overall scope, IMO, with the Sightron on sale. I think you might really like it.
-Matt
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 13:49
Cant see pictures at work unless you upload them to the OT server through the member control panel, security feature at work. 

And your also right all that is my opinion.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 13:55
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

rustic,

Sounds like you want the VX-2, so get it.

The question isn't if the scopes available will do the job, they will.

You just get a better overall scope, IMO, with the Sightron on sale. I think you might really like it.

I need a couple of scopes for .223s I have never looked through a sightron the price is right. I am just not sure on the vx2 to tell you the truth vx3 no brainier for me but a vx2 not sure...

I'm thinking I will go with the sightrons. Lens covers??
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 14:02
I have a 4x FX2.  In normal light it works just fine for me.  In low light it is a little lacking, but usable.  My biggest gripe is when looking in the general direction of the sun in early morn or late evening, it completely whites out.  It actually cost me a shot at an elk because of that.  I have it on a 10/22 now and it is wonderful for it. 

I have a sightron big sky and it does not have that white out issue for me.  Optically it is a step up from the fx2 IMO. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 14:38
Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope Stock # - SI39X40

Matte 1" Plex CLOSEOUT PRICE Was $137.95 Now $79.95

Any good??
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 14:52
Go with the Sightron big sky... Very comparable to a VX3... I have both, I like both but as I have stated other places the big sky is a very easy scope to get behind.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic