OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

vx2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vx2
    Posted: October/23/2012 at 22:06
Leopold vx2 3x9 CDS for $299 seems to me a very good deal?? Thoughts?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 07:43
id rather pay $249 for the sightron sII big sky 3.5x10 myself.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 07:48
Not a fan, better scopes out there glass wise that can have turrets added or will come with them.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 08:32
To me, that looks like $50 below the normal 'minimum advertized price.' (or maybe it's a minimum selling price with Leupy)

So, if it's a scope you'd like, I'd say buy it.  There's more to being a good rifle scope than just glass, though there's nothing wrong with Leupy's glass.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 08:34
Originally posted by MZ5 MZ5 wrote:

To me, that looks like $50 below the normal 'minimum advertized price.' (or maybe it's a minimum selling price with Leupy)

So, if it's a scope you'd like, I'd say buy it.  There's more to being a good rifle scope than just glass, though there's nothing wrong with Leupy's glass.

really?? like what?? glass is everything when it comes to a good quality scope.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 08:47
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Originally posted by MZ5 MZ5 wrote:

Not hardly.  FOV, forgiving eye box, durabilitly, repeatable adjustments that hold POI......these are just  a few of the characteristics of a quality scope.  The VX2's are great so far.  Time will tell how well they hold up.  My antelope landowner  put the VX2 3-9x40 on a 25-06.  We fiddled with it for an hour or two while guiding antelope hunters, pegging a few 'yotes.  Lot's to like about it IMO. 

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 08:49
if you dont have good glass the rest is irrelevant. 
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 08:51
If it doesn't hold POI, the best glass on the planet is irrelevent too.  
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 08:51
if you cant see what your shooting at poi dont mean sh*t!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 08:53
Any $150+ scope nowadays has good enough glass to kill game with.  Your comment was that good glass was the only criteria.  That's false by anyone's account.  
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 08:54
Seems like a good deal on a decent scope.

the deal on the Sightron S2BS is way, way better.
-Matt
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 08:55
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Any $150+ scope nowadays has good enough glass to kill game with.  Your comment was that good glass was the only criteria.  That's false by anyone's account.  

glass is the foundation, think of it that way. if your foundation is crap, whats the rest really worth???
my whole point was that there are better options for less money in this case....
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 08:59

Reminder....here's what you said.....a far cry from "glass is the foundation....."  It's not worth arguing over anyway.  People should buy what the like and use what works best for them.  I can take my neighbor's VXIII and kill anything with it I can kill with a S&B Summit I had.  Looked through them at a 185" buck side by side at dusk.  No problemo. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 09:03

Reminder....here's what you said.....a far cry from "glass is the foundation....."  It's not worth arguing over anyway.  People should buy what the like and use what works best for them.  I can take my neighbor's VXIII and kill anything with it I can kill with a S&B Summit I had.  Looked through them at a 185" buck side by side at dusk.  No problemo. 

i like to fire up the loopy fanatics, i know what i said. and i will agree with you that its not worth arguing over.Roll on Floor Laughing

i still think that glass is the most important part of a scope.

Edited by pyro6999 - October/24/2012 at 09:10
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 09:19
This subject of glass comes up quite a bit.  People have strong opinions about their optics and what they spend their hard earned money on.  I'm sure they have their reasons just like I do.  After almost 11 years of guiding aoudad, deer, and antelope hunters, here's what I've noticed, and I get to handle lots and lots of optics that the hunters show up with (estimating as honestly as I can):

Riflescopes:
60% use Leupold of some config
30% show up with Swaro something
10% show up wit Zeiss, S&B, and a very few NF's and Bushnell Elite's which are great. 
Never had anyone show up with Sightron, Nikon, Tasco, Vortex,etc

Bino's:
75% Swaro
10% Zeiss
10% Leica
5% Meopta, Leupold, B&L,etc
Never had anyone show up with Nikon, Sightron, Vortex, or anything else I can remember. 

I find this interesting. 

rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 09:28
Obviously I would like to have good glass but, how much "better" is out there? At that price range? My eyes are not what they used to be.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 09:28
ive had good luck with every scope ive owned. ive never had any go bad on me. i didnt much like the burris ffII's i had, which is why i got rid of them. i own or have owned several brands, all worked fine. vortex viper, nikon monarch and buckmaster, leupold varix-II leupold m8-12x, bushnell 4200 elite, ior valdada. maybe some day i will be your first to bring a vortex??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 09:34

This subject of glass comes up quite a bit.  People have strong opinions about their optics and what they spend their hard earned money on.  I'm sure they have their reasons just like I do.  After almost 11 years of guiding aoudad, deer, and antelope hunters, here's what I've noticed, and I get to handle lots and lots of optics that the hunters show up with (estimating as honestly as I can):

Riflescopes:
60% use Leupold of some config
30% show up with Swaro something
10% show up wit Zeiss, S&B, and a very few NF's and Bushnell Elite's which are great. 
Never had anyone show up with Sightron, Nikon, Tasco, Vortex,etc

Bino's:
75% Swaro
10% Zeiss
10% Leica
5% Meopta, Leupold, B&L,etc
Never had anyone show up with Nikon, Sightron, Vortex, or anything else I can remember. 

I find this interesting. 

What is the name of the place you guide at?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 10:03
Me and my neighbor run it ourselves and only take 10-15 guys per year.  I'm not an advertiser here so I'll leave it at that.  Why do you ask? 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 10:20
Just curious.  You offer these numbers and such and put on a front of a professional outfitter.  Just want to see the proof so to speak.  I'm not doubting "you" personally,  I doubt everyone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic