OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

In need of..........Wood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In need of..........Wood
    Posted: October/23/2012 at 16:06

At the risk of all things with yall I got to post this.  My uncle has built himself a wood lathe and is turning wooden bowls on it.  Hobby only but he has made a few very beautiful ones out of cedar, aged pecan and some swamp cypress.   So if any of yall have any rare, exotic, cool wood let me know.  I took the last block I saw him turn would fit into the medium flat rate USPS boxes so that size would be about perfect.  Anyone got some laying around that they wanna give away/sell cheap?  I'll cover shipping cost.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2012 at 16:17
ive got a bunch of maple, but its all 1x stuff, nothing thick
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2012 at 17:10
Geez G,

I saw this thread and thought a jokester spammer hacked your account.

Sorry, I don't have anything for you, I wish I would have known a couple of months ago when I cut down the recently dead poplars in the yard, though.
-Matt
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2012 at 17:47
Black Walnut

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2012 at 18:27
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Black Walnut

That "wood" be nice.  Big Grin 
Sorry, Wes. Black walnut reminds me of IA.  

I had a guy give me around 4 or 5 truck loads of cherry that had been cut down into 2 ft lengths. 
I burnt it in my wood stove one winter.  Bucky   Man, that cherry burned HOT, I'll tell you. My friend still can't believe I burnt all that cherry up. 

What types of wood are you looking for, Graham? I burn wood all winter and run into all different kinds. 
Red oak, white oak, maple, hickory, poplar, with an occasional fruit or nut tree. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2012 at 18:32
I have a nice 12-15"cedar log about 6 ft long. Come and get it.I has aged about 3 years.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2012 at 19:46
ive got some minnesota grown black walnut, but im saving it for stock work
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2012 at 20:36
The big problem with wood is it doesnt take much of it to become heavy and expensive to ship.  What state would it go to?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 06:25
My office is across the street from an rare, exotic, cool wood importer dealer. if he see's something on-line or what ever let m know and I'll go see if they have it there. I don't play with wood so I'm not sure whats what but I can take a pic of it if it would help.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 07:43

For the size he is working on now a block of wood that would fit into the USPS medium flat rate boxes would be about perfect for him. 

Cherry, walnut, burl, anything that you think would look good turned into a bowl.  He has a bunch of cedar already and some of the common wood we have here in NC.  Its the stuff we don't have here that he wants to try.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 09:01
If you are going to use the bowl for food beware that many of the exotic woods have oils that are tcxic to humans.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 09:35

Decoration more than anything.  he just text me a picture of some ornaments he made with some cedar last night.  Very cool looking.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 10:30
Give some demensions on the box size, G.
The maple tree that fell across the drive is hard as iron, and very pretty. I also have not split it yet, or cut down to the stump area. It may well be curley maple. If your interested I could send you a chunk. Otherwise it's destined for the stove next year.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 11:04
The medium is 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" ,  The large which would also be fine is 12" x 12" x 5-1/2"  it cost about 16 to ship the large regardless of weight. 
If you do get a block you have to cut it a certain way. just like youd split a log in half with a wood spliter, you use half the log like that to turn the bowl.  
If you get a piece of that maple that will fit in a 12"x12" box BF let me know and I'll send you some $ to cover shipping to get it to me. 
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 11:22
Thunbs Up
Gotcha
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/31/2012 at 22:54

here is one he made out of a old rotton piece of wood from the swamp. He spalted it to give it some character.  It is my favorite he has done so far.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2012 at 06:33
Man, that's cool looking, G!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/01/2012 at 07:29
He layered two pieces of red cedar on the top for a lip and on the bottom for a base.  Pictures dont do it justice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic