OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is this simply the best scope deal at the moment?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is this simply the best scope deal at the moment?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alee18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this simply the best scope deal at the moment?
    Posted: October/22/2012 at 22:35
I have been in the market for the Nikon Monarch 4-16x44 model and the best I have found was $360 shipped. However, today I have stumbled upon Vortex Viper 6.5-20x40 at $280 shipped. Is this basically a no brainier should I just jump on this deal or am I missing something?

This scope will be going on my basic Savage Axis in .223 that will be mainly used as a range target rifle at about 100-200 yards only.

Also If I decide to go with Viper, I will need to get new 30mm rings. I heard nothing but great things about Vortex scopes and CS, but what about their 30mm rings for only $20? Normally I would ignore rings at this price point however if Vortex gets good reviews for their scopes how bad can their rings be?

Thank you so much in advance.

alee18 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alee18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2012 at 23:31
Correction Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 and Viper 6.5-20x44 sorry been looking at many different configurations. 
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2012 at 05:41
Which ever way you proceed you might be best served by Tally 1 piece rings.Yes they are a tad more coin but buy once cry once!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
alee18 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alee18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 00:25
Any comparison between the two? Which is a better scope and better buy for the money?
trojan73 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trojan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 00:32
alee

I have the Vortex Viper 6.5x20-44 in BDC and it is a great scope, I dont think your going to find a better deal than that. I called today to see when they would be available and they yold me they would have them by bext week. I dont know too much about Nikons, but from the reviews ive read, Vortex is the better of the two, again, from what ive read. I paid 380 for my Viper.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.
George Washington
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 10:08
I can only speak of the Monarch as I never owned a Vortex, I did not like my Monarch and sold it due to poor eye relief and tunnel/fishbowl effect of glass others however have told me they had no problems.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 11:16

" I'm going to have Paramount send all of these fellows a Spell Checker for Christmas. "  

" Joey Heatherton is going to deliver it......." 

Visit the Ed Show
alee18 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alee18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 12:30
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

" I'm going to have Paramount send all of these fellows a Spell Checker for Christmas. "  

" Joey Heatherton is going to deliver it......." 

That sounds bad. The monarch is supposed to have 3.7-4" eye relief while vortex viper is 3.3. I know that 3.3 is really pushing it bc my bushnell elite was the same and I didn't like it. But if you are saying the same about monarch then what are u running now?
alee18 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alee18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 12:36
Originally posted by oldguy oldguy wrote:

I can only speak of the Monarch as I never owned a Vortex, I did not like my Monarch and sold it due to poor eye relief and tunnel/fishbowl effect of glass others however have told me they had no problems.

That sounds bad. The monarch is supposed to have 3.7-4" eye relief while vortex viper is 3.3. I know that 3.3 is really pushing it bc my bushnell elite was the same and I didn't like it. But if you are saying the same about monarch then what are u running now?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic