OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope mount help for Ruger M77 MkII

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbwitharuger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope mount help for Ruger M77 MkII
    Posted: October/21/2012 at 20:17
Working on a long action Ruger M77 MkII with a Burris Fullfield II 4.5-14x42mm.  Scope is currently mounted with Ruger's standard #5 (front) and #6 (rear) rings. 

Eye relief is too far forward, and the scope needs to move back, however adjustment is maxed out on the scope body, and Ruger scope mounts sit into an half round groove/indent of sorts, so the mounts cannot be moved back on the rail.

The local hunting store was no help.  I'd like to try the Ruger offset scope mount, but on their website and CheaperThanDirt, all I can find is #4 offset for the front.  I would need a #5 offset for the front to keep my #6 rear mount....which I can't seem to find online.  It does not look like there is enough room to drop the scope down using #4 front and #5 rear, as Ruger's website seems to suggest.

Can someone point me to a Ruger M77 MkII compatible 1" ring set that does not have the Ruger half-round indent (preferably in stainless)?  or a Ruger #5 offset front ring? or a better alternative?

Thanks for your help.
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2012 at 22:18
I think some bases like these would do what you need and would work with any weaver ring.
http://swfa.com/Burris-Ruger-to-Weaver-Base-Adapter-P2146.aspx

Your rings would depend on your budget, but I like the these
http://swfa.com/TPS-Tactical-Scope-1-Rings-P41953.aspx

I don't own any Ruger bolt guns at this point, so this is just food for thought until the regulars chime in... good luck.
trojan73 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trojan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2012 at 23:01

Take a look at this, I found it on another website: This is from Ruger, hope this helps

Ruger 1 Extended Front Ring Mount 4KO Silver Medium
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.
George Washington
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2012 at 02:00
A medium offset Ruger front ring and a high Ruger rear ring should work. Like immediate previous post.

Another solution would be the Burris M77 to Weaver type adaptors that will allow Burris Zee type mounts to be used on the MKII.

The clamping screws on the Burris base are opposing and that means that there is a possibility of binding a scope tube if the bases and rings are not aligned but this can be fixed by using Burris signature rings with eccentric plastic inserts. The scope height when using medium Burris signature Zee rings and adaptor will be greater than when using Ruger medium front and high rear rings. The front adaptor base has two cross slots. I use the Burris Zee type rings with +20, -20 rear insert with adaptor on one of my MKII's because nobody makes a 20 MOA base for the MKII.

newbwitharuger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbwitharuger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2012 at 14:00
Originally posted by GetSome GetSome wrote:

I think some bases like these would do what you need and would work with any weaver ring.
http://swfa.com/Burris-Ruger-to-Weaver-Base-Adapter-P2146.aspx

Your rings would depend on your budget, but I like the these
http://swfa.com/TPS-Tactical-Scope-1-Rings-P41953.aspx

I don't own any Ruger bolt guns at this point, so this is just food for thought until the regulars chime in... good luck.

thanks.  this is certainly an option.

Originally posted by trojan73 trojan73 wrote:

Take a look at this, I found it on another website: This is from Ruger, hope this helps

I did find these on CheaperThanDirt and Ruger's website.  They are only available in a #4, not the #5 height I need.

Originally posted by Stevey Ducks Stevey Ducks wrote:

A medium offset Ruger front ring and a high Ruger rear ring should work. Like immediate previous post.

As I mention above, these medium offset rings (#4) will most likely not work for me.  looking at the drop difference between the #6 rear I have now, and the #5 front I have now, I don't think I can drop the scope down more with a #4 front/#5 rear.  There is maybe 1/4" between the scope and the barrel right now, and if I'm to move it back to get better eye relief, the scope may actually need to move up...not down.

I was hoping someone had this same setup, or something very close, and could post a picture of how they set it up.

Another solution would be the Burris M77 to Weaver type adaptors that will allow Burris Zee type mounts to be used on the MKII.

Are you talking about the M77 or M77 Mk2? Does the M77 mount the same way as the M77 MkII?

The clamping screws on the Burris base are opposing and that means that there is a possibility of binding a scope tube if the bases and rings are not aligned but this can be fixed by using Burris signature rings with eccentric plastic inserts. The scope height when using medium Burris signature Zee rings and adaptor will be greater than when using Ruger medium front and high rear rings. The front adaptor base has two cross slots. I use the Burris Zee type rings with +20, -20 rear insert with adaptor on one of my MKII's because nobody makes a 20 MOA base for the MKII.

do you have a picture of this setup and can you provide some part numbers or a link to parts?

Thanks again.

[/QUOTE]
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2012 at 18:22
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

Be advised:
Forum rules prohibit hot linking other vendors websites. Please and thank you kindly. 

Also, you may want to PM our resident Ruger expert, bugsNbows about Ruger mounting solutions.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2012 at 11:08
PM sent. Mark, time to change your drugs...LOL. I'm no expert on anything. Big Grin
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
newbwitharuger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newbwitharuger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2012 at 11:17
Update:

Special thanks to bugsNbows, who sent me some of his spare Ruger scope mounts.  As I suspected, I found the #4 to be far too short.  With the comfortable eye relief, the scope sat on the barrel and was out of the front mount by at least 1/2".

Looks like the only option left is a Weaver or Picatinny mount style, and new rings.

I found Weigand sells a Picatinny rail - are there any other brands available (aside from the swfa link above)? Any comments on these particular rails, or others?

Thanks again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic