OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris Extreme Scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris Extreme Scopes
    Posted: October/21/2012 at 15:27
Has anyone evaluated the Burris Extreme series of scopes comparing them to similar popular counterparts such as Vortex PST, Zeiss Conquest, Sightron III, SWFA SS, etc?  I think these are still made in the US so if the quality compares the value should be there with a price advantage to scopes made in Europe, Japan and the Philippines based on what FED policy has done to the dollar.  Also how do they compare to Leupold VX III/3 scopes made in the US.  (I recognize that the Extreme and VX III/3 scopes most likely use some foreign parts, possibly even lenses.)  Don't forget to vote!!   Yippee
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2012 at 16:01
I have the Burris XTR 3-12x50.  I also have several SS scopes in different configurations.  The optics are better on the SS.  For the price, I would save the extra money to get an SS.  I prefer the SS for the optics, FFP feature, reticle design, and CS.  The Burris has been good scopes for me (have the XTR, BD, FF II) and they have or are getting replaced with SS optics.

A few things I do like about the Burris is the durability and for the XTR, the stormcoat.  I have tortured most scopes I own and the SS is the toughest so far, with Burris right behind if not there with it.

The Conquest is slightly better optically as well.  Haven't played much with the PST, so I can't comment too much on that, although is seems to be a better bang for the buck.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2012 at 16:30
My chief complaint on the Burris "tactical" scopes would be that the reticle and adjustments do not match. After shooting a scope that has both mil knobs, and a mil reticle, I will never go back. Not to mention it is only available with a SFP reticle. There are many scopes that have a much better cost-to-feature ratio, especially at upwards of $1000.00...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2012 at 17:02
I am leaning toward the SS 3-9x for a 6.5 Grendel AR platform rifle I will have soon.  Having had good experience with a couple of inexpensive FF II BDC scopes on general purpose rifles I was curious about why I didn't see more mention of the Extreme series here.  Being they don't offer FFP and mil/mil options probably contributes to this.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic