OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

project rifle needs a scope: ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apache17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: project rifle needs a scope: ideas?
    Posted: October/20/2012 at 05:28
Hi eveyone. I am new to the forum, and am posting in order to try and gather up some ideas about possible courses of action.

I am an 11B3V(P) PSG forward deployed to the "Ghan." Right before I deployed, I was able to send a rifle of mine down to RIfle Dynamics in Las Vegas. It is a Romak 3/PSL-54C. I have arranged for Jim Fuller and his staff to work it over and turn it into a capable DMR type rifle along the lines of their "Guerilla Sniper Rifle" package. I am very looking forward to getting it back around the same time as I return home.

I am wondering what the collective opinion might be as to what kind of scope would be appropriate. I am not B4 trained, but I am the resident "gun guy" and am familiar with mil/mil corrections and the associated concepts. Any help with this as far as ideas and or suggestions would be great. Thanks very much.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2012 at 08:33
what caliber? how far do you want to push it? i personally feel the swfa 5-20 is the best buy for an hd long range scope. the glass is superb, and the adjustments are perfect. and it's built like a tank. the vortex razor is a nice scope too. there are a lot of great scopes, just depends on your price range.

apache17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apache17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2012 at 09:07
price range isnt too much of an issue, I would like to keep it at or near to $1k. The caliber of the weapon is 7.62x54R(think oversized AK47 DMR, like what a soviet version of the Mk14EBR could have looked like). Jim fuller and his crew have been tweaking and refining these types of weapons for several years now, and I was fortunate enough to get ahold of them before I deployed. I have a lot of CQM experience, and have been trained as a SDM. I would be comfortable with a low fixed or mid variable scope, will a mil/mil adjustment system. I have heard a lot of folks in the forums who speak very highly of SWFA SS scopes, why are they not more widely marketed? How is the 6x42?
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2012 at 09:43
First off Thakyou for your Service!Welcome to the OT!

I have no experience with the 6x but I do own 10X [old & new HD version]These scopes are almost indestuctable,come with the best warrenty in the business & are the best bang for the buck out there.I think if you want better glass you might want to look at the HD scopes from SWFA not that there is anything wrong with the original 10x or it's smaller brother the 6X,but in this case you get what you pay for.

As for me I prefer the older version as I can focus down to 10yds where as the HD version I can start focusing at 40 yds.

Good luck with your build & be safe.....God Bless you & your family American Flag
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
apache17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apache17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2012 at 10:34
Thank you very much for the kind words. I can honestly say that it has been and continues to be my pleasure to do what I do.

I very much appreciate the input and advice about what kind of optic would be viable for this platform.

To clarify: it is chambered in 7.62x54R, will have a 19in barrel, 4 grooves RH, 1:12.5, a smith vortex flash hider, and feed from 10rd removable box mags. I am having a texas weapons systems 1913 rail mounted on the top cover, where the scope will end up being mounted. the rifle is generally being worked over from head to toe, inside and out, new furniture, finish, everything. I can't wait.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2012 at 18:33
I miught be reading between the lines but kinda sounds like your concerened with recoil,if this is the case let me ease your mind about all the SWFA SS scopes,they are garrentied to work with anything incluiding 50 cal Barret.

My 10X has ridden my T/C 460 mag for over 1000rds & this rifle was kind enough to brake 2 other scopes of mine including a Bushnell elite 2.5-16x50 which they assured me can handle .50cal recoil.Hope this helps...............Ernie
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2012 at 21:09
Well when you come home with cash burning a hole in your pocket wanting a scope I know if it were me I would buy a Heinsoldt -- I like this one. But then again I would not go 7.62x54 Russian I would either go  .308 or 300 WSM which is my favorite or 300 Win Mag and I would have GAPrecision build the rifle.  http://www.gaprecision.net/
Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight Zeiss 4-16x56 Tactical Hensoldt Telescopic 34mm Sight
Stock # - ZEI10139088
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Mil-Dot
  • 34mm
  • Target Knobs
  • Side Focus
  • 0.1 MRAD
  • 1st Focal Plane Reticle
$3,462.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - October/20/2012 at 21:14

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2012 at 21:15
For a rifle with a scope in the thousand dollar range the 5-20x50 Super Sniper is as good as it gets.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
apache17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apache17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2012 at 01:15
Thank you everyone for the input and advice, again, very appreciated. As for recoil, I have never had a scope lose zero from that, but my experience is with all issued optics: Aimpoint M68, Leupold Mk4 M3A, Trijicon Acog TA31RCO/M4, and Elcan M145. All the civilian scopes I own at home reflect that experience in that they are all from the same brands, albeit different models sometimes, like the aimpoint, I went with a compM3, with the 2MOA dot, instead of the four I "grew up" with in the army.

Yeah, a Zeiss Hensholdt would pretty much be amazing, but I wouldn't be able to mount it on a worthy platform or feed it a good diet, high in match grade goodness. That is honestly one of the big reasons why I am going wih the 7.62x54R for this project, is that the ammo is so cheap, and concerning ballistics, its pretty similar to 7.62x51mm out to 500m, weight for weight-ish. I dont expect that 500m will be my outer limit, just sayin, after that, the rds start behaving more and more differently. I am sure that I won't intend for the platform to go past 800m to target.

Please keep feeding me the input and advice guys, I do appreciate it, and I promise, when I finally get home, and I finally get my rifle back from Jim Fuller, and I finally pick and mount an optic, I will post pics galore.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2012 at 10:29
This is meant as an  inquisative question ,'
"have you asked Jim Fuller his advise on a scope"Most gunsmiths are usually shooters & have lots of input on glass? 
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2012 at 11:32
You said low to mid power
I would be looking at like a 1-6
The SS 1-6 would certainly be a good option.

I don't like fixed power scopes as I like the flexibilty of a variable scope, especially the ability to dial down for increased field of view.

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2012 at 12:01
Not familiar with mounting options and if an ACOG would sit too high but sounds like a something like the TA11 in a 308 calibrated Reticle could work with a little fine tuning.
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

apache17 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apache17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2012 at 13:13
Thanks very much to everyone who has taken time to respond to this thread, I do appreciate the input and advice.

I have not been able to talk directly with Jim fuller since I deployed, but via their customer service email, I did receive some good advice to wait until I received the rifle before purchasing any mounting hardware, regardless of the scope type I wanted to get. They did tell me that several other customers have been happy with low power variable scopes with BDC reticles calibrated for 7.62x51mm, though most 7.62x51mm calibrated scopes tend to be set up for either 175gr or 168gr and I do intend to feed 147gr.

I actually have a low power variable that I am very happy with, it’s a Leupold VX-R “Zombie.” Before you guys mentally banish me from the “grown up table,” please understand that I bought it IN SPITE of the marketing crap etched all over it, not BECAUSE of it. I bought it because the Firedot SPR Reticle has a green dot instead of a red one, and as I understand it, human eyes see green pretty easy (PVS-14’s, etc). I do agree with everyone who has ever said in another thread anywhere that the SPR reticle is less than precise in its subtensions, but in its intended role (or what I think its intended role is), it has done just fine for me with a 50m BMZ mounted on a 20in stainless RRA flat top standard.   The clicks are ¼ MOA, but I don’t think I will do much dialing with that reticle/scope combo.

I do love ACOG’s, both at work and at home: TA31RCO/M4 at work, TA01B/PTR91F at home. I have never had one lose zero, but then again, I’ve never tried to do box drills with one, nor have I tried to develop “dope” for one, I just zero at 25m for the 300m BZO and then refine at 100m. I think it would be interesting to look at the TA11 as an option, as far as mag and FOV, I would be interested to see how it is different from my TA01B.

I have considered the 1-6x option, and it seems like just as valid an option as any other.   I am curious to see what comes out of the woodwork at next years SHOT show, since I won’t be home until around that time anyways. Anyone hear any amazing rumors about what might be coming to market soon? Speaking of coming to market soon, it’s good to hear that the SS will be available soon for all those who have been waiting patiently.

Again, thanks very much to everyone who has taken time to post helpful replies to my question, and kept the discussion active and positive. I am a married enlisted man with a toddler and one on the way, I want this purchase to be as awesome as I can afford, since I am fairly sure that most of the toys I buy in the foreseeable future are more likely to come from babysrus, rather than the gun shop.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic