OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pretty good article on Panic buying

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pretty good article on Panic buying
    Posted: October/19/2012 at 17:19
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2012 at 19:20
Good read! Thanks for sharing it ST
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2012 at 19:38
Cool read.  Thanks.
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2012 at 03:28
It is a good read, but I think (I'm probably going to raise some hairs in here, but oh well) he is trying to play the same game from a different angle. Here in Houston their was a lot of that , never going to get any ammo again, and price gouging for firearms going on, hell their still is.  I the Gov. wants your weapons, they will send the army or police to do it. People say "over my dead body", well their are police officers and service men and women on this forum. If they came to you because it was their job (what they were told to do, or they can't feed their families) to take your firearm, are you going to shoot them for it? You may get on here and say yes, and some of you may actualy be stupid enough to try, and then your family suffers. But the fact is that 99% of you will hand the guns over, or hide them, I will. When I see U.S. military, I see my grandfather and my brother, One served in Korea, the other in Iraq, when I see a police officer, I see my brother-in-law. I will not pick up arms against them, they do their job, I do mine.

This guy is ranting because he wants people to give them his money to train with him. 90% of the time if some one wants to kill you with a firearm, their isn't a damn thing you can do about it. 99% of the time if you are robed at gunpoint, give them what they want, and let it go (after you call the police and cancell the credit cards), once the gun is in your face, you are at their mercey, they don't want to kill you. Will this country fall one day? Sure it will, everything ends. In our lifetimes? No. Will a forign country invade (please note I said invade, not attack) us, no, that would be suicide.
So unless your employment dictates otherwise, his traning is every bit as silly as the zombie ammo and stock piling more ammo than you will ever shoot.

I will continue to buy firearms because I like to shoot targets, and hunt with them, and just because I want them. Will it enable me to survive the fall of the american government or an invasion from china? Nope, and I don't need it to.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2012 at 09:08
Big dave. Just curious, have u ever taken any formal classes like he is talking about?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2012 at 09:33
Originally posted by Bigdave Bigdave wrote:

It is a good read, but I think (I'm probably going to raise some hairs in here, but oh well) he is trying to play the same game from a different angle. Here in Houston their was a lot of that , never going to get any ammo again, and price gouging for firearms going on, hell their still is.  I the Gov. wants your weapons, they will send the army or police to do it. People say "over my dead body", well their are police officers and service men and women on this forum. If they came to you because it was their job (what they were told to do, or they can't feed their families) to take your firearm, are you going to shoot them for it? You may get on here and say yes, and some of you may actualy be stupid enough to try, and then your family suffers. But the fact is that 99% of you will hand the guns over, or hide them, I will. When I see U.S. military, I see my grandfather and my brother, One served in Korea, the other in Iraq, when I see a police officer, I see my brother-in-law. I will not pick up arms against them, they do their job, I do mine.

This guy is ranting because he wants people to give them his money to train with him. 90% of the time if some one wants to kill you with a firearm, their isn't a damn thing you can do about it. 99% of the time if you are robed at gunpoint, give them what they want, and let it go (after you call the police and cancell the credit cards), once the gun is in your face, you are at their mercey, they don't want to kill you. Will this country fall one day? Sure it will, everything ends. In our lifetimes? No. Will a forign country invade (please note I said invade, not attack) us, no, that would be suicide.
So unless your employment dictates otherwise, his traning is every bit as silly as the zombie ammo and stock piling more ammo than you will ever shoot.

I will continue to buy firearms because I like to shoot targets, and hunt with them, and just because I want them. Will it enable me to survive the fall of the american government or an invasion from china? Nope, and I don't need it to.

i highly doubt that any member of our military or police depts in this country would A. ever be told to dis-arm its own citizens. and B. none of them would do it anyway. it would be asking them to go against everything they serve this country for. the citizens of this country will revolt against its own govt. before it ever gives in, and you can damn well bet that the millitary will not turn weapons against its own people. maybe im wrong, but i cant see them turning on family members like that.

Edited by pyro6999 - October/20/2012 at 09:45
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2012 at 11:37
I honestly don't see it either pyro, but I have spoken to those that do.
No supertool, I haven't, but I have read enough on the internet, and spoken to enough people to understand his target audience. I also understand what his training is for. I see no problem with someone taking it, but my problem is him using panic buying and telling them that they would be better served to give his industry their money. I agree totally about how stupid it got when Obama was elected. But wouldn't it be better not to use fear to try and get business? That is how he comes across to me.

Regardless, the only thing I can see the classes he speaks of for is either 1, taking human lives, or 2, competition. From reading this I gather he is targeting take human lives audience. I have no desire nor intention to ever shoot anyone, ever.

Like I said, I had no problem and completely agreed with 99% of what he said, just didn't like him using it to angle towards squirrely people taking classes to learn how to use these weapons they buy, and ensuring they have the beat weapon that suits them. Not all of the people hoarding ammo and buying lots of firearms are crazy. But the ones looking at every firearm they have or see as a tool to go to war and defend their lives, you need to realise, most of the world doesn't think that way. If someone has an ar15 that you wouldn't take to Iraq with you, guess what, they most likely take it to a shooting range and deer stand. If it jams after 2 hours of heavy fire, they will never know nor care.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2012 at 11:55
I didnt see it that way at all. I have personally taken nearly 2000 hours of classes. I have no intention of shooting anyone and i certainly never want to. But i choose to carry a weapon daily. I choose that right. So for me it is important that i know how to use it safely and understand how it functions. I finally feel like i am starting to get to the point that using a gun is reactive not a thinking game. I dont have to think about all the processes it takes to clear my concealment to have a proper draw stroke, to properly line up the sights, to get a perfect trigger press etc.   does that make me a crazy person who just thinks about killing. I don't think so. If anything all that time has taught me to avoid conflicts, be aware, and be thinking all the time.

Really what i got from it was to invest some of the money u may spend on guns and ammo on education, and other aspects of preparedness. Having guns and ammo will do u little good if u have no food or water or shelter or heat etc. he is trying to get people to see the big picture, ultimately having a gun and not knowing how to properly use it is like having seeds but not knowing how to plant and manage a garden. Sure u may get by, but having a little education is always a good thing.

He is certainly in the industry and im sure thats how he makes his money. But that does not make him wrong. If people would just take 1 four or five day class they would understand it. Just as he said people just dont even know what they dont know. Everytime i take a class i am reminded how much i really dont know and ho much i can improve.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2012 at 12:08
One other thought. Most of the schools will teach u how to avoimd the conflict in the first place. They teach u how to be aware and not to be the person walking down the street with your head in the newspaper or texting that the bad guy will know can get the drop on. They teach you things like the color code of mental awareness. To make eye contact with people so they know u are paying attention. They teach u how to quickly get out of bad situations before they start. About security for your home. About having plans for u and your family.

I would never ever settle with the opinion that there is nothing i can do to protect myself or my family. I refuse to be a helpless sheep who believes i have no ability to protect me and mine.

Plus ontop of all that, it is just flat out fun. What could be better than spending several days with like minded people, making friendships, and getting educated at the same time. I have made amazing friends whom i now rely on and they rely on me. It offers many opportunities.

Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2012 at 12:15
Supertool I agree 100% that if you are going to pack heat you do need and should take the classes. You are doing it the right way. I choose not to, if I ever get into a situation wear I feel I need to, I assure you I will take them also. I went to a well known shooting range here in Houston a while back and was approached by a man who saw me with my dpms 308. He started in on me about how I had it set up, told me that it was to heavy. I was like umm pig hunting gun sir, don't care if it's useless in a gun fight. He turned out to be a instructor. Have it happen enough times and you get a bad taste for the instructors, maybe I view it with a tainted light.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2012 at 16:27
I run into that as well. My primary use of guns is hunting and plinking. Many of the instructors are not hunters so they dont really have a clue about some of that stuff. Just like most hunters dont have a clue about tactics.

Either way though the training helps. My cousins and i always go take a rifle class right before the hunts just to brush us up on our techniques. Always very beneficial.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2012 at 12:02
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i highly doubt that any member of our military or police depts in this country would A. ever be told to dis-arm its own citizens. and B. none of them would do it anyway. it would be asking them to go against everything they serve this country for. the citizens of this country will revolt against its own govt. before it ever gives in, and you can damn well bet that the millitary will not turn weapons against its own people. maybe im wrong, but i cant see them turning on family members like that.

Hunter your dead wrong there my friend...Exactly that just happened in New Orleans after Katrina.  Marshall Law was declared and National guard went door to door seizing all weapons at gun point...

look it up.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2012 at 14:56
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Hunter your dead wrong there my friend...Exactly that just happened in New Orleans after Katrina.  Marshall Law was declared and National guard went door to door seizing all weapons at gun point...

look it up.

looting and robbery is a far cry from a normal citizen who isnt breaking any laws. restoring order after a terrible natural disaster is one thing,disarming law abiding citizens is another. im affraid your comparing apples to oranges bud. once the law abiding citizens in this country become disarmed the criminals in this country will have easy pickens, cause they dont follow the laws. look at what happend in austraila. they eliminated gun ownership and violent crime in that country exploded.

in fact, now that i really think about it, i dont think it would be local authorities sent to do it. it would most likely be somebody like the u.n. that gets the call for dis-arming.

Edited by pyro6999 - October/21/2012 at 15:51
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic