OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is it just me????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is it just me????
    Posted: March/19/2006 at 17:35

Or are there an excessive amount of dumb asses running around rifle ranges?!?!?!?

I have seen more basic weapons violations when I go to the rifle range than is believeable!

The scary part is when these "adults" are teaching kids how to handle a weapon.

I almost had to threaten a guy yesterday at the range to not point his shotgun barrel at me and to point it down range. YIKES!! 

Luckily, he and his young son (dumb ass in training) left in a huff before that deal escalated. 

And, the same guy that sweeps you with the barrel of his weapon with his finger all over the &$^%#*^ trigger, is the same assclown bitching about Glocks being unsafe.

How about it?? Is it just me??

I won't even get started about the morons that have shot up our public range at a SC State Park.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/19/2006 at 18:13
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Or are there an excessive amount of dumb asses running around rifle ranges?!?!?!?

Snip...

How about it?? Is it just me??

I won't even get started about the morons that have shot up our public range at a SC State Park.

No it's not just you... The problem is that there seem to be more of them in general.  My guess it that it is a darwin thang... We have all these do gooder safety rules that are allowing them to live longer and breed more...  Hey, at least they were not around long enough to tell you how much more money they made than you...    

"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/20/2006 at 01:19
Never had anyone flag me.  I have taken a few people shooting with me who have never shot a handgun before in the last few months and first thing I explain to them before I even let them touch a gun is muzzle and trigger awareness.  I usually try and get as far away from everyone else on the range as possible so I've never had a problem with it.  The range I go to is rarely populated on the days that I go so it's pretty smooth.  That range is about an hour and a half away from me.  I do go to a closer range sometimes but that one has more people you've mentioned.  I have no compassion for people I've seen flag others and I have no problem telling them about their mistake and the consequences of making that mistake again.
Fight Smarter
Not Harder
hotshot110 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotshot110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/09/2006 at 21:33
I had near death experiance when i went down range to check a target during a cease fire and i had a idiot start shooting when i was still down checking my targets.Long story short 5 minute fist fight i think i got my point across not to do it again.
.308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2006 at 18:31

It is amazing how "ignorance is bliss"!

Guns do not kill people, Stupid MFs with guns kill people!

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2006 at 13:48

The problem goes back to how the current "younger "generation has been raised. My grandfather born in 1899 raised me and taught me to respect and carefully use firearms. We didn't have gun locks - there were guns in the corner by the fireplace and in the coat closet - unloaded but with ammunition within reach. I started shooting at age 3 with a .22 in the back yard and a  mayonase jar lid for a target. Targets weren't as large back then because you shot to kill something you planned to eat. I would often be given a single shot 410 and one cartridge and told to bring back something in exchange for another cartridge. I shot squirrels, doves, quail, rabbits and we ate what we shot. I was told not to point a gun at something I was not willing to shoot. As a child I learned were guns were not supposed to be pointed. Today not only do most people not hunt for food (and dont know how), but they have no idea how to safely handle firearms.

Now - a happy thought - just think how many horror movies would end diffenently - if in them - just one highly trained person was present armed with a  1911 Colt .45acp when the psycho showed up.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sneaky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2006 at 22:24
The current younger generation?  Give me a break you probably had to walk up hill both ways to school too.  I consider myself part of that younger generation of kids you're talking about.  In our house none of the guns are locked up, we automatically check if it's loaded when we pick a weapon up like its second nature. The problem out there is ignorance and not enough education about firearms.  People make it out that guns are these scary mysterious things.  Obviously not people on this site, but in general.  Gun safety should be a requirement in school systems these days.  It would get rid of a lot of accidental shooting deaths in this country.  All I ask is that you don't lump "the younger generation" into an unsafe group of people that do not know how to handle a firearm.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/12/2006 at 11:41

I'm not saying that there aren't exceptions to this unfortunate lack of knowledge. My boys are well trained and quite safe with firearms. The 15 yr old was shooting a two and half inch groups at 600 yds yesterday in spite of the wind.  What I am saying is that the percentage of  trained gun safe people has decreased significantly. When I was in high school  in San Antonio, Tx we had some short 3 day classes and one was on firearms taught by an Army Sgt from Ft. Sam who brough in numerous firearms including M-16 & 1911  45 acp. that was 1972. Show me a school today that wouldn't totally freak out if you even suggested such a thing.  I'm thankful for those in the current younger generation that have the knowledge skill and ability to protect themselves and survive what the future will likely bring. One problem is the liberals have made a conscious effort to take over the educational system and push their narrow minded unrealistic ideology on as many people as possible.  .

Part of the walking up hill both ways is correct I had to go down one then up another and returning down  then up but heigh the hills weren't very steep or high in San Antoinio so no big deal and once I could drive I bought gas at .19 cents a gallon and drove.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SCOOP View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2006 at 11:25

hate pubic/pprivate ranges for that very reason.i choose to just shoot someware out in the country.theres plenty around here(N.C.) This way i can take one other person and watch em like a hawk.I mean this is serious buisness shooting gun!

my first post .

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2006 at 12:14

SCOOP:

Welcome to The OT, Brother.

I'm a North Carolinian also......Small world.

longbow308 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longbow308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/23/2006 at 18:43
cheap

i was very proud of my 13 year old son,in a hunters ed class
the instructor was glad to see that a 13 year old was safer
than the young generation there 16 to 25 years old.even my 9 year old new more about shooting and safty than those young dumb asses did.after class the instructor asked my son where he learn about firearms at that age.i tolded him that bouth boys have been shooting at 5 years of age. my 13 year old killed his first deer at 7 yrs old. i trust my two boys better than most adults i come across @ the range thay just have know those type should not be allowed back at the range or send them thru a ass kicken line

watch ya self, and keep an eye on them dumb asses ther evvvery where.
longbow308
Aim small Miss small
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2006 at 03:56

Great story, LB.

Sneaky View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sneaky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2006 at 10:09
This is why I hate going to our local gun range that you don't have to pay a membership to be a part of, any crazy guy can come there with a weapon.

Bismarck Man Shot in Struggle at Rifle Range
By JENNYMICHAEL
Bismarck Tribune 

A Bismarck man was shot in the leg while trying to help stop a fight between two other men at a rifle range.

The man who allegedly fired the shot had been served Thursday afternoon with a temporary restraining order that banned him from using or possessing firearms, said Burleigh County Sheriff's Maj. Nick Sevart.

Shannon Dale Neva, 35, purchased a handgun later Thursday, Sevart said.

Burleigh County Sheriff Steve Berg said deputies responded to a 911 call at around 8 p.m. from the McLean Bottoms rifle range.

When they arrived, they learned that Steve Peterson, 46, of Bismarck, had been shot in the leg, Berg said.

He said witnesses told the deputies that two men had been arguing and started to struggle over a handgun. Peterson went to help break them up, Berg said.

Neva, of Bismarck, allegedly fired the shot that struck Peterson in the leg, Berg said.

Neva has been charged with reckless endangerment, a Class Cfelony, and disobedience of a judicial order, a Class Amisdemeanor.

South Central District Court Judge Sonna Anderson set bond for Neva at $25,000 cash. She also included provisions in the bond order that Neva not have contact with the victim or the woman who filed for the restraining order against him, and that he not use or possess alcohol or firearms.

Sevart said Peterson was taken to St. Alexius Medical Center by ambulance. Sevart said the wound, which was caused by a .50-caliber handgun, was very serious.

Burleigh County assistant state's attorney Cynthia Feland said Peterson has been flown to Minnesota for treatment.

"He may or may not have a leg when this is all done," she said.

Feland said Neva was threatening to kill his girlfriend and himself.

Sevart said Neva was served with the protection order at 2:45 p.m. Thursday, and he bought a .50-caliber handgun later in the afternoon.

Neva, the man he struggled with, and Peterson had gone together to the shooting range to try out the gun, Sevart said.

According to witnesses, Peterson was sitting in a vehicle when the two men began fighting, Sevart said. He said Peterson got out to help stop the situation.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/24/2006 at 17:47
Originally posted by SCOOP SCOOP wrote:

hate pubic/pprivate ranges for that very reason.i choose to just shoot someware out in the country.theres plenty around here(N.C.) This way i can take one other person and watch em like a hawk.I mean this is serious buisness shooting gun!

my first post .

PUBIC ranges??????

Now that could get down right scary!!!  I think I'll stick to frequenting ranges where that particular kind of muzzle is kept holstered at all times, thank you very much!   

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic