OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Low power muti-use AR scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low power muti-use AR scope?
    Posted: October/15/2012 at 13:08
First post
I've been looking for advice, reviews, and opinions on a lower cost ($400 or less) low power somewhere (between 1 and 10) variable optic for a 5.56 18" AR, haven't gotten much, but web searches keep bringing me here, and there seems to be allot of knowledge, so I figure I'll just ask.

Looking for a scope with good low light performance for hunting anything from fairly distant varmints to close in deer, though its most comon use will be stationary targets at the range with a max distance of 600yds. There's a small possibility of some 3-gun type matches too.

Looking for opinions on what I've come across so far: Leupold VX-R 2-7, Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10, Weaver Super Slam 1.5-6, Burris MTAC 1.5-6

Or anything I'm overlooking. Pretty sure I want a fine reticle so the MTAC is probably out, I'm more concerned with low end and FOV than top end power, but would like more than 4.

TIA
seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2012 at 13:46
I am not a Leupold fan but I do like the Weaver and Burris MTAC. On the AR, eye relief is critical and because of that, I'd go with the MTAC all the way.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2012 at 13:56
Welcome to optics talk!
I too like the burris and the weaver.
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2012 at 14:04
Welcome to the OT!

Vortex is a great little scope & comes with a life time warrenty.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2012 at 23:15
Check out the reticle on the Leatherwood 1-4 CMR.  I've found optical quality on mine to be very good, tracking consistent and repeatable and it has a zero lock.  Although it has a lighted reticle it is generally not bright enough for daylight use where I don't need it anyway.  It has survived well over a 1,000 rounds so far.  It is made in China so long term durability is still a question mark but it has a lifetime warranty with service in the US.  It was within my budget when I needed it and SWFA has a package deal with their one piece SALT mount for $319.  Mine was even less as a Demo list item that looked new and came packaged in the factory box with all documents.  No regrets so far.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2012 at 08:42
If you are more concerned with hunting I would suggest the 2-7 VXR
Add in 3 gun and that changes everything

I am running a VX6 1-6 on my 3 gun rig and am trying it for hunting on my 6.8
It doesn't have quite as good of low light performance of the S&B 1.5-6x42 I normLly run but has true 1x at the bottom and is much lighter and more compact and is surpisingly good in low light for a 24mm objective.

My brother runs a VXr 2-7 on his 68 for hunting
We primarily use the 68s for hog hunting where we can also run a light or for a lightweight stalking rig for deer.

Trying to get one scope for 3 gun and hunting is a tough call.
I would definitely lean to what the gun will be used primarily for.
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Beef View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2012 at 10:30
I know I'm looking for a do-all, and, at my price point atleast, that simply isn't going to happen.

I only mention 3-gun because I'd like something that won't completely handicap me if I decide to give it a try, if I do and like the game, it will warrant its own optic, I spose for testing the waters I could try a non-optic class.

I'm a long time Leupold fan, but not to the point of having blinders on. I'd just about talked myself into the Weaver SS Euro 1.5-6, now I'm second guessing that. I don't suppose anyone has looked thru both and could say which has better glass or lowlight performance? I won't hold my breath Wink 

What bothers me about the VX-R is its actually 2.5 on the bottom, and not actually 7 at the top, with a low end that high many manufacturers offer 10 on top, but if the performace is better than most at this price point I think it'd still be a better choice.

Thanks for the replies, keep it coming

jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2012 at 11:56
Nothing says AR like a Trijicon. Maybe the 1-4x24 or 1.25-4x24. These are my top choices for fast target aquisition at low power considering you can shoot with both eyes open. 600 yards to paper might require a larger (read heavier) scope. Trijicon has a 2.5-10x50, but I've never tried an AR with 20+ ounces of scope on top. In the middle is the 3-9x40. I have the 1.25-4s and 3-9s and use them on everything from crossbows to .270 and a muzzleloader. Even use one on a tacticool shotgun without issue. Just be aware of the extreme eye relief of the 1.25-4.
http://windrockphotography.com
"Do you really think the deer cares what kinda pants you was wearin'?" Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinni
seattlesetters View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seattlesetters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2012 at 13:48
Originally posted by jetwrnch jetwrnch wrote:

Nothing says AR like a Trijicon. Maybe the 1-4x24 or 1.25-4x24. These are my top choices for fast target aquisition at low power considering you can shoot with both eyes open. 600 yards to paper might require a larger (read heavier) scope. Trijicon has a 2.5-10x50, but I've never tried an AR with 20+ ounces of scope on top. In the middle is the 3-9x40. I have the 1.25-4s and 3-9s and use them on everything from crossbows to .270 and a muzzleloader. Even use one on a tacticool shotgun without issue. Just be aware of the extreme eye relief of the 1.25-4.
I'm with you. I see SO MANY ARs with gigantic scopes on them .... kinda defeats the purpose of a quick-handling combat rifle if you ask me.

Love me some Trijicon, too. I'd jump all over the 1-4x24mm if I needed a good AR scope.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 14:58
I'm not a big leupy guy but I have a 1.75-6x32 VX3 with the heavy duplex on my AR15... It's not great for any one thing but works well for all things....
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2012 at 15:43
Originally posted by Beef Beef wrote:

First post
I've been looking for advice, reviews, and opinions on a lower cost ($400 or less) low power somewhere (between 1 and 10) variable optic for a 5.56 18" AR, haven't gotten much, but web searches keep bringing me here, and there seems to be allot of knowledge, so I figure I'll just ask.

Looking for a scope with good low light performance for hunting anything from fairly distant varmints to close in deer, though its most comon use will be stationary targets at the range with a max distance of 600yds. There's a small possibility of some 3-gun type matches too.

Looking for opinions on what I've come across so far: Leupold VX-R 2-7, Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10, Weaver Super Slam 1.5-6, Burris MTAC 1.5-6

Or anything I'm overlooking. Pretty sure I want a fine reticle so the MTAC is probably out, I'm more concerned with low end and FOV than top end power, but would like more than 4.

TIA

First of all, Welcome to the OT and thanks for posting.

I personally would stay away for something that offered half mag like the super slam. This will cause eye fatigue more quickly thank if you utilized something with true 1X capability. 

In the price range you have set aside, The Leatherwood CMR would work well. But I would save up a little more money and get the right scope the first time.  Especially if you intend to shoot three gun.

I would buy the SS 1-4. This is scope is by far one of the most versatile scopes that I have used. The T is perfect. The thing that I love about it is the German #4 on 1X and since it is FFP, when you increase your magnification, you can utilize the mil-dot reticle.

Matter of fact, for just a couple hundred more you can get an SS 1-4 off the Sample List for around $699.95.

But CCoker brings up a valid point as well. Three Gun is a completely different animal.  This is why I suggest the SS. Buy it right the first time, and you will never outgrow it because of how it can be used.
It's a red dot, it's a ranging reticle, it has First focal plane and HD glass. This is truly an unbeatable system.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic