OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What mount would you buy. remington 700 leupold vx
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What mount would you buy. remington 700 leupold vx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt2334 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What mount would you buy. remington 700 leupold vx
    Posted: October/13/2012 at 17:45
remington 700 with leupold VX-2 6-18X40MM (1in tube)
Matt
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2012 at 08:04
http://swfa.com/Talley-Lightweight-Aluminum-1-Scopemount-P2834.aspx

Welcome to Optics Talk. 

What else may we help you decide on? Big Grin

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
GHILLIE.308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHILLIE.308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2012 at 10:38
Leupold Dual Dovetail bases and rings. American Flag
MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2012 at 10:49
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

What's so great about Talley?

That's actually a genuine question BTW...

I have long considered mounts to be a necessary evil to avoid the use of duct tape, but I notice that some mounts seem to be more highly thought of than others.

The thing is, other than being able to quickly dismount a scope and put it back on without losing zero, which I have yet to be able to actually accomplish, I honestly don't know what makes one mount better than another.
The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.
onfinal View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2012 at 11:08
Ditto on the Talley light weight one pieces. I have them on a Remington 700 .243 and they are perfect. I will be ordering more of the same for a new 700 SPS Varmint I have coming in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2012 at 11:17
Originally posted by MC Escher MC Escher wrote:

What's so great about Talley?

That's actually a genuine question BTW...

I have long considered mounts to be a necessary evil to avoid the use of duct tape, but I notice that some mounts seem to be more highly thought of than others.

The thing is, other than being able to quickly dismount a scope and put it back on without losing zero, which I have yet to be able to actually accomplish, I honestly don't know what makes one mount better than another.

I have ran Badger and TPS rings for a number of years. They, along with Bobro mounts, have all returned to zero quite well. Not sure what rings your using, Friend, but these 3 have done right by me and I switch scopes out a LOT. 

The LW Talley's I recommended are not a good option if your switching scopes back and forth, but Talley do make QD rings and they are quite good as well. Not sure they return to zero as well as the others I mentioned, but they will get you "close" to your original zero. I ran Talley QD's on a Sako M75 .300 WM.

The LW Talley's are light weight, strong, well constructed and have served me and others on this forum quite well. Some here use them with much success on big bore magnums too and I've never heard a complaint.  
With all that, there are only about $40, which is another reason I like them and recommend them often. 

I guess it's fair to ask "why use Talley", but I guess my rebuttal is why not use Talley's?  
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2012 at 12:55
+1 Talley's
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Greyhound View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2012 at 20:01
I'm new to the Talley's.  Are they secured to the firearm by only one screw per base/mount/ring?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2012 at 20:16
For a hunting rifle I run the Talleys as well
Rem 700s have two screws per front and back
Talleys use all 4
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2012 at 20:38
+5 on the Tally's.I useboth those and Aadlands on my 700 5Rs
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2012 at 21:07

I guess it's fair to ask "why use Talley", but I guess my rebuttal is why not use Talley's?  

You understand I hope that I didn't mean my question argumentatively or as a critique of Talleys; but rather as an attempt to fill in my rather large knowledge gap on the subject.
The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2012 at 21:11
What I find is consistent high quality in Talleys. Many of the cheap rings are not machined to as close tolerances or use pliable metals. Some rings only have a stamped band for the upper half. Even Leupold does this on the QD rings If the rings are not true, the scope will likely be unstable or worse  can be damaged by the rings. Why would anyone scrimp on the rings. The rings are the precision between the sight and the rifle. It would be like buying a $1000 stereo and expecting to get good sound out of $10 speakers. You listen to the speaker. Just as the rings and mount transmit the accuracy of the scope to align it to the rifle.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
BlackSox16 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackSox16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2012 at 22:41
Another vote for Talley Aluminum Lightweights.  Simple design, well made, and cost effective.  Excellent Just a reminder as with any rings DO NOT overtorque, I've made this mistake a couple times in the past with steel rings.Ouch
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/14/2012 at 23:03
Talley LW's. Lightweight, strong and cheap.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2012 at 03:17
Originally posted by MC Escher MC Escher wrote:

You understand I hope that I didn't mean my question argumentatively or as a critique of Talleys; but rather as an attempt to fill in my rather large knowledge gap on the subject.

No worries. I didn't think you were being argumentative. I'm not one of the more scientifically minded here, so my replies are generally limited to "use brand x, because they work". Bandito

Also would add that the people who make Talley gear are nice and Southern. Wink
coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2012 at 06:20
Check out near.com. Based on a recommendation here, I tried them and now am believer. Mounts are the weak link, and deserve the best.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2012 at 07:51
Talley lover here too.  I use the talley QD's on a Blaser LRS.  Can take the scope on and off as many times as I'd like and never had a problem being back to my zero when I remount.  I did foolishly try to put them on my scope without properly reading the directions and damaged one of the rings.  A quick call to talley to see about buying a replacement led to them sending me a new replacement ring at no charge no questions or fuss about it.  Talley LWs are on about 8 of my regulars and more as I build the inventoryBig Grin
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2012 at 13:23
MCE,
My input to the "why Talley?" question:

The Talley Lightweight mounts combine simplicity, strength, light weight, excellent scope retention security, and low cost to a degree unequaled by just about any other mount.

They're simple in that the base and lower ring section of other 2 piece mounts is combined in one integral piece, so there are no additional screws between the mounting screws and the ring screws. 

They're strong because the 1-pc lower half eliminates the extra joint and fasteners between the base and lower ring saddle of other 2-piece mount designs.

They're made of aluminum alloy so they're lightweight. 

They hold scope tubes very securely against slippage from recoil because each ring has wide scope contact surface with 4 screws on each ring cap.

To exceed the Talley Lightweight's strength and scope retention security, you would have to spend 3-4 times their cost.

IMO, their only downside is they aren't exactly the most attractive mounts, because they have sharp corners and they're kinda "chunky" looking... to me.  Others will disagree; beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  However, if they radiused and/or chamfered corners and other such extra finish contouring steps, they would eliminate one of the Lightweight's chief virtues... low cost, while doing so would not improve strength or function any, only aesthetics.

Talley's steel mounts are well-made, strong, and sleek.  Unlike the lightweight series mount, the steel mounts are vertically split, and some people don't like that design.  One of the advantages to vertically split mounts is they can partially compensate for some base misalignment in the vertical axis since both sides "float" -- one ring half is not part of the base or constrained by the base position.  Vertical rings can have a cleaner look since there is no ring fastener protrusion along both sides of the rings in the horizontal axis, as is always the case with horizontally split rings...but again, aesthetics are highly subjective.  They offer a large selection of bases for their steel rings for many makes and models of rifles, including specialized designs like the Sako tapered dovetails.

On top of all that, they are nice folks who take good care of their customers and back their products unconditionally.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2012 at 17:32
Have Talley lightweights on my remmy 700 in .308 and love'em

Eagle
MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2012 at 21:14
Thanks for the info Guys. I appreciate it, and I'm going to give them a try. Once I settle on the right scope that is...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic