OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Mental illness takes hold

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mental illness takes hold
    Posted: October/13/2012 at 00:32
When I went to pick up my barreled action from the gun smith the other day I asked him about working on a Stevens action I had picked up for cheap. I was planning to build a 7 mag on it, something similar to to the long range hunters that are out. So he says yeah and breaks out a 338 RUM that he built on one. Beautiful rifle, so what do I do, go and order a 30" finish krieger #6, man my wife is mad (doesn't understand why I start a new gun when I have 3 others in peices still). Barrel I wanted was in stock. Thinking about going with a hogue full bed stock, does anyone have any experience with them? Thanks, Dave
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2012 at 00:36
And that's when the fight started!
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2012 at 02:32
I wouldn't go with the Hogue, I have put two Winchesters in them, one was the pillar bedded model and the other was the full length bed, and the fore end on the full length moves almost as much as the pillar bedded one, before I sanded it the fore end of the stock made contact with the barrel when on the bags.  Don't get me wrong, I do like the stock...but strictly for hunting purposes only,because on the bench I don't like how much it flexes in the fore end.  I would imagine with the set up you mentioned above that there will be a fair amount of time spent at the bench, and I think there are far better options out there.  I'm also not sure they make one for a .750 barrel, and I don't think you could remove enough material and still have enough to support the overmolded shell, but I could be wrong there.  I don't know a whole lot, just giving you my two cents, the more knowledgeable crowd should chime in shortly with some solid info.  Good luck with whatever you decide, sounds like the beginning of a great rifle.  You might take a look here http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront I would look at the Bell and Carlson's, or the Manners depending on what style and how much money you have to throw at it, and you or your smith will be much happier when comes time to bed it.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2012 at 11:41
+1.  I re-did my Rem 700 300WM with a B&C Medalist (aluminum block) and it absolutely drives tacks now.  Great investment, and much cheaper than a MacMillan (but they're awesome, too).BTW, I got it from Stocky's as well.  I had to do some work in the barrel channel for the magnum contour, but I wanted the Weatherby style stock for recoil, and I'm glad I did.  It's a great setup.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2013 at 11:41
Ok, got this rifle back and I just need to get a trigger for it. I have experience with the timney and the jard triggers but have been nudged towards the rifle basics, does anyone here have any experience comparing the timney and rifle basics?
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2013 at 22:38

OK, got this rifle finished, or close to it anyhow, plan to swap the scope to a SS 5-20 after income taxes. Running a Minox 3-15x50 right now, wonderful scope.

Edited by Bigdave - January/14/2013 at 23:49
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2013 at 23:01
Originally posted by Bigdave Bigdave wrote:

Pictures came out terrible, getting wifes camera.

Well that ought to start another round.......
Geo-spatially speaking you missed :o)
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2013 at 07:56
That is a very mean Stick.

I do enjoy the simplicity of the Timney.
No one
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2013 at 08:54
Is that the Stevens action or the other one? 
take em!
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2013 at 09:02
Originally posted by Bigdave Bigdave wrote:

Ok, got this rifle back and I just need to get a trigger for it. I have experience with the timney and the jard triggers but have been nudged towards the rifle basics, does anyone here have any experience comparing the timney and rifle basics?

I have both brands of triggers, among others, on various rifles.

I'd say Timney and Rifle Basix are roughly equivalent in terms of trigger pull quality. When both are adjusted properly, you'd have a hard time deciding which is "better."
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2013 at 12:43
I wound up going with the rifle basix trigger. That's the Stevens action Tip.
M1Thumb View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Thumb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2013 at 22:21
Nice shooting iron to boot!!!

Had a chance to shoot it yet??

Geo-spatially speaking you missed :o)
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2013 at 10:27
interesting.......   how does she shoot?
take em!
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2013 at 11:16
Haven't shot it yet, ammo is expensive for .338 ultramag. I have ordered everything for loading some up, just waiting for my dies to come in from backorder. The barrel is necked to shoot 300 grain vld's and I am runing it as a single shot. That being said, I will probably get a box of ammo for it this weekend and shoot it next weekend if the backorder doesn't fill this week.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2013 at 12:13
a bit confused... thought you were getting the stevens in a 7Mag?
take em!
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2013 at 18:14
I was going to... Untill he showed me the 338 ultramag he built. Had to have one, so I wound up building this instead. His shoots very nice 4 1/2" groups at a thousand yards, but he is using a shilen select match barrel. I am hoping to get the same performance, but I will need to practice more at that distance. Their is a range near my house that goes out to 1000 meters near my house, I plan to get a membership their this spring. I apologise I never seemed to specify that I also changed the plan to .338 ultramag instead of 7 mag. But yeah, that happened.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic