OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Eye Relief

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankhenrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eye Relief
    Posted: October/10/2012 at 09:38
Hey folks how's it going? I recently bought a Vortex Viper 2-7x32 and have some questions about it. I don't have a ton of experience with different scopes, but it seems like my eye has to be almost perfectly positioned or I see nothing. I bought the scope as a close range optic, but the exact head placement makes it difficult to obtain a quick acquisition on the target. I'm sure it could be overcome with practice, but would rather have something more forgiving. I will add that the optical clarity is very nice though.
Questions:
Is there something wrong with the scope?
Is there a measurement for this type of "out-of-center" eye relief?
What are some scopes that are known for being better when it comes to this sort of thing?

Thanks for the help!
If you can't eat em join em
@WitsEnd View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote @WitsEnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2012 at 09:53

Good Morning, Welcome to OT.

First of all, I don't have any experience with that viper and I will let others comment on that.

What gun is it on and what is the ring height of the mounts?

Maybe slight adjustments within the ring mounts can gain quick target acquistions. Or maybe you need to add a check rest to the gun.

I assume, you adjusted the eye focus to your eyes.

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2012 at 10:48
I have the Viper you mentioned. IMO, the ER / positioning is rather critical especially compared to other scopes I have. That said, I very much like the scope and the glass is quite good. You may wish to check out some of the Sightron scopes now on closeout here @ SWFA. I really like the SII Big Sky scopes, and they are very forgiving of eye placement. Good luck!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Frankhenrylee View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankhenrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 14:15
Thanks for the reply fellas. I actually haven't mounted it yet because I thought there might be something wrong with it. I've gone and looked through other scopes and definitely don't notice any others being quite this finicky about eye placement. There all pretty tight when cranked all the way up, but this one has no forgiveness whatsoever. You are either perfectly aligned or you don't see squat. I don't have any access to look at any Sightron scopes in person. The 3-9x36 with AO is pretty interesting. I had an AO on my last scope and really liked being able to dial in. Not so sure about a 36mm obj on a 3-9 though. Have you had any hands on with that one, how's the FOV compares to a 40 or 42 obj? 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 14:40
Originally posted by Frankhenrylee Frankhenrylee wrote:

The 3-9x36 with AO is pretty interesting. I had an AO on my last scope and really liked being able to dial in.

An AO is not for dialing in.  It is for parallax.  It is not needed on scope less than 10x.  So having a 3-9x with a parallax adjustment is kind of a waste. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 14:54
I had the 3-9 X 36 Sightron (with A.O.) on my .17HMR. It worked wonderfully and the glass was great.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
The Surgeon View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Surgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 18:54
If you are looking for something for quick acquisition, look at a "Halo" sight.  getaway from a scope like the one you have.  Granted it can be done, but it is more difficult with this type of optic vs. a halo or red dot sight.  Nature of the beast.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Surgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 19:11
and there is nothing wrong with the optic.  They are all this way.  Scopes like the Vortex that you have, are not designed for close quarter work.

Without seeing your setup, the best thing that I would recommend for you is to go to a 45 degree offset rail and add an "Micro Sight" like the Trijicon RMR.  The micro sights are going to work better for you if you continue to run the Vortex scope. 

Devices that would meet your needs:

Trijicon RMR, Acog, SRS, Reflex, Tri-Power,
EoTech
Vortex Razor, SPARC

But like I said, there is nothing wrong with your optic.  If you are not lined up right when using scopes like the Vortex , that you have, you'll introduce "Parallax" and this will through off your POI.  There are several companies that make a 45 degree offset rail that will attach directly to the main tube of your optic.  Companies like EGW and Badger Ordinance are a couple.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankhenrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 20:13
I thought an AO was for focusing the scope at longer or shorter than normal ranges. That's what I used it for on my last one anyway.
I've compared it to others and it is definitely has a less forgiving eyebox than most. The eye relief in distance is as advertised though. I haven't actually mounted it yet because I noticed the difference right away and wanted to make sure it was right. I do like the Vortex BDC reticle and the lever on mag ring. It's clarity is tons better than my last scope.
I actually bought it to go on my AR so my son could start shooting something besides his .22, but it's going on my new SPS Light Tactical 308. Just need to figure out a mount now. Thinking about a DNZ, but the picatinny bases look so much stronger. Too many decisions, not enough money.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Surgeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 21:17
Like stated above by another member, the AO is for parallax and not for focus.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankhenrylee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2012 at 20:09
Thanks for the help folks. I looked into exactly what parallax is, so I learned something new. I may still put the 2-7 on the AR for my boy to shoot at the range and get me something a little stronger for the 308. Those are some good deals on the Sightrons, but none of the closeouts are exactly what I'm looking for. Even though I like the simplicity and look of regular crosshairs better, but I don't like the idea of messing with the turrets for different ranges so a mil dot or BDC is what I'm leaning towards. Everything I like is stupid expensive so I'm just trying to find that middle ground pretty darn good, but not over the top. The Nikon Monarch 3-12 BDC seems to fit the bill but I'm not sold on those circles yet. I know I've wandered off the original topic, but if ya'll want to keep the ideas rolling please feel free to let me know what you think. Just want to keep a good fov at low power. I dont know maybe I should start another topic at this point.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic