OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

robinson arms XCR-L 5.56

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobaldoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: robinson arms XCR-L 5.56
    Posted: October/08/2012 at 23:42
anybody know anything about the weapon or the company that makes it..was wondering about the gun and companys reliability and longevity ..i love the fact you can swap out barrels and certain caliburs but for the 2400 dollar price tag it would be nice to know a few details about both..any info would be greatly appreciated........
"I can hear you, the rest of the world hears you and the people who knocked these building down will hear all of us soon."   g bush....
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2012 at 17:24
These are hobby guns, they can not complete the high speed/high round count classes without problems.
The do have a certain Chicks Dig It (CDI) factor, they are OK for firing a few rounds on the square range and playing with.
Before anyone comes down on me I have to ask, have you completed a EAG carbine course with one or one of the comparable courses?
Again they are a neat hobby gun but not a weapon to be used in extremeis.
Art
Good day.
bobaldoo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobaldoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2012 at 23:20
thats all i needed to know, before a person droped a ton of cash on a weapon that does not stack up against your A/R or H/K....thanks for your imput...........
"I can hear you, the rest of the world hears you and the people who knocked these building down will hear all of us soon."   g bush....
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2012 at 07:52
I dont personally have one. But i have taken 3 four day classes where the same guy has been using his. 2 of the classes were 600 to 800 rounds the 3rd was around 1200 rounds. His ran perfectly, he really likes his.

Art is your experience just a sample of one gun? Or are we talking a bunch of them?
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2012 at 09:15
the robinson is  underated in this class of weapon. the ak 47 bolt group is stronger, and better built than the ar type , the extractor is in the ak class for durability and longevity. If the robinson had been around for as long as the ar to share in the improvements from the cottage industry crowd the ar wouldn't be in existence. The folding stock is similiar to the fn, and galil type and a better answer than the collapsing types.  and yes I have competed with the gun in 3 gun. My single complaint was the locking allen nut holding the gas tube, -- it needs to be indented, which I did with mine. After 2000 rounds it had worked loose, moved forward, allowed the gun to go full auto, and chipped  one of the locking lugs. After taking the gun personally to the maker, (they are only an hour away, as is DTA,Grizzly,Christensen,Browning) and showing the problem, the gun was fixed and returned in 3 days. Currently the gun runs with close to 12k rounds and has had fewer problems than the some odd 20 ars I've had/used in the last 30 years.  High round carbine course-- indeed. At the current price you will have to decide for yourself, but I think 2400 is high and maybe msrp. Most carbine course and door kicker stuff ar stuff are aimed at people using somebody elses nickel these day and similarity of hand controls is paramount. It may not be a good option for leo etc. but not because of quality and durability.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2012 at 09:16
Yogi Bera

bobaldoo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobaldoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 00:15
what the XCR worth in the states........
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 02:13
Hi Dale:
I was present four years ago when a team attempted to take five XLR carbines through a high round count course, three failed, one was eventually put back in action and number five completed the course.
Talking to the instructor I was told that this was not unusual at that time.
The only reason for a piston gun in 5.56 mm format is if you are running a barrel shorter than 14.5 with a suppressor, the direct impingement system does work well running a suppressor with short barrels.
H&K has the most reliable 5.56 mm piston system in my limited experience.
For guns with barrels 14.5 and longer the direct impingement systems works the best in 5.56 mm.
Russian 5.45 mm AK's tend to wear out and crack bolt lugs at high round counts.
Israeli's found that out with the Galiel.
Art

Good day.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 09:13
in my limited experience the Daowoo is the most realiable piston system. Not sure what a sweeping statement such as Israeli had this happen with high round counts has to do with the civilian selection of a firearm, but thanks for the information. Both of my galils on in 308 and the other in 223 have high round counts with no problems, although I hate shooting that mil surplus IMI nato stuff in ar, very high pressures, or perhaps the IMD used some of that high pressure Portaguese stuff 308 to do their testing. Shucks up until a few years ago they didn't even have enough of the same brand of pistols to give to everyone to call something standard issue. H&K  leaves unsatisfactory case indentations for reloading for civilian practice sessions. Can't say about 5.45 in ak, just keep asking why anyone would want to trade it for the 7.6 x 39.
Civilian use and military/leo use and choice of weapons are two entirely different topics.
Yogi Bera

gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2012 at 00:28
Hi Dale:
I was an RO for an agency that helped train other agencies personnel, we saw a lot of different systems, many failed to complete the courses of fire.
Israeli ammo runs a little to a lot hotter than most US Nato spec, this may account for some of the cracked receivers and bolt lugs in the Galiel's, I also saw chewed up M4's.
The taxpayer has eaten the cost of quite a few systems because somebody had CDI (Chicks Dig It) fever that colored the decision making process when selecting a weapons system.
I have put 300 rounds through one Daewo, don not have any real experience with them.
Since they are no longer being sold in the US we never saw any in class.
My Colt's, BCM's and S&W carbines all run fine as long I keep them lubricated properly, bolts have run to 10,000 rounds before replacement.
I do not run any full auto.
Thanks
Art

Good day.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic