OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm * What mounts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote checkyoursix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm * What mounts?
    Posted: October/08/2012 at 21:11
I just purchased a Remington 700 SPS and will be mainly using it to hunt Deer and some Coyotes along with target shooting.  The scope I am thinking about buying is the Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm.

I know this scope is not a 1000 yard jewel but I felt it was solid for the terrain here in North GA.  If you feel differently, please give me your opinion.  It seems that a better field of view and a need for less magnification is what drove me to this scope.

Since this is a shorter scope I was wondering what the best way to mount it would be?  I cant seem to find an information that would help me.

I some from shooting IDPA (basically a pistol and skeet shooter) and will be hunting for the first time this year now that I have moved from California to Georgia. 

Any advice is appreciated.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2012 at 21:55
Welcome to the OT! and welcome to GA! I looked at a revolution and frankly wasn't overly impressed with it... I personally think the Burris ffii is far better in that price range. As for rings/bases I recommend the talley one piece light weights

Edited by tman1965 - October/08/2012 at 22:02
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
checkyoursix View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote checkyoursix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2012 at 22:19
Thanks for the heads up.  Do you think I am better off with a 3-9x40 or 50 or the 2-7?  I am not taking 600 yard shots up here but would be fun to see far far I can put one in the center at the range or if I take it to hunt with my brother in Texas.
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2012 at 23:44
I too think that the Redfields fall short. I personally like the Vortex Diamondback series of scopes. The Burris or the Vortex is superior to the redfield. Either would be a good choice. If weight is a concern you can get the small 2-7 if not the 3-9 is pretty common deer hunting scope for sure. It will not limit you at all.
Old Mil ftw
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2012 at 23:57
In heavy cover the 2-7 will work better because of the wider field of view at the low end . It will be much better than a 4.5 on the low end. That will be too much magnification for the 30 yard quick shots you are likely to encounter in N Georgia. 7X is not that far off of 9X on top. 7X at 500 yds is like 71 yards with 1X.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2012 at 07:28
Vortex Diamondback would be a better than the redfield.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2012 at 07:55
I strongly suggest you look at Sightron. They are on sale now and offer many choices at fantastic pricing.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2012 at 08:02
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I strongly suggest you look at Sightron. They are on sale now and offer many choices at fantastic pricing.
slipped my mind complelty,  Great suggestion. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2012 at 10:57
If you think you might want to play with some longer shots at the range, or maybe get some longer shots in Texas with your brother, I would probably opt for the 3-9x40. It is versatile enough for most situations you are likely to encounter. I hunt alot of varied terrain from swamps to clear cuts, and have never been hindered with a 3-9x40. I have taken shots from nearly arms length to over 600 yards with 3-9 and the 40 takes in plenty of light for most realistic situations if you are using good glass. I am a firm believer that good glass trumps big objectives every time. 
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2012 at 20:26
I would think that the redfield would be a good scope for you and should fill your needs pretty well. I like a 2-7 because they are compact and offer plenty of magnification to shoot big game out to 300-400yds.The nice thing about the 2-7 redfields and the leupolds that it is pattered on is they are not only compact but light weight as well. My buddy put one of the 3-9x40's on one of his rifles 2-3 years ago and as far as I know has not had to touch it since. Having said all of that the Burris scopes are also very nice scopes. I have seen the diamond backs in the stores and they too seem nice. I have seen the sightrons but have zero experience with them but they seem popular with those on here that have them. All in all there are a lot of good scopes out there for under $200 so you almost can't go wrong with any of these. You did not mention what kind of rifle you have but watch your mounting length as some of the 2-7's are pretty short. Just my $.02

Edited by powderburn - October/10/2012 at 06:02
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2012 at 20:39
Welcome.  This is a good one to consider as well:

Nikon 2-8x32 Monarch Riflescope Nikoplex Nikon 2-8x32 Monarch Riflescope
Stock # - NIK8437
  • Matte
  • Nikoplex
  • 1"
$229.95
Add Nikon 2-8x32 Monarch Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl01_Add2Cart_KitComponent_2495_0" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl01$Add2Cart$KitComponent_2495$0" ="">
< id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl01_Add2Cart_KitComponent_2495_1" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl01$Add2Cart$KitComponent_2495$1" ="">

Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic