OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

30mm Red Dot question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtufarker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 30mm Red Dot question
    Posted: March/17/2006 at 18:32
Hey guys and gals,

I just picked up a sporterized mauser with a 1 piece Leupold standard base.  I would like to go with a red dot on this rifle, but I am not sure which one of the 30mm red dots would fit.  I don't want to sink too much money into a scope for this rifle.  I am specifically interested in the following 3 sights, but am unsure if they will fit.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/851112/simmons_shot_dot_ 30mm_sight.htm
http://www.riflescopes.com/products/MR30BK/bsa_panoramic_30m m_scope.htm
http://www.riflescopes.com/products/AC10326/new_barska_1x25_ red_dot_30mm_sight.htm

Currently, the 1" rings measure 4.55" outside to outside.  Would the extended rings be necessary?

Edited by mtufarker
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2006 at 14:09
I would recommend that if you want to use a red dot you select a higher quality scope because where the dot appears on the cheap ones will change based on where your head is behind the scope. Not so with aim point red dots.  If you are using a Leupold standard base a set of Leupold standard rings in 30mm should be in the $30 range. I would suggest using a tasco 3-9x40 and 1 inch rings both less expensive than what you have shown. I don't think you need the extended rings but It is a question to ask when you order.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
JPinSC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/18/2006 at 18:41
Do not know about that model BSA, but found their pistol scopes and red dots were, to put it bluntly, a POS. I have been having good luck with a Pro Point 2 on a 357 Mag.  A bit more expensive, but worth it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic