OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New premium scope with old sub-premium eyes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New premium scope with old sub-premium eyes
    Posted: October/03/2012 at 20:39
Never thought I'd be asking this. I'm considering a premium scope such as a Swarovski Z6, etc. My concern is that with 46yr old bespectacled eyes I won't be able to tell much difference from a 1 to $3k scope and the Trijicons, Conquest etc. I realize my exit pupil requirements are shrinking in proportion to my dilation ability, so a 1x56 brick is a waste of money. I'm thinking 5mm should be a close figure to shoot for.
http://windrockphotography.com
"Do you really think the deer cares what kinda pants you was wearin'?" Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinni
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2012 at 01:16
Hard as it may be, I'd advise taking a look through various scopes if you can. And to the contrary, the worse your eyes get it seems the more they benefit from the better glass.
Reaction time is a factor...
Code4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Code4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2012 at 02:06
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Hard as it may be, I'd advise taking a look through various scopes if you can. And to the contrary, the worse your eyes get it seems the more they benefit from the better glass.

+1. Even young eyes can not always make it to 'normal' exit pupil sizes even under ideal conditions. My 52yo eyes need x2 glasses to read and the better the quality of scope the easier I find it to see what i want to shoot.

I have gone from Leupolds to Kahles and Zeiss scopes because of this.

Reward yourself with some premium optics. 'You won't look back'.
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2012 at 02:17
jonoMT has it right, the older eyes get the more you need premium glass.
The better a scope, bino's or a spotter are the better you can see what you are looking for or at.
Go with the best you can afford, you will not be disappointed.
Compare the view thru a Zeiss Conquest or new Leupold VX3 versus that through a Swarovski Z6 or a Zeiss Victory, for most with older eyes the differences are very visible.
Some with various kinds of eye diseases may not be able to take advantage but most will.
I have noticed that the better quality glass lets me see better at dawn and dusk and even during the day.
Get a small color chart and resolution chart you can take with you from place to place to test and view with, the differences between good and excellent will become evident.
Since I don't need to range beyond 350 yds a first focal plane isn't my first choice, that is why I prefer my Swaro 1-6 Z6 over my Zeiss 1.5-6 Victory, YMMV.
Not all but most game is shot closer in rather than further away so the Swaro 1-6 or 1.7-10 Z6 are a really useful pieces of glass.
Test them both, you won't be disappointed.
Art
Good day.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2012 at 07:24
My older eyes also prefer the Swaros over the others. However, that said, the Leica scopes also are dandy (IMO) for us old farts. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2012 at 07:45
I can only reference what my dad see's with his eyes as he will often come over when i'm shooting to watch and chat.  He has a nikon monarch on one of his rifles.  He had trouble getting a clear image with it that he can feel comfortable with.  He does however gravitate to my 300 WSM with the swaro Z5 on it often and has no trouble with getting a crystal clear image.  If he used a rifle anymore I'd buy him a swaro, but he hasn't shot in years.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2012 at 18:32
Thanks for the replies. Not what I expected. I really like the Trijicon Accupoint reticles, though I do question their true value in legal shooting light. Looks like a Z6 with a #4 would do just as well. Amazing what I will go through for 30 minutes more useable shooting time. Especially since I over sleep half the time anyway.
http://windrockphotography.com
"Do you really think the deer cares what kinda pants you was wearin'?" Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinni
BobbyH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2012 at 07:28

The older (48) I get the more I like premium optics.  There is a difference at the end of the day.

Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2012 at 08:40
My 69 year old eyes are functioning much better at dusk with my better (Zeiss Diavari and Swaro) scopes than the cheaper scopes that I own.  I would say that, being older and having beter optics is more important than when I was 45 years old.  This is especially true in bad light.
CDR3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic