OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

rifle scope finish

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stryker_Byrd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rifle scope finish
    Posted: October/03/2012 at 16:19
I have a riflescope in matte finish that I want to refinish in gloss. Any suggestions on how to go about doing this? I want the scope to match my blued barrel. Thanks.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2012 at 16:33
Cheapest and safest is find a blued scope. A few are still made. You will need a steel tube to get a blued finish. Most newer scopes are Aluminum or some kind of alloy, lighter and stronger. The finish then is painted or anodized. Leupold still makes a blued scope or 2.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2012 at 17:26
With a few exceptions, most gloss "blued" scope finishes are still anodized aluminum tubes just like their matte counterparts, except the tube is polished rather than grit blasted prior to anodizing.  
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2012 at 18:14
Stryker, there really is no easy way to refinish a matte scope to gloss.  Converting a matte finished scope to gloss anodizing would involve completely disassembling the entire scope, removing the matte finish, polishing the tube, re-anodizing, and re-assembly, which isn't practical to do.  You can have the scope painted with a gloss blue/black finish, but it's very difficult to duplicate the color and polished look of blued steel.  I think your only practical option is to just buy a gloss scope.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2012 at 18:23
What kind of scope and rifle are you trying to match up. By the way welcome to the OT. If what you are wanting to do is feasible someone here is bound know how and where. 

johnnyo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2012 at 21:33
How much trouble is it to change a blued scope to a matte finish! I have a Leupold 3.5x10 with a AO!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2012 at 22:30
Krylon! Better yet strike a trade with Stryker above. Then you will both have The color you want with out either of the scopes getting messed up and the warranty void.

Edited by 3_tens - October/03/2012 at 22:37

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2012 at 07:28
IMO, if you try to paint one it will look just like that, and most likely, not be very durable. I concur with the above consensus... just buy a gloss scope and be done with it. Why don't you do a trade-in with SWFA and then pick out exactly what you want? 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2012 at 07:59
Originally posted by bugsNbows bugsNbows wrote:

Why don't you do a trade-in with SWFA and then pick out exactly what you want? 

Yep, that's what I'd do.  Nothing wrong with a painted finish... but they look like painted finishes.
Ted

smesk403 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smesk403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2012 at 10:22
depending on the scope the cheapest way to go about it would probably be sell the matte and buy the same scope in a gloss. 
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2012 at 21:50
The gloss scopes you get today are gloss black. To match a blued of a riflerifle will need to find an older scope, Unless Leupold still makes one in the classic line. I can't remember the last new blued scope I have seen. Probably not since the mid to late 80's. I have 3 Blued scopes All 3 are Weavers and none are later than 1970. K-3, K-6 and a V-9 B. Not saying there not any. Just nothing I can remember.  Loco

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic