OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Arkansas Black Bear Hunt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2012 at 17:37
What about some MRE's.  That is the easy way to eat.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2012 at 21:45
Don't forget the Jerky & some water proof matches.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2012 at 15:27
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Mark loves those things.

Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Don't forget the Jerky & some water proof matches.
I love jerky
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2012 at 15:49
Originally posted by Skylar McMahon Skylar McMahon wrote:

Mark loves those things.

MRE's beat the heck outta C Rats!! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2012 at 16:03
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Mark loves those things.
MRE's beat the heck outta C Rats!! 

The one you brought last year were really good.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2012 at 19:39
Here's the list and the items that I have.

I will have everything else by Thursday night and will be leaving right after work on Friday.
2012 Arkansas Bear Hunting Trip

X
Three pairs of Wool Socks

X
Boots and Tennis Shoes

X
XPS Camo Rain Coat

X
Under Armor Fleece Pull-over

X
Under Armor Camo Pants

X
Under Armor Base Layers

X
Under Armor Camo Jacket

XX
(2) Under Armor Head Gear

XX
(2) Under Armor Gloves

XXX
(3) Pairs of Boxers

________
(2) Pairs of Jeans

XXX
(2) Regular Shirts

X
Ground Blind

X
Back Pack

________
Orange Vest

X
Head Light

________
Flash Light

________
Watch

X
Binoculars

X
Compass

________
Map of the area

________
Cooler

________
Garbage Bags

XXXX
Bow, Arrows, Broad heads, and Release

________
Thermacell/ Bug Repellent
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2012 at 07:28
Oh and a Ricshaw to carry it all....
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2012 at 11:19
With the arrows I am going to use Carbon Express.

It's a 350 spine, 30 1/2" long and using 125 grain BH's.
But do you think Mechanical or Fixed blade?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2012 at 11:44

If its a good quality broadhead either will work.  Whatever your comfortable with.  I use fixed mainly cause I ain't found a mechanical I liked enough to stick with. 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2012 at 12:17

With the arrows I am going to use Carbon Express.

It's a 350 spine, 30 1/2" long and using 125 grain BH's.
But do you think Mechanical or Fixed blade?

slick trick or G5
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
rober10 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rober10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2012 at 02:54
Thanks for the heads up about poly and especially about ventilating.

I got a pair of wicking poly (best of both worlds?) thermals but my wife calls them "leggings" and I'll just have to do some kind of fleece pants as insulation under my shell.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2012 at 14:54
First of all, what a hard hunt.

We headed out Friday right after work.  My dad was going with me, because he's from Arkansas and doesn't like to miss the chance to go back when he can.

I told him, it's only a weekend trip and pack only what you need. Well after loading up his neccesities, WOW, we could have survived for two weeks, with everything that he brought.

So we make are way up through Oklahoma, and jump off 69 to 270 and start making our way to Mena, Ar.

We get there and pull in to Wally Work about midnight and I get tagged up.
(I know my console looks horrible)

Took a short nap, and then headed out into the woods.
Saturday morning we ventured out into mountains, we were about 1900-2300Ft up and the fog was tremendous. We started to hunt in the Muddy Creek WMA, but could not find anything, no prints, nothing at all. Great area though.

After trying to spot and stalk, we posted up where we did see a ton of traffic.  Got the ground blind set up and started glasssing. I tell you what the Thermacell's work great.  We started with a mosquito problem, but it was nearly instant that they dissappeared.
We stayed out untill after dark and started to see alot of lightning. And after seeing all the haze, determined it was rain. Glad we got out when we did, because it poured.

The storm was a squall line that was nearly the length of the mid-west. This guy was carrying three inches of rain and hour and had nickel size hail, also threatened to bring tornados. Nothing we are not used being from North Texas. Cheaptrick was kidding about the rain. Seemed to hit faster than what I was thinking.

After how the first day went, I'll be honest, I was disappointed. My dad suggested that we go up north where he was from and try it out up there. I explained to him that Bear Season in that area was closed, and he said that's fine, there are a ton of deer.  By the time we made it up to Ozark, it was late and slept in the truck again. Got about three hours of sleep before we had get up and start out.

Sunday morning we were up at 4:00, fuel up and then start up HWY 59, AKA the pig trail because of its popularity with motorcycle enthusiasts.  This road zigs and zags all the way from IH 40 into Missouri.
But 35 years ago when my dad was running around he said this is where he hunted and it was by Bee Rock.

We get to that area and its still dark and we are in the forrest, many of you know, that nearly every mountian looks identical.

Supposedly we would hike up about 1/4 mile and we would hunt off this plateu.
Not quite. We hiked up about three miles of path and the fog was so thick it was hard to determine which way was East.  I'll admit it, we got lost and I nearly had a bad mechanical injury.  With all the moisture I slipped off a rock and landed on my side. I'll be feeling that for about six weeks.  This heavy weight is out of shape.  But I was looking for moss and found my tru north and then a new pet for my son.

Here's the view looking up.

We made it out, and we were both hungry and there is a small shop on the Mulberry river that we went to. Outside it was cool talking with the locals, because my dad met a guy who went to elementary school with my uncle and I was talking to his friend who invited us to go hunt on his land.
I was beside myself when he asked.

He said" Skylar, I only have 88 acres but my property backs up to 2.2 million acres of National Forrest. Wink

Needless to say I was I was empahtic.

Truthfully, I wasn't expecting what he did. We get there and he asks me if I know how to drive a side by side. Then throws me the keys.

We drive all over his property and he tells me I can hunt whatever I want. Deer, Fox, Bobcat, Turkeys, anything doesn't matter.

I find a stand and there is a ton of sign of everything Bear scat, Deer tracks, Turkey sign, everything was hitting this.

I went to talk to him about it, and he said that one was his favorite stand. This is where he has shot everything. Then he pulls up the trail cam pics.

Bear were coming to this stand every day, as welll as deer turkey.

Things were looking up at this point. So I get everything ready. Double check my zero and head out.

I sat up there until eight then came down and came up to his house.  We talked for about an hour and he kept apologizing for my not being able to see anything, but I told him that is why it's hunting and not killing. He was saying now, that he's retired this is all he does is hunt.

We swapped information and he said next time, to let him know and he will start ahead up time and have something ready for me. I couldn't believe it. A short conversation is turning into a friendship that just came out of no where. 

This is one trip I will never forget.

The products we used for this hunt were:

3_tens View Drop Down

Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2012 at 16:13
Fantastic! Its funny more of the hunts I remember are the ones that the intended game wasn't there.
The ones that were successful have had the adrenalin removed by the kill. Plus the long drag from the woods. ( I grew up Pre ATV)
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2012 at 16:30
I would still have to drag him out.
We were on the mountian. At least 400 yards up hill.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2012 at 17:01
Excellent pics and story. 

Yeah, I warned you about the weather there. It can dramatically change from minute to minute, especially in the fall.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
donalds View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donalds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 05:54
Flashlight , rope and cold camp are the things which you might be missing.I guess that will surely help you.I wish your trip goes great.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 09:59

Is there anything you guys think I'm missing?

A first aid kit that includes bandage pads, rolled bandages, duct tape, blood clotting agent and painkillers.
The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2012 at 15:51
Getting ready for next year.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2013 at 04:59
Great post.
Thanks Excellent
Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2013 at 13:33
Toilet paper if you have the room!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic