OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ZR ED2 Spotter - tripods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ZR ED2 Spotter - tripods
    Posted: October/03/2012 at 14:33
So I just ordered the 20-60X ed2 spotter to complitment my Steiner Peregrine XP Binos. Strapped on budget now and was wondering what would be recommended as the best full size tripod staying under $100.00. Lower the better.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2012 at 20:51
Sorry, you are looking the wrong direction.  I understand perfectly about budget, but when you have a big spotter like the ED 2, you will turn it into a sub $50.00 POS with a crappy tripod.  You also need a decent head.  I use a SLIK 700 pro with the factory supplied pan head.  I also can recommend the Manfrotto 190 and the Manfrotto fluid head.  Those will get into the $300 range with a fluid head and $200 with a good pan head.

If budget was the problem, a Ridgefield spotter and a good Tripod, or even a Vortex Viper and a good tripod would have maybe been a better choice.  The Tripod is at least as important in successful spotting scope use as are the optics in the scope.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2012 at 07:30
Though I agree with Steve about the value of a good tripod I will say that there are some bargains to be had in tripods if you hunt hard enough. I found a discontinued model on clearance a year or so ago. I believe it was the Slik Pro 330 DX. I used it briefly with my Zen Ray ED2 spotter when I still had it in my possession. It worked well enough but wasn't as "fluid" as the Manfrotto setup that I use with a similar spotter now.

In addition, if you can stretch your budget another $50 then I would suggest considering the Vanguard Alta tripod. It is a solid design in terms of size, weight and load capacity.

Hope this helps.
Frank
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2012 at 11:05
I also agree with Frank about bargains to be found.  But you have to know something about tripods before you know if you are getting a bargain or getting a soaking.  So stay with good names.  Vortex also makes a pretty decent $100 tripod, their High Country model,  I should have mentioned.

I'd call some dealers, starting here with SWFA and see what they have to say in response to your question. 

Edited by Klamath - October/06/2012 at 11:11
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

ahiaring View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2012 at 22:14
I bought the Vanguard Espod Plus 233a today...seemed nice and sturdy and panned smooth...We will see how it works out...Got a decent deal I think at $85.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2012 at 11:01
I just checked it out. It looks good on paper. I look forward to hearing how it works out for you in person.
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic