OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tikka T3 .308 hunting ammo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocket99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tikka T3 .308 hunting ammo
    Posted: October/01/2012 at 21:05
Any one have any suggestions for our big Kansas whitetails? This is a new caliber for me and was hoping someone might know what flavor these Tikka's prefer. I do not reload.
PPD7800 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PPD7800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2012 at 21:49
My Tikka Loves the Hornady 168G TAP. It did a hell of a job on my Antelope, but I think I would feed if SST's for regular hunting.  Not that I have a problem with TAP if I can trust it to kill a 250 lbs. man why not a deer?
"The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."
smesk403 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smesk403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2012 at 22:02
federal premium nosler partition is always a good choice. 
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2012 at 22:49
Most bullets are designed to perform well at .308 impact velocities.  Just about anything will work on whitetail.

I am a big fan of Nosler Accubond bullets though, and they are factory loaded in .308 by several manufacturers (including Nosler Custom).  They seem to shoot in just about every rifle.  The 150 gr. loading would be just about perfect.
-Matt
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 04:22
Hornady Superformance .308 either the 150 or 165 gr. SST. I shoot it in my .257 Roberts, in my .270 and in my wife's 6.5 Creedmoor.

Peddler ExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellent
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 10:45
I'm a big fan of accubonds, partitions, and nosler ballistic tips.  If I could figure out this picture posting thing again I'd post a pic of one of our hunters recent antelope and some sst carnage.  
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 11:25
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

I'm a big fan of accubonds, partitions, and nosler ballistic tips.  If I could figure out this picture posting thing again I'd post a pic of one of our hunters recent antelope and some sst carnage.  

I'd be happy to post them for you, if you want to email me your pics, but please do use caution when posting pictures that can be considered "graphic", per forum rules. 

·      Extreme gore / “blood & guts.”  This applies to hunting images as well.  Only respectful "Hero Shots" of harvested game can be posted.  Pictures of bloody game, game hanging, or game in the bed of a pick-up truck are not respectful to the game animal and portray a negative image of ethical hunting.

rangerconcrete@gmail.com
If you want me to post them. 

ra

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 12:45
Both my father and I hunt with 308's and have used Remington Express Core Locks.  Southern deer in TN and AR are not that big and we have always had good results with the 150 grain variety.  My suggestion would be to buy a variety of loads and figure out what shoots best in your rifle, I did the same thing with my TC Venture before I started reloading.  A good bonded bullet like the Federal Fusion would be more than adequate for deer, they are not that tough and bullet placement is always key as I am sure you know.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 13:35
I just started using the 168gr Berger VLD hunting bullets. Only shot a hog through the noggin, so not sure how these will work on body shots. 
Exceptionally accurate in my .308 though. 

My bad...just read that you don't reload. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 13:36
How did it work on the hog's head?
-Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 13:41
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

In and out...shot him at about 40 yards or so while he was eating corn off the ground at a feeder.
Decent exit wound, Matt.  
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 13:48
I have taken many deer and hogs with 168-gr Amax, but after hunting in Africa, where game is exceptionally tough, I am now a dedicated hunter of Barnes TTSX and TSX bullets, amazing performance, full weight retention from those bullets recovered.  Barnes are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

Hornady TAP is plentiful and works quite well.

My Tikkas have all been shooters, I would guess yours will not disappoint.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 13:54
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

In and out...shot him at about 40 yards or so while he was eating corn off the ground at a feeder.
Decent exit wound, Matt.  
I have used Bergers on a few critters.  Pretty consistent.  Pencil entry, and massive internal damage.  At least some portion exited.

Not your classic "controlled-expansion," but effective none-the-less.

RC,

I have also had great results with Barnes TTSX.
-Matt
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 15:58
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

I'd be happy to post them for you, if you want to email me your pics, but please do use caution when posting pictures that can be considered "graphic", per forum rules. 

·      Extreme gore / “blood & guts.”  This applies to hunting images as well.  Only respectful "Hero Shots" of harvested game can be posted.  Pictures of bloody game, game hanging, or game in the bed of a pick-up truck are not respectful to the game animal and portray a negative image of ethical hunting.

rangerconcrete@gmail.com
If you want me to post them.
r

It's pretty nasty, so I won't bother.  139 gr SST Hornady superformance ammo out of a 7mag at 140 yards.  Spined the 'lope broadside, baseball sized hole, basketball sized exit.  I've never seen anything like it.  
rocket99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocket99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 16:14
Was their anything left to eat off of the goat after you hammered it?

After I get the Tikka "zeroed" with the cheapo federal bullets. i am going to pick up some:

Barnes TSX 150gr
Hornady SST 150gr
Superformance SST 165gr
Federal Partition 165gr

Thanks for all of the help, both with the Zeiss and the ammo.  I am expecting great things with this set up!!!Bandito

rocket99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocket99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 17:56
Oh my......
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 18:00
I have a tikka t3 308 that really likes the remington corelokts. I've shot some pretty good sized deer and some seriously huge hogs with it and have had no problems as of yet with it.
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 18:02
Holy crap JG!! gotta love that 7magWink
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 18:27
That is gonna be deemed too gory.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 18:29
I am no Mod here, but that is probably too much for an open forum.

It also illustrates what happens when a bullet hits well above its intended impact velocity.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic