OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tikka T3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocket99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tikka T3
    Posted: October/01/2012 at 16:48
After more research, I cancelled the layaway on the A7 and bought a Tikka T3 in. 308. I am still trying to decide between the Meopta and the Conquest. Are the rings that come with it any good? Or do I need to buy new rings? Or new rings AND bases?
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2012 at 17:33
I have a tikka t3 in 308 and I swear by it. it will print tiny little clover leafs all day with about any ammo you want to feed it! I never had any problem with the factory rings, but alot of people like to switch them out. As far as the 2 scopes you mention, if you are referring to the meopro, I would probably just flip a coin. 
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2012 at 17:33
DO NOT use the Tikka rings, it is an exceptional value - all but the rings.

I recommend Tally light-weight rings for that caliber/rifle combo.

I have several Tikkas and am a huge fan: smooth action, very accurate, very reliable.

Many complain of the plastic bottom "metal" and plastic magazines, but I have yet to break either.

Meopta can be a little tight on eye relief, that might be important, might not.

Very nice rifles for the price.  And the "after market" offering is getting better.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2012 at 18:02
I went through this about a year ago. I think the Tikka is the better value for sure and I have had 2 and 1 Sako 75. I started drooling over the A7 Tecamate. But,I slapped a B&C medalist stock on my T3 and bam.....feel like I have one.

I have had several Conquests and they are great scopes. I have one on a .223 that will probably stay there for a long time. And I have one on a .22 magnum that is a jam up set up !

I put a Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x40 firefly on my T3 and it's awesome,the rainguard is a big plus. The money saved there could buy some Talley's or Dead Nutz rings. I have went with Leupold standards myself, on both of mine and have never had an issue. One of mine was a .270 WSM and the other is a 6.5x55.

I have never used the factory rings, I am sure they work but I didn't mind spending the extra. To be honest, I have a few nice rifles that have descent glass, but I am mostly hunting with my Tikka T3/4200 set up ! I guess it's my knock around gun but it just works so good,it's really hard to fault !
smesk403 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smesk403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2012 at 22:00
Originally posted by cbm cbm wrote:

I went through this about a year ago. I think the Tikka is the better value for sure and I have had 2 and 1 Sako 75. I started drooling over the A7 Tecamate. But,I slapped a B&C medalist stock on my T3 and bam.....feel like I have one.

now if B&C would only make their medalist in a lefty then I'd be happy. 
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2012 at 20:14
I have them in .270 and .243 calibers. I've tried the Conquest, Minox, Leupold and Trijicon. I settled (for now) on the Trijicon Accupoints in 3-9x40. The length and weight work out well. The heavier the scope is the more recoil it will feel and the tighter the rings will need to hold. It's the whole body in motion and body at rest thing. I used several different rings in steel and aluminum. With a light recoil round such as the .308 and a light weight scope, the Tikka rings have done fine. Those are the ones I now use. I wanted the light weight Tikka T3 to remain a light weight package. The only issue I've had was a seized screw that held the ring to the receiver.
http://windrockphotography.com
"Do you really think the deer cares what kinda pants you was wearin'?" Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinni
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 08:22
I put the DNZ one-piece base/rings one both my Tikkas, and they're working out very well. They're lightweight and get the scopes low, very close to the bore. The .308 wears a Nightforce compact, the .243 an Accupoint 3-9 from the Samplelist.

penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 08:31
Can't seem to upload the .308 photo. Apparently the files are named the same, and I can't seem to rename them on the IPad.
rocket99 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocket99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 08:33
I like those DNZ's that is what i am going to use
smesk403 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smesk403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 10:13
looks good. Ive got leupold bases on mine, I like the one piece. of those DNZ's
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 11:03
Me, too. I wanna get some DNZ for my Tikka. 
Visit the Ed Show
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 14:54
Looks great, Penguin. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
sherm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 20:45
I have the Tikka in 30-06, with a Conquest 3x9 on the factory rings. The factory rings are great, I have never had a problem with them. 
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2012 at 08:31
I've got 2 T-3's, a 7mag that lives with my nephew, and a 7-08 that my son uses.  Both wear a Conquest with the factory rings.  7 years and no problems.  I believe most people, when mounting a scope, over tighten the rings anyway, and this is where most scope issues are found......improper mounting. 

I also have a tikka 695 in 7mag that wears a leupold and optilocks.  I much prefer the optilocks.  
Oh4 Get about it View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oh4 Get about it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2012 at 13:03
My buddy has a T3 in 300 WSM and the rear base post bent he put on DMZ mounts and has never had a problem 
jehu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jehu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2012 at 08:05
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

DO NOT use the Tikka rings, it is an exceptional value - all but the rings.

I recommend Tally light-weight rings for that caliber/rifle combo.

I have several Tikkas and am a huge fan: smooth action, very accurate, very reliable.

Many complain of the plastic bottom "metal" and plastic magazines, but I have yet to break either.

Meopta can be a little tight on eye relief, that might be important, might not.

Very nice rifles for the price.  And the "after market" offering is getting better.

As said do not use the rings that come with it. Get the Optilock rings and bases they are rock solid. I have * Sako's all with the Optilocks and never had a problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic