OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

One pumped Dad here !!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One pumped Dad here !!
    Posted: October/01/2012 at 08:08
Well guys, I shared my son's first kill 3 years ago when he was 8. It so happened at the end of that season that we lost that piece of property. He had killed 4 deer that year and all was going good. I always felt he was too calm about it at the time. But last year was a different story, we got a new piece of property and played our cards right. He missed two doe's early, which he usually would have hit but he was a little excited. Then  one night a nice buck came out and he almost hyperventalated on me. He ended up getting it together and shot but the buck got away on me. Not sure what happened, he looked hit real hard but I never found him. And then came the first doubt in his .223 for deer hunting after the two of us have killed 16 deer with it.

So this year, we got our old stand back, where he killed his first deer. I road out about a month ago to check things out and see what the guys hunting it had done over the last couple of years. While walking the 1/4 mile or so in I found a really nice shed, big for SC. Once there, it looked like they had pretty much not hunted at all. And my shooting house had pretty much caved in. A ditch that we road over had half caved in and now you can only get through with an ATV. So I went back to the shop and cut up some wood and a new roof and went back in hauling it all with my 1984 3 wheeler and a trailer. Got it put up and ready to start hunting. Man I hoped we would get a crack at the buck that dropped the shed.

Last night we decided to hunt. The temp had dropped yesterday and it was overcast and misty raining. While walking in we bumped a 2.5 year old buck off the road in. Once we got to the stand there was a 1.5 year old buck on our corn. We bumped him out and sat. About 5 minutes left of good shooting light I looked up and saw a deer at the end of our lane. I told my son to get ready and looked back and realized it was a nice buck but didn't think it was the big one. I had brought my Tikka 6.5x55 and he was a little scared of it. I told him to be calm and take his time. He was nervous but after last year, I think he didn't want a repeat. After what seemed like 15 minutes, he squeezed the trigger and the buck dropped down quick but took off. I waited a few minutes and went to check things out and couldn't find any blood. I was sick. He was so disappointed last year when we couldn't find the other deer. I kept looking and looking and finally saw a trial with several fresh scapes. I started walking it out and found his buck 20 yrds down it. Talk about one happy Dad ! Wow. And to top it off, it scores higher than any of my bucks !! Not bad for an 11 year old !! Oh yeh, it was the buck we had the shed of, he grew 3" on his main beam, almost 2" on his G2 and 1" on his G3 .

Edited by cbm - October/01/2012 at 08:26
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2012 at 08:12
Excellent
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2012 at 08:39
That's great. What part of SC? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2012 at 10:35
Nice!Excellent
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2012 at 11:08
That's great. Thanks for sharing.
Reaction time is a factor...
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2012 at 22:15
Very cool.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2012 at 22:17
Nice animal.  Thanks for sharing.  I am sure you and your son will treasure those memories forever.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2012 at 22:29
Outstanding!  Man, what a nice buck!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2012 at 22:33
Awesome post.
-Matt
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 06:55
Thanks guys ! Pretty awesome considering his biggest buck was only a 1.5 year old fork horn.

I'll tell you guys the funny part ! I am 42 and haven't been in the gym in a while. Loading a 182lb deer up on a 3 wheeler and then having to take it off and drag it up in a lifted truck, after you have driven the 3 wheeler up in the truck, about whipped my tail. I feel like I have been run over by a bus !! WhackoBig Grin
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 09:52
nice SC deer!  congrats to your son!
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 16:39
That's a nice buck anywhere, not just SC.  Congratulations to you and your son!
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 17:45
Originally posted by cbm cbm wrote:

Thanks guys ! Pretty awesome considering his biggest buck was only a 1.5 year old fork horn.

I'll tell you guys the funny part ! I am 42 and haven't been in the gym in a while. Loading a 182lb deer up on a 3 wheeler and then having to take it off and drag it up in a lifted truck, after you have driven the 3 wheeler up in the truck, about whipped my tail. I feel like I have been run over by a bus !! WhackoBig Grin
I hear ya Man! I have 5 sons! I'm 47 now and survived a massive heart attack at 44.... thank god all of my boys are grown now and carry my game for me now, but man do I remember the days when I got hit by that same bus!!Big Grin
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2012 at 07:50
That is fantastic. What a great looking deer.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2012 at 08:36
Originally posted by cbm cbm wrote:

I resemble that remark... Congrats to you and your son... I took my daughter last year and she got her first deer. This year is my sons turn since he just turned 10.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/27/2012 at 09:08
Believe me at 42 you are a young whippersnapper. Just starting to reach where the age throttle is just starting to go down. 
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2012 at 18:19
Flat out awesome!!!!
Congrats
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2012 at 19:12
God bless America!!!!! 
This is what makes our country so great. My first son just turned 1 in Oct and I cannot wait to take him out in the field! I hope he takes to hunting an shooting like your son did. More men should be less selfish an put their kids in the good spotsExcellent
SC is a state of mens men! I have a good friend that lives in Charleston an the southern hospitality and hunting/shooting roots never ceases to amaze me... 

Dont take yourself to seriously
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/30/2012 at 07:03
Good looking buck and young'un! By the smile on his face the sayin' is still spot on. " Take your son hunting an you will not be hunting your son."
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2012 at 12:37
jselsor, I appreciate it.....man you wouldn't believe the guys(Dad's even) that have asked me why I let my son shoot it. I just kind of have to shake my head and laugh about it.

Thanks everybody. I got his mount back yesterday.....the guy is really moving along with them this year. I rough scored him around 148-150 gross, my biggest whitetail is 138. So he's got my pretty good !! ShockedBig Grin

Here's a couple pictures of the mount-

Edited by cbm - November/02/2012 at 12:46
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic