OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Canada eh!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 16:24
Originally posted by GetSome GetSome wrote:

Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

What are the " Girls " names ?

Peddler YippeeYippeeYippee

Well it seems like the girls have gone through a lot of names, but I've settled on Georgia for the Winchester 7mm Rem Mag, cause she's always on my mind and my favorite rifle.
That POS Remmington .300 win I've been calling Tony after this hot little gal I dated in high school, she was sexy as hell and a pleasure to hold when everything was right, but was mean as a snake... I think I will settle on a different name soon because she is really coming around after bedding the one piece base and the action to a new B&C stock.  Will start handloading for her soon... so far as factory rounds go she likes the Barnes TTSX 165's (couldnt find the 180's anywhere local to try) and Black Hills 190gr.  she shoots each load right under an inch.  I was really dissapointed at first with the rifle and Rem corelokts .. she grouped anywhere from 2.5-3.5 inches not to mention first trip out was a real dissapointmet with Remington, the extractor had a large lip on it that had to be ground off just to chamber a round without beating the bolt home, and a bur inside the action that had to be removed because it was scoring the cases really bad.  Like I said though, she is coming around ... the only other complaint I have is the oversized firing pin hole, so she might get a new PTG bolt in the future.

Bedding the "girls " works sometimes if you get my drift. Sorry aboot your misfortune and I sure hope your #1 " girl " brings home the bacon.

Peddler    
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2012 at 16:20
So yesterday evening my wife was in a clearing with her dad and the guide trying to call in some moose when she started to hear something behind her, she couldn't see anything though, she let her dad and the guide know and shortly after a wolf crept out of the brush at about 30 yards... her dad shot it, and it died almost immediately, then came the howling from all around them in the timber, Summer was spooked, and had to talk the guys into calling it a night but with only about 25 min. of daylight left I don't blame her... thank goodness for good ears, cause those other two probly never would have heard it lol.  Summer was a little upset over the whole deal, she is a wildlife biologist and has worked with wolves although she mainly works with other endangered species in the northwest.  She works with spotted owls in the spring and summer months, which makes for some great dinner conversation between her and my buddies, 90% of whom are loggers, or have logged at one time or another.  Anyway, wish I had a more detailed report, and hope they took some good pics I'll post whatever they bring home.
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2012 at 21:04
How did you like the HSM 168 VLD's? I have a new Winchester mod70 in 7 rem mag also, mine is also becoming my favorite rifle. If I do my part, it will shoot the VLD'S under an inch all day long. I was wondering though, have you had a chance to shoot an animal with them? I'm planning for whitetail and was curious as to how they would perform. I'm assuming it is the lower rifle in the pic.

Good luck to your wife.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2012 at 21:06
mil169,

I have killed critters with Berger VLD-H, inlcuding a bull elk, and they provided quick kills.  I would say you will likely be fine hunting whitetail with them.
-Matt
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2012 at 22:35
Mil 169

I have not had the opportunity to take any animals with the bergers yet, was hoping to on this trip.. maybe when my rifle gets back, I have a blacktail buck tag and also an antlerless deer tag..so maybe soon.

GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2012 at 00:22
One down one to go ... from what I hear its pretty hard to judge the age but they are guessing three to four years old.  Got this one first thing this morning, spotted him on the edge of a cut with a couple year old reprod growing up on it ... by the time they worked in on it, he had moved to this area, Jerry shot it with a handloaded Bear Claw in 7mm not sure what grain, and was backed up by the guide with I don't know what rifle lol, but it went 50 feet and dropped dead, pretty good for moose from what I hear.  Hanging weight was 680 if i remember right with no head, hide or lower legs. 
Cheers!!

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2012 at 08:00
Excellent
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2012 at 14:24
Thunbs Up
Visit the Ed Show
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2012 at 15:48
Looks great...gotta get up north one of these years!
Reaction time is a factor...
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2012 at 20:56
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Looks great...gotta get up north one of these years!

Yeah, me too...lol
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2012 at 20:57
A little progress on the deck.

DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2012 at 21:19
Very solid.  Nice work. How long do you have to complete the surprise before she comes home?
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2012 at 21:24
Nice moose, Get Some.

-Matt
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2012 at 21:35
I have until Sunday, should be in good shape.  I just need to find a sitter for the little guy when it comes time to do the roof, he loves to help and he scares the crap out of me because he is fearless right now.

I really wanted to truss it and tie it in to the roof, but it's just not in the budget right now so it will be a slanted roof with roll out composite roofing.  It looked good in my head, but I think I went too big at 16'x14'

Edited by GetSome - October/10/2012 at 21:41
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2012 at 21:43
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Nice moose, Get Some.

Thank you sir, sounds like Summer did everything but pull the trigger on this one.  Hope there is a little more time for her on the next one. 
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 00:55
Excellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 06:42
The deck is looking good!  You won't be sorry about the size.  It's amazing how much it will shrink as it nears completion!!! If anything you'll wish you had made it bigger! Excellent
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2012 at 21:19
Thanks Bud, I know what you mean about the size, and with handrail it will appear even smaller on the inside, but I blew the budget on Cedar decking today, so the handrail is going to have to wait until spring.  You know how that goes though... if it doesn't just bug the snot out of me, I will probably just start another project instead.

Hunting report from Canada is... one left to go still, tomorrow is the last day of the hunt, been seeing cows and calves, but no bulls.  Drifted down the river this morning hoping to spot one on the bank, just wound up fishing and then starting a fire once they hit the shore, guess it was pretty cold up there today.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/12/2012 at 12:47
Excellent
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2012 at 16:49
Sorry for not posting about the hunt sooner, it was a fairly hectic week.  So they only got the one wolf with no pics of that, and the one moose with the pic above, seems like most other pics are not appropriate to post on this site as they are of the moose being cut up.  I will try and get some uploaded to photobucket or something and post a link tonight.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic