OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Canada eh!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Canada eh!
    Posted: September/29/2012 at 13:20
The girls are dialed and ready for a 10 day hunt up in Ft. Frasier ... wish me luck... Hunting moose for sure, will see aboot the white tail and mule deer when we get there.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2012 at 14:28
Good hunting, Get. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2012 at 15:41
Good luck
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2012 at 17:10
Go get them! We look forward to the follow up report.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2012 at 19:37
Watch out for the ones in the road along the way. Stay safe and happy Hunting.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2012 at 20:01
Good luck!  Put your knives in your bags (not in your pocket) when you cross the border.

-Matt
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2012 at 02:07
Good hunting,rack 'm up.Send some pictures.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2012 at 05:07
What are the " Girls " names ?

Peddler YippeeYippeeYippee
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2012 at 07:31
will see aboot the white tail and mule deer

Only Canadian hosers talk like that eh!  Have a good trip James and good luck on the hunt.
God save the Empire!
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2012 at 11:54
Happy hunting!
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 12:17
Well crap.... no Canada for this kid, they wouldn't let me across the border.  Turns out my DUI is a deal breaker for getting in there.  I can apply with the Canadian Consulate and see where that gets me, so maybe in another two years I will try again.  Not all is lost though, my wife drove up to the border and took my place on the hunt, and with any luck will fill the freezer, she has my 7 Mag Winny with her and should do good, she is much better in the woods than I am so I have high hopes for her on the hunt, talked to her this morning and they had about another two hours to drive, and the snow was falling, hope that sends the moose into rutt.  Thanks for all the advise and well wishes gentlemen.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 12:33
Man... what a bummer deal, GS!  I'm sorry you weren't able to go, but I hope your wife has a great hunt!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 12:39
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

What are the " Girls " names ?

Peddler YippeeYippeeYippee

Well it seems like the girls have gone through a lot of names, but I've settled on Georgia for the Winchester 7mm Rem Mag, cause she's always on my mind and my favorite rifle.
That POS Remmington .300 win I've been calling Tony after this hot little gal I dated in high school, she was sexy as hell and a pleasure to hold when everything was right, but was mean as a snake... I think I will settle on a different name soon because she is really coming around after bedding the one piece base and the action to a new B&C stock.  Will start handloading for her soon... so far as factory rounds go she likes the Barnes TTSX 165's (couldnt find the 180's anywhere local to try) and Black Hills 190gr.  she shoots each load right under an inch.  I was really dissapointed at first with the rifle and Rem corelokts .. she grouped anywhere from 2.5-3.5 inches not to mention first trip out was a real dissapointmet with Remington, the extractor had a large lip on it that had to be ground off just to chamber a round without beating the bolt home, and a bur inside the action that had to be removed because it was scoring the cases really bad.  Like I said though, she is coming around ... the only other complaint I have is the oversized firing pin hole, so she might get a new PTG bolt in the future.

GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 12:44
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Man... what a bummer deal, GS!  I'm sorry you weren't able to go, but I hope your wife has a great hunt!

No one to blame but myself.  I think it will be a great hunt and will update with pics when they get back.

Another bonus is the two weeks off work that I get to be with my 5 year old son, I've been on the road 5 days a week for the last 4 months and really haven't spent much time with him... every moment on the weekend just isn't enough. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 12:56
I have heard the 7 mag will do a number on moose.  Are you running 160 accubonds out of it?

Good luck to your lady.  Sorry about the Canuck Border.  Those snivelers stole my knife...
-Matt
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 12:57
Are you taking that pumpkin? 
Visit the Ed Show
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 13:46
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

I have heard the 7 mag will do a number on moose.  Are you running 160 accubonds out of it?

Good luck to your lady.  Sorry about the Canuck Border.  Those snivelers stole my knife...

LOL sorry to hear about your knife..

I have loaded some 160 AB for it, and although they shoot well with RL 19 and 22 they shoot best with the RL 22 so far at 64.5 gr, they are really slow @ 2733 loaded to max mag length with still a long jump to the lands, cant remember how far.  Hope to start working on it some more, and want to verify velocity with another crono before going any more, although there are no pressure signs at this point.

I took some Winchester Supreme with 160 AB, and some 168 VLD's by HSM .... the outfitter up there really doesn't like anything under .30 cal for moose, but I figure he will make an exception for the wife, I was taking the 7mm mainly for deer, and wolf...
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 13:49
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

Are you taking that pumpkin? 

I was thinking about it.... actually the guys at the border took a large bag of apples away from the wife yesterday,  so I doubt the pumpkin would have made it through customs.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 14:04
Originally posted by GetSome GetSome wrote:

Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

LOL sorry to hear about your knife..

I have loaded some 160 AB for it, and although they shoot well with RL 19 and 22 they shoot best with the RL 22 so far at 64.5 gr, they are really slow @ 2733 loaded to max mag length with still a long jump to the lands, cant remember how far.  Hope to start working on it some more, and want to verify velocity with another crono before going any more, although there are no pressure signs at this point.

I took some Winchester Supreme with 160 AB, and some 168 VLD's by HSM .... the outfitter up there really doesn't like anything under .30 cal for moose, but I figure he will make an exception for the wife, I was taking the 7mm mainly for deer, and wolf...

I would have to beg to differ with your outfitter - the 7RM will do for moose just fine.  I highly recommend checking out Retumbo with the 160 AB.  I am right at 3000 fps, and boy do they shoot tight!  Retumbo is also highly resistant to temperature variation.
-Matt
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 14:49
Yes sir, I agree with you, my father in law has killed 4 moose with his 7RM, his brother and cousin also have got a couple with theirs also... they have all been hunting with the 7mag since they were teens and it first came out... all with rem 700's too.

I will give Retumbo a shot when I start loading next... thanks for the heads up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic