OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Considering Eliminator III & Soliciting Opinions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Considering Eliminator III & Soliciting Opinions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Considering Eliminator III & Soliciting Opinions
    Posted: September/27/2012 at 20:57
Hi, my name is Eric and I'm new here. Or, well... I'm a new MEMBER, but I poked around the threads a bit before registering.

Long story short...

I am considering buying a Burris Eliminator III, probably in 4-16 x 50.

I have 3 candidates for it, although I don't see any reason why I couldn't use one scope on three rifles as long as I didn't want to use it on more than one rifle at a time.

A Howa 1500 in .308 (More scope than that cartridge needs, I know)
A Model 70 in .270
A 700 in 7mm Rem Mag

Why am I thinking about this scope?
Please let me tell you, because I think this is important and might affect your opinions.

Simply put, I'd like to some day be able to shoot well enough that I could justify treating myself to something like a $3,000+ Schmidt-Bender or other high end scope AND a rifle good enough to go underneath it. Right now, I would be wasting my money to buy something like that.

So I thought, hey...
Why not get an Eliminator, take some of the variables out of shooting past just a few hundred meters and spend a few years working on my technique? (I'm not really in a hurry here.)

Not having to worry about ranging, drop, etc. and instead being able to focus on my position, breathing and hold... That seems like a good idea to me.

AFTER I get to the point where I can consistently shoot to the full capabilities of that scope (IF!), then I can worry about stepping up to something with longer range in terms of both glass and gun.

And if I never get that good, well... I guess I'll be glad I stuck to the $1,500 scope range. Wink

So what I want to know is; is this a valid idea at all?
If so, would the Eliminator III be a reasonable choice that would do for me what I think it would?
And in case it isn't, what WOULD be a wise choice?
The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2012 at 21:38
I have no experience with the Eliminator, but have you seen this thread on it?

http://www.opticstalk.com/1st-time-out-w-my-burris-eliminator-iii-to-1k_topic33998.html
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2012 at 22:53
http://swfa.com/Mil-Dot-Master-P91.aspx

Get an SWFA SS3-9x42 and PRACTICE. I've never used the eliminator, but they won't teach you how to shoot long range without a laser, period. It's not possible, because IT DOES THE CALCULATIONS FOR YOU.If you want to go to true alpha glass, start with something less, and learn how to range with a dope book/card for your rig. Just my $.02. Worth what you paid. Oh and welcome! This is a great forum.

Deck

Edited by DCAMM94 - September/27/2012 at 23:10
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2012 at 23:37
The digital age is upon us. The eliminator will do the easy part for you, which is range, and drop. The challenge has always been, being able to dope the wind. The Eliminator helps with that as well, as it has a reticle with wind holds on it. But the truly baffling part of the scope is, the red-dot that gives you range correction will be correct no matter what mag the scope is set on. But the dang reticle for wind-holds, is in the second focal plane, and will be most "correct" at only one power setting. Unless, of course, you like doing math! Which it would seem, is the reason this scope was made! 

I also understand Deck's point of view, about learning the reticle in a mil-dot, or other ranging type reticle scope. But let's face it, most shooting is done on square, known distance ranges anyway. And when comes to shooting long-range, doping for range has always been the easy part for me... The wind on the other hand, that might cause some cussin'!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
smesk403 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smesk403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2012 at 00:43
had a chance to try an eliminator 2 on a savage 110BA 338 Lapua. after about 4-5 shots the scope was shot. rangefinder completely stopped working
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2012 at 08:48
I personally won't trust any binos or scopes that require batteries.  
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2012 at 09:29
Any? really?  Just shows how closed minded people are. There are great scopes out there that use batteries so to each his own.  The eliminator is an advanced rifle sighting system.  Those who use it or have normally have pretty good things to say about it.  It is not designed to handle big heavy recoilers (who would put one on a 338 anywaysLoco)   I know if Ernie can use it out to 1K and actually like it Its got to have something worth checking out.  Also Robert with Respect Outdoors swears by them.  He must be successful with it or he wouldn't keep using them.  They are good scopes but not ideal for someone wanting to learn to dial in corrections and such.... IMO  IT takes the work out of it for you sans the windage hold.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2012 at 23:15
Sparky -
Yes, I did. But thank you just the same.

Deck -
To be honest, I'm not really worried about the math or eyeballing part. I used to be a Forward Observer, so I'm actually pretty good at distance estimating already. I'm also pretty comfortable with math. (I even have a t-shirt that says; "There are only 10 types of people: Those that understand binary and those that don't.)
I really believe that my major obstacle is ME. As in, my body. Holding it still, controlling my breathing, not twitching, etc...
My main motivation is that if I can take the OTHER variables out of the equation as much as possible I will be better able to focus on my body mechanics.
I just don't know if my IDEA is valid, and even if it is, whether this would be a good choice.
The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2012 at 00:15
In that case I would  just start working on it the old fashioned way, as in  get proficient at closer ranges first. And then progressively working out further. The  Laser/scope might even make it harder to get good at driving the rifle. This is because the aimpoint on the cross-hairs is going to vary depending on range. The good news about using a scope that dials for correction, is the fact that the center of the cross-hairs is always the aiming point. This allows for a more consistent cheek-weld, IMHO. Anything that allows me to be more consistent and stable behind the rifle is a good thing

The shortest route on to what you are trying to achieve is going to be a marksmanship course. Professional instruction, and supervision to correct mistakes, will allow you to see what is needed. Short of that, a .22 at 100-200 yards is an effective and cheap way of learning how to shoot. It is even  good at simulating a center-fire at much longer range because of how much the wind pushes those little bullets around.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2012 at 02:08
Billy,
In terms of the wind holds being in the SFP, true.  As is the whole reticle.
But the technology knows when you are changing power and adjusts it for you (via the wind hold listing in the upper right of the scope) as you change magnification.
This is what I believe to be true.  I will check in the next couple of days to confirm this.

Eric,
So far I am really pleased with this scope.  After I pop a buck antelope with it, I am going to put it on a Rem XP-100 in 284 Winchester I just had built.

I do have a 338 Snipe-Tac (408 Chey-Tac necked down to 338 and improved), just to see how it holds up.
I am not sure what it is rated for-Maybe I call Burris first before I do thatBig Grin

Read the link that was listed and then ask away.  I will be hunting with it next week for lopes.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2012 at 10:07
Let's say you range something at 550 yards and you will get your wind correction #.
If you turn down your magnification you will watch your wind correction # change as you change the power.
So, even though this is a reticle in the SFP, the technology makes it work like a FFP-Both wind and drop.  It doesn't get any better than thatExcellent
Ernie

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2012 at 00:26
Buck I shot recently using the Elim 3:
Ernie

MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2012 at 22:50
Nice.

What kind of stock is that?
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2012 at 23:15
McRee
Ernie

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic