OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Marlin Guide Gun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marlin Guide Gun
    Posted: September/27/2012 at 14:54
Hello Smile

I've been snooping around for stuff to expand my arsenal and the Guide Gun caught my eye:

Does anyone have any experience with this rifle? I've never owned or handled a lever-action gun, but it seems simple enough... 

Also, the .45-70 seems to be ideal for thick bush, just what I need. Any comments there?

Thanks
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"

-A. Einstein
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2012 at 15:00
I believe a couple members here have similar or that gun. ST I think for sure
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2012 at 16:51
I have that gun too. use it for deer and hog in south Ga. swamps. quite the thumper that one is!
And I really like the lever guns for close up work. my all time favorite is my 336 in 35 remington.
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2012 at 18:06
I have a real keen interest in this rifle, as well. 

No scope...Ghost Sights, perhaps.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2012 at 05:24
We used them at work, lots of thump on both ends and muzzle blast from the brake.
We used a 405 grain bullet at about 1600 fps and a 350 grain bullet at 1800 fps, both did what was needed.
I have never had to shoot anything but was present when a good size black bear was dropped, the shooter hit in the right place and the bruin took an immediate dive, second shot immediately to the head, our ears rang for a while but one dead bear.
I usually carried my .338 but would have had every confidence in the Marlin.
Try one and see how the recoil and muzzle blast effect you...some of our female staff actually preferred the .375's because they felt they had less muzzle blast.
A eighteen or twenty inch barrel without the brake recoils harder but is not as loud and has less muzzle blast.
Ammo selection is important, get the right bullet for the velocity, the plain 405 grain Remington load works well to 125 yards (trajectory is a problem at longer ranges).
Put better sights on it or a low mounted, low power scope and you are ready to go.
Art
Good day.
Trickster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trickster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2012 at 03:29
How's the bluing on the standard rifle? Will it hold rough use out in the field (I do clean my guns after every use), or should I play it safe and get the stainless version?
"A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?"

-A. Einstein
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2012 at 07:00
I have the 450 guide gun 18" barrel.  It has been used extensively in the bush while dogging and the bluing and stock finish are just fine.  I don't abuse or baby my hunting rifles and it has held up well.  With the Hornady 350 gr Interlocks it has a decent push but not too noticeable when used off the bench in hunting clothes.

Edited by Dogger - September/29/2012 at 09:15
God save the Empire!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2012 at 09:01
I have the 45-70 guide gun.  Love it.  Has pretty good recoil with heavy rounds like the buffalo bore stuff.  I have a scout scope for mine, but I almost never use it.  I run the williams rear sight and a fiber optic type front post.  Great gun for brush hunting.  I carry mine a lot in grizzly country.

My only complaint is the stock trigger.  I replaced mine with a wild west.  Easy to do and cut the pull in half.  Also cut out the gravel feeling.  Smooth and crisp now.  

I can highly recommend this rifle.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2012 at 01:57
I have a Marlin 1895 SBL in .45-70 which is a stainless Guide Gun that comes with XS ghost ring sights and scout scope mount, gray laminate pistol grip stock and large loop lever.  Great gun, currently set up with a Burris 2.75x scout scope.  Marlins have good build quality, are durable and accurate with lead and jacketed bullets and black or smokeless powder.  They can be easily taken down to clean from the breech using a small bore guide.  I also have a 24" octagon barreled Limited Marlin and have previously owned 22" and 26" Marlins in this caliber.  I am a long time hand loader.  What most of the Ballard rifled barrels, as used on the Guide and Cowboy guns, can be expected to deliver in accuracy is around 1.00" at 100 yards scoped and a bit over with open sights or red dot sight with quality ammo for shooters up to the task.  Some days I am and some not.  Don't be surprised if your 150 and 200 yard groups are not much larger.  I consider these to be 200 yard max range hunters and I shoot mostly mid power loads with 405 and 430 grain lead and gas checked bullets.  I've shot these with red dot sights as well and if I get to take it to Alaska will probably set it up with a Trijicon compact dot sight.  These are neat rifles and the Guide Guns have decent recoil pads.  They still thump the shoulder pretty good.  Twelve mid range rounds in a session is okay, 20 pushes my limit.  I don't shoot more than five top pressure level loads at a time and then only infrequently.  The Hornady LeveRevolution ammo and bullets stretch out the range and level the trajectory a bit so may be useful for some purposes. 
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2012 at 10:51
I have the Marlin 45-70 SBL. I have a Leupold 2.5x scout scope mounted on it currently. I like it well enough, but the action is very rough. It doen't hold a candle to the smoothness of a Henry. When I first got the Marlin it took dozens of rounds to get it where it would reliably load and extract a round, but eh brass is always all scratched up. It even eats the edges of the rim. Is should send it back to Remington (Marlin) but I am not confident they will improve it.
Jack
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2012 at 11:44
Not to be a wet blanket, but there are lingering rumors that Marlin's Quality has gone down the crapper since they are now "aligned" with Remington. You may want to do some research yourself. Loco 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2012 at 12:43
Originally posted by jladams jladams wrote:

I have the Marlin 45-70 SBL. I have a Leupold 2.5x scout scope mounted on it currently. I like it well enough, but the action is very rough. It doen't hold a candle to the smoothness of a Henry. When I first got the Marlin it took dozens of rounds to get it where it would reliably load and extract a round, but eh brass is always all scratched up. It even eats the edges of the rim. Is should send it back to Remington (Marlin) but I am not confident they will improve it.

Thanks for your comments. 

I was wondering how the Henry lever action compared with the Marlin. 
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2012 at 15:07

[/QUOTE]

Every Henry I have handled had an action as smooth as butter. If they made a 45-70 at the time I was buying one I would have bought the Henry instead of the Marlin.
Jack
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2012 at 15:15

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2012 at 16:15
Originally posted by jladams jladams wrote:

Every Henry I have handled had an action as smooth as butter. If they made a 45-70 at the time I was buying one I would have bought the Henry instead of the Marlin.[/QUOTE]

I checked out a Henry 30/30 yesterday at a gun shop. Pretty smooth. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2012 at 18:28
As a reloader the question come in how strong is the action on the Henry the Horniday book offers multiple max loads same bullet but different action. So long as one is using only one type of 45-70 one can measure their powder accordingly. The problem comes when someone grabs a hot load for a Ruger #1 and throws it in a Marlin and OOPs or in a Trap Door rifle and Ouch.  The Marlin is a pretty solid strong action and I like the design but a hot load 45-70 for a Ruger #1 approaches what you get from 458Win Mag but then if one is to go Ruger #1 why not go 458 Lott like a certain lumberjack we know.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2012 at 21:15
This is from the Henry website.

"Factory .45-70 ammunition has been cataloged continuously since 1873 but never in the variety of loadings available now, in the 21st century. They range from 405 grain lead bullet, low-velocity loads for deer hunting and target shooting to high-velocity 300 to 400 grain jacketed bullet ones meant for large game. Our new Model H010 .45-70 can handle them all. "

http://henryrepeating.com/rifle-45-70.cfm

I have been thinking about a Marlin in 45-70 but now I will have to take a look at the Henry 45-70.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic