OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA SS & what height Tally Rings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA SS & what height Tally Rings?
    Posted: September/25/2012 at 17:36
Hi guys!

Just about to acquire a Remington 700 LTR.  On an VERY tight budget but still want to be able to shoot the rifle.  Have only about $400 to set up optics.

Was thinking of getting a SS in Mil-Quad but can't decide on the 10x, 12X or 16X.  I currently have a 5-20 Accupoint and can't imagine going with any less magnification, I use 20x most of the time.  I don't think anything else is affordable and not going to buy junk.  High quality/druability is a must.

Mounts ......  I wanted to keep the rifle as light as possible so was looking at these:

Talley Lightweight Aluminum 30mm Scopemount

http://swfa.com/Talley-Lightweight-Aluminum-30mm-Scopemount-P8379.aspx

I'd like to get the flip up covers SWFA offers (if they're recommended?) and keep the scope as low as possible.  I need a real high cheek weld so this is important. 

Confused about the Talley heights and they list their height dimensions different than most.  Badgers is all I've used used.  Anybody got any experience with these mounts?  Are they recommended?  Again I need something ultra durable.

Another option I have is to get a 1pc. picatinny base because I have a set of 30mm Badger rings on hand......but for 1/2 the price of a Badger base I can get the Talley set and shave off some weight at the same time.  I like the fact there will be room to load bullets in from the top - much easier than a solid 1pc base.

Looking forward to the advice, Thanks!

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2012 at 18:25
Welcome to the OT. 

Here's LOW Talleys with Leupold 40mm objective.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Billy7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2012 at 22:17
Nice set-up!  Thanks for the pic.  Are you happy with the Talley's?

It sure looks like a 42mm (swfa ss) w/flip-caps would fit on there okay.  Hopefully someone will know for sure.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2012 at 06:03
Originally posted by Billy7 Billy7 wrote:

Nice set-up!  Thanks for the pic.  Are you happy with the Talley's?

It sure looks like a 42mm (swfa ss) w/flip-caps would fit on there okay.  Hopefully someone will know for sure.

Supremely satisfied with the Talleys.

Yes, I forgot to mention that I've had a 12x, 42mm SS in these rings too. Worked great, even with the BC lens covers.

excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2012 at 08:02
You can get a 1 piece Weaver picatinny 20moa base for ~$30. I have them on both of my Rem700 30-06s.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2012 at 08:38
Stick with the Talleys if you want to keep it light.  I have Talleys on my Remington 700 and TC Encore and am very pleased with them.  Cheaptrick is correct, the lows will be perfect for what you need, I mounted a Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 with BC caps on a 700 Varmint with Talley lows and had plenty of clearance.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2012 at 11:40
Originally posted by excess650 excess650 wrote:

You can get a 1 piece Weaver picatinny 20moa base for ~$30. I have them on both of my Rem700 30-06s.

This suggestion gives better scope mounting, (fore and aft), capabilities. I have and like both.
For hunting, I'd go with the Talleys so you can get gloved hands into the ejection port area a little better, to load/unload. 

Kinda weird now that I think of it. My Talleys are on a stick with a detach magazine, while my picatinny rail is on a standard BDL magazine. Heck! 

Both set ups are good.   
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2012 at 14:53
I have a 4.5-14x42 Burris in talley low's and it fits just about perfect.
I like the talley's alot and recommend them often.
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Billy7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2012 at 17:10
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.
Leaning toward the Talleys. My stuff gets beat up so hope they'll be tough enough.

Will check on that Weaver base too as another option.

Still undecided on a fixed non-HD SS. From what I've researched the 10x has the clearest view but worried about not enough magnification. Hear the 16x gets a little fuzzy and the eye relief isn't so good unless your exactly straight behind it. It's difficult to decide when it's impossible to try in person. Maybe the 12x is a happy medium?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2012 at 19:43
The 12x is what I have, friend. I think it will suit you. I also have an old 10x SS, which I think highly of. 
Billy7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2012 at 21:10
Thanks Cheaptrick!
Loved that band.

Are you able to see .30 cal hits on paper out to 200 with the 12X?
I need my Trijicon on 20x for see them. Thats about as far as my old eyes will allow me to see. .
Want to avoid having to buy a spotter too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2012 at 06:36
Originally posted by Billy7 Billy7 wrote:

Are you able to see .30 cal hits on paper out to 200 with the 12X?

I don't know. I haven't had it out that far yet. 
excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2012 at 09:52
I can see 30cal in paper at 100 yards with my 6x. My first SS was the 6x and I've shot it to 1000 yards. The 10x makes the reticle a bit larger. I'm sure you could be happy with 10x or 12x. I find mirage to be a problem after 12x.

My 700 30-06s are both old ADLs, so must be fed from the top and I've not felt handicapped by the one piece Weaver picatinny. With Burris medium Signature Zee rings I had to shorten the front of the base to clear the 42mm objective for proper eye relief, but I'm also using the +/- 10 inserts in the rings to further tip the scope. Going to high rings of the same variety caused my POI to shift by 20moa, so the lower rings maximize the elevation adjustment in my scope.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2012 at 14:21
Originally posted by excess650 excess650 wrote:

My 700 30-06s are both old ADLs, so must be fed from the top and I've not felt handicapped by the one piece Weaver picatinny.  

I understand and I have and will continue to champion Picatinny rails, but the two piece Tally's and the like, are easier to access the ejection port. They just are..... 
Billy7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2012 at 17:44
I'd consider a one piece base with an ejection port cut out but have only seen them for long actions..... Other than the UTG which I tried and it broke.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic