OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Laser Rangefinders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

TBR in Leupold RX 1000i worth it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMAKKER13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TBR in Leupold RX 1000i worth it?
    Posted: September/23/2012 at 12:26
Anyone have an opinion if the ballistic compensator in the rangefinder is worth the extra cost?  Thanks.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2012 at 16:02
I like mine ok.  It ranges what I need, but the glass is not great.  Haven't compared the two, though.  The best feature about it is the illuminated display like the Leica.  Between the two, if I hadn't gotten Leupold to replace my RX-II with the RX1000i TBR for the $100 difference, I would have spent the extra cash on the Leica, even without the TBR.  Hope that helps.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2012 at 23:13
Any Leupold model with TBR....  NO
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
THEMAKKER13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMAKKER13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2012 at 07:28
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Any Leupold model with TBR....  NO

So do you think the Leupold is worth it at all?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2012 at 07:41
From my past experiences in the field with Leupold range finders... no

Get a Leica and don't look back.

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2012 at 08:00
To put my experience in context, I had to send my RX-II back three times.  The third time, I told them that they could either replace it with the RX-1000i TBR and I would pay the difference, or they could just keep it.  Each of the first two times they returned my RX-II, they sent a brand new model.  It wouldn't range anything but a pie plate on a fence within 100yds.  My RX-1000 does ok out to 400-500 yards, but it's not in the same class as the Leica.  The TBR is ok, but not worth the extra dough, as others have said.  If I were buying new, and didn't have a "trade in" like I did with the RX-II, I would buy one of these without any hesitation:

Leica 7x24 CRF 1000 Rangefinder Leica 7x24 CRF 1000 Rangefinder
Stock # - LEI40529
  • Black
  • Compact
  • Waterproof
  • Measures in both Meters and Yards (10 - 915 m / 10 - 1000 yds)
$599.00
Leica 7x24 CRF 1600-B Rangefinder
Leica 7x24 CRF 1600-B Rangefinder
Stock # - LEI40534
  • Black
  • Compact
  • Waterproof
  • Measures in both Meters and Yards (10 - 915 m / 10 - 1000 yds)
  • Provides holdover values
  • Provides true horizontal distance equivalent to target in yards (or meters)
  • Provides holdover in ¼ M.O.A (or mil radian)
$799.00
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
THEMAKKER13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMAKKER13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2012 at 08:43
Ok thanks for the help guys.  What do you think about the Zeiss?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2012 at 09:51
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2012 at 10:46
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

From my past experiences in the field with Leupold range finders... no

You ought to use the 1000 i before you trash it.  I think all Leupy RF's are junk too, with the exception of this one.  I had one side by side all weekend with a  client's CRF 1200 antelope hunting.   The Leupold 1000i w/TBR would range things his CRF wouldn't.  Not all the time, but several times throughout the weekend.  The readout on the Leupy is much easier to see in bright sunlight too.  There was never an instance when his would read and mine wouldn't.  When they both got a reading, they were within 2 yards of each other every time.  All this in the very worst possible ranging conditions....very hot, cloudless blue sky, very flat ground with sparse cover.  I've owned the CRF 1200, and  the Swaro 8x30.  This 1000i is a different animal than the previous, and is excellent.  I've used it 100's of times guiding hunters. 
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2012 at 11:00
The Zeiss is an excellent rangefinder that ranges further and faster than the Leica (in my experience), but it is notably bigger than the Leica.

The Bushnell Elite 1600 will outrange the Leica (and maybe even the Zeiss), but the optics are a few steps behind.
-Matt
smesk403 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smesk403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2012 at 14:49
I've had a couple leupold TBR's currently the 1000i TBR. It's solid for the money. The glass isn't great but it reads fast and the red display is nice at lower light. It's does everything I need it to do. but compared to the others mentioned the glass is not up to par.
GHILLIE.308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GHILLIE.308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 08:28
Originally posted by THEMAKKER13 THEMAKKER13 wrote:

Anyone have an opinion if the ballistic compensator in the rangefinder is worth the extra cost?  Thanks.
YES it is worth the extra 50 bucks!!Sold
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic