OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

VX-R 3-9x40 and SWFA service

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VX-R 3-9x40 and SWFA service
    Posted: September/22/2012 at 09:33
I ordered a new VX-R on Wednesday at around 1pm. Cody at SWFA made sure it was in my hands yesterday so I could mount it and sight it in time for a hunt this evening.

Great service. Thank you.

The scope looks good. I mounted it on my DPMS LR308. I have not shot it yet, will do this afternoon and level the cross hairs. I really like the FireDot 4 reticle. Nice and bold.

I am not convinced on the optical quality yet, but I will know more when I get it out in the field.

The biggest disappointment was that the scope does not include any kind of scope cover or lens covers.

Thanks SWFA!

Edited by jladams - September/22/2012 at 21:38
Jack
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2012 at 11:12
Have the same scope, but with Fire Dot Dulpex reticle. 

Glass isn't that great, but I like the scope overall. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2012 at 21:53
I mounted the scope in a PEPR mount, and finally took it out this afternoon to sight in. I was pleased that my first shot at 25 yards was perfect on the windage with no adjustments whatsoever on the scope. Fired a couple more and the result was one slightly enlarge hole about an inch and a half below the point of aim.

After shooting at 25 yards I moved back to 100 yards. I set up on the hood of my truck so I did not have the best rest (I didn't have time to set up like I normally would). I stepped away, and for the first and hopefully last time, I watched my LR308 fall off the hood of my truck onto the ground. I thought, "well I guess we will find out how sturdy this rig is now". I fired three shots into just under and inch, centered 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inches above the point of aim. No adjustments were made to the scope on windage or elevation. As a result I didn't test the tracking.

I never had a setup that I didn't have to tweak a little. I will try to move out a little farther on my next trip out, but for what I intend to do, it is certainly up to the task.

I was going to try to shoot a hog or two with it this evening, but it ended up being a crazy day and I had to put it off.

I was better pleased with the scopes optics than I thought I might be. It actually seems a little better that my Conquest 3-9 x40. I also have several Minox ZA3 3-9 x40's and the Leupy seems as good, though maybe not quite as bright. The color and resolution are quite good I think for the price.
Jack
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2012 at 11:49
Hate that it fell but glad it did not damage!

The VX-Rs are the best that leupolds put out in a while IMO
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2012 at 13:19
Sorta surprised that you thought the glass was better on the VX-R than your Conquest, but I admittedly haven't done a side by side comparison. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2012 at 14:31
My Conquest may not be the best. I am sure that there is some variation in quality from scope to scope from the same line. My Minox scopes are better at the center than my Conquest, are a fair bit better to my eye in low light, but I like the reticle of the Conquest (Z-Plex) much better than the duplex in the Minox.

The FireDot 4 is much better than either. I like the glass i my VX-R a little better than my Conquest. Part of that could be the reticle, but it seemed the target was more pleaseing to view and the bullet holes at 100 yards were very easy to see. Maybe a resolution chart would show the differences better. At the least I do not believe I got lower quality glass.

I am well please with it so far. Now, if my Kahles had the same reticle, I would be stoked.

Jack
Jack
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic