OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for medium rings/mount with rails on top
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Looking for medium rings/mount with rails on top

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whaptor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for medium rings/mount with rails on top
    Posted: September/20/2012 at 19:06
I spent a long time debating optics for my SCAR 17, as it's my only rifle for now and probably a long time (sold the others to buy it).  I want it to be viable in CQB as well as for much longer ranges.  I finally decided that instead of compromising and buying an expensive variable power 1 to whatever, I would prefer to just mount a reflex sight on top of a low mounted scope. 

So now I need some help finding said rings.  I like the Burris AR PEPR, but it looks  a little tall for the setup I'm going for.  I'd like to use the scope while the built-in cheek riser is down, and the reflex when it is up. 

So basically I need some medium-tall rings with picatinny on top, or I need someone to tell me I'm wrong about the PEPR and it's not tall. 

I found the CAA rings, but they are not only cheap as hell, but also discontinued.  I would be scared to put those on an expensive scope.  I don't know if that fear is justified or not, but couldn't they bend the tube if they are out of spec?

I have a good deal of experience with firearms from my time in the Army, but the only optics I ever had the chance to use were the M68's and, one time, some old 1x nv thing.  So please feel free to correct me if any of my given assumptions are incorrect.

Thanks!

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2012 at 20:14
Welcome to Optics Talk, Troop. 

I use something that may be of interest to you. 
I have Badger Ord, 30MM rings on a Remmy bolt gun, SS 3-9x and have a Badger Pic rail, which I can run a Aimpoint Micro. 
I haven't used it much, but the little that I have, it worked rather well. 

I'll have a picture of it up on here tomorrow, if interested. I was just thinking I needed to reinstall that Pic rail and leave it on there. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2012 at 20:18

Or is this more to your liking? 
Whaptor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whaptor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2012 at 05:41
Thanks for the quick replies!  I see that with some scopes you would need a mount off to the side, because the adjustment knobs are high.  I plan on getting a Zeiss Conquest 3-9, and the knob isn't much higher than the tube, so I think I would still prefer one right above the ring.  But the Badger looks pretty good if I can't find that.   Does it work pretty well with that angle?

Thanks again!
Whaptor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whaptor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2012 at 05:54
I went to the Larue website to find that one you posted a pic of and found something that should work for what I'm after.

http://www.laruetactical.com/aimpoint-micro-t-1-ring-mount

They have one that attaches to the tube instead of to a mounting ring.  That makes sense, you can turn it at any angle you want.  I think this should do fine for me.  Thank you!
Whaptor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whaptor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2012 at 06:02
Whoops spoke too soon.  They only come in 34mm with spacers down to 30mm.  I wouldn't think that putting those on top of another pair of 30mm to 1in spacers would be very good, could I find some 34mm to 1 inch spacers anywhere?  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2012 at 06:30
Whaptor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whaptor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2012 at 08:16
Oh, badger makes a 12 o'clock too...  My internet search abilities are apparently worse than I thought.  Those badger systems are pretty expensive though, adding up the mount, the rail ring top, and the 1 inch spacers..  over $250.  I can't do that over the $24 gg&g offset.

My last question would be is it possible to mount that under the scope tube?  So it's not so far forward as shown in the picture?  Would I need higher than medium rings to do it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate the knowledge base, as I said before I have little optic experience and I hate buying twice.  So some help making good first time buys is great.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2012 at 08:39
Originally posted by Whaptor Whaptor wrote:

My last question would be is it possible to mount that under the scope tube?  So it's not so far forward as shown in the picture?  Would I need higher than medium rings to do it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really appreciate the knowledge base, as I said before I have little optic experience and I hate buying twice.  So some help making good first time buys is great.

Not sure what you mean. 
Whaptor View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whaptor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2012 at 10:07
In the picture it shows the offset mount in front of the scope.  I was wondering if I could mount it on the rails underneath the scope, in front of the first ring so that it's not so far forward.  It looks like the shape might prevent me from doing that, but I can't tell from the pictures I've been able to find.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2012 at 18:04
Welcome to the OT!

If you are going to mount a red dot whats the difference if it is a little off to the side?You might want to look at a set up that swings off to the side like adding a red dot magnifier.I think this is what you mean!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic