OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tough decision

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tough decision
    Posted: September/20/2012 at 01:11
I need to buy a new spotter but I'm struggling with the budget.
I'm trying to decide between a Nikon Prostaff 16-48X65, a used Leupold Sequoia 15-45X60 and a Vortex Nomad.
I plan to use it for hunting so weight matters. Budget is note very flexible, but I'm definitely open to suggestions with close price tags. 
Hope you can help me decide!!
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2012 at 12:23
Of those 3 listed I would go with the Vortex.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2012 at 13:02
Vortex +1

Old Mil ftw
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2012 at 13:23
I'll throw another into the mix...Theron Optics Saker. ED glass objectives in a model designed to take advantage of their benefits. None of the models that you listed, that I am aware of, have this feature. The ED glass helps provide sharper, more color correct images.

The kicker is the price. The Sakers can be had for around $250.
Frank
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2012 at 15:34
No offense, Frank, but that brand isn't one SWFA carries, so seems to me this is a competitor reference.
Reaction time is a factor...
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2012 at 19:56
Really?

So I can't recommend any brand that SWFA doesn't carry on this website?

I thought the competitor reference was strictly about providing links to competitors websites?
Frank
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2012 at 20:21
Your within the rules, Frank. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2012 at 23:19
Here's the way I saw it:

1. Any optic that is comparable to products that SWFA sells is a competitor product
  2. Referring to Theron is essentially referring to their website because that is the only place from which you can purchase them...and yes, I know the site passes you on to their partner site "Predator Optics". But they are one and the same, judging by identical phone numbers on their contact pages and by the WHOIS info for their domains.

I'm not criticizing you Frank and I was actually interested in the spotter. The first place I looked was SWFA's site. Not seeing the brand there, I searched for it online and that led me to the one and only place from which they are available. That led me to post what I did because I saw it as a de facto competitor reference. In the grand scheme of things, I really don't care and SWFA probably doesn't care either. I'm just (spending too much time) explaining my reasoning.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2012 at 06:18
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Here's the way I saw it:

1. Any optic that is comparable to products that SWFA sells is a competitor product
  2. Referring to Theron is essentially referring to their website because that is the only place from which you can purchase them...and yes, I know the site passes you on to their partner site "Predator Optics". But they are one and the same, judging by identical phone numbers on their contact pages and by the WHOIS info for their domains.

I'm not criticizing you Frank and I was actually interested in the spotter. The first place I looked was SWFA's site. Not seeing the brand there, I searched for it online and that led me to the one and only place from which they are available. That led me to post what I did because I saw it as a de facto competitor reference. In the grand scheme of things, I really don't care and SWFA probably doesn't care either. I'm just (spending too much time) explaining my reasoning.

And we greatly appreciate your help in this matter and I didn't mean to over ride your comments. 

I don't care if someone "mentions" or recommends a product not carried by SWFA, but I do care if they post a hot link to another optics vendors website, which in my mind is a flagrant violation of ROE #3. 

Kind of like when someone recommends a Nightforce scope. Not sold by SWFA, but generally a fairly highly regarded and popular optic and gets a pass just so we can keep the traffic moving. 
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2012 at 09:14
Point taken. Thanks.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2012 at 11:53
I am with cheaptrick on this.

We routinely discuss products that SWFA does not carry (Nightforce scopes, for example) and that is perfectly fine.  Direct linking to other websites is strictly verbotten though.

As far as Theron products go, I have talked to the gentleman who owns the brand a while back and he seemed like a good guy.  

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2012 at 11:59
HEY....we finally agree on something!!  

Big Grin
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2012 at 12:00
Pure accident...

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2012 at 17:18
Well, as soon as NF was mentioned, I had to agree! Smile
No offense meant to anybody.
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2012 at 11:42
I like those Redfield 60mm spotter. strikingly similar to Vortex Nomad
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic