OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

BURRIS SIGNATURE SAFARI

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BURRIS SIGNATURE SAFARI
    Posted: March/15/2006 at 17:29
I am considering a Burris Signature Safari with lighted LRS reticle. Does any one have any experience with this scope as far as brightness , clarity, etc... and is the lighted reticle LRS plex a good reticle. When the light is off it still looks the same only black right? Is this a good reticle for a short range deer rifle or would I be better off with a new Signature Select in 1.5-6 x40? Are the Selects lenses and coatings better or the same as Safari? Thanks
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2006 at 14:53

Safari is the same glass as the rest of the Signature Select line.  It is tweaked a little for longer eye relief than other Signature Select scopes.  As far as brightness, clarity, etc are concerned, well all the comments made about Signature Select scopes apply here. For short range this is a very good scope with flexible eye relief and fast acquisition.   This is probably one of the better scopes for your application.  ANother good choice to consider is Trijicon Accupoint 1.5-4x24

ILya

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2006 at 03:02

The Signature Select 1.5-6x40 has a significantly wider field of view than the Signature Safari.  The tapered reticle is very good for woods hunting.  However, this scope also weighs more. (The actual weight is just over 17 ounces, according to my postal scales).

The Signature Safari gives you extended eye relief, but at the cost of a narrower field of view.  (The extended eye relief is only necessary if you have a personal eye relief problem, or you are using a big magnum.)  It is lighter than the 1.5-6x40.

If the weight's not a problem (too much can unbalance a light rifle), and you just need normal eye relief, I'd go with the 1.5-6x40.  It will give you a brighter, wider field of view.

Other choices you might consider:

The new Burris 2-7x35 would give you the same field of view and weight as the Safari, but would add 2x power at the top.  Probably an excellent choice, though I haven't seen it yet.

The Burris Fullfield II 3x9 is a fine choice for an all-around scope on a deer rifle.  It's bright, clear, light, reliable and inexpensive.  I have one of these on a 30-06, and really like it.  I settled on this scope after comparing it with both the scopes you are considering.  It is fairly light, doesn't give up much field compared to the Safari, and adds considerable power at the top.  I would have gone with the 1.5-6x40, but it made my Remington 7600 feel a little too top-heavy. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic