OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6x42 SS MRAD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoTearsOnyDreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6x42 SS MRAD
    Posted: September/19/2012 at 22:38
My 6x42 SS with Mil Quad reticle had arrived today. I have no experience with scopes and no instruction manual to read. Is there anyone that can give me the information that I need before I take my rifle out to the range Friday?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2012 at 07:46
What specifics are you wanting to know?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2012 at 07:48
Yeah, let us know what you need and we can hopefully walk you through it. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2012 at 08:10
Turn the parallax to infinity, point the scope towards the sky and adjust the eyepiece so the reticle is in sharp focus. Reset the parallax to the distance your'er shooting. The parallax adjustment on the 6x is the ring just ahead of the eyepiece. The focus adjuster is the rearmost part of the eyepiece.

Assuming that you're mounting this on a rifle where you can look through the bore, center the bore by eye on a target at least 50 yards away. Without moving the rifle, adjust the elevation and windage so that the crosshairs are centered on the target. Verify by looking through both repeatedly. This will get you close.

NOTE: when bore sighting, your elevation and windage adjustments will appear be backward to what you see through the bore and scope. In other words, to adjust the crosshairs DOWN on the target, move the elevation knob in the UP direction.

If your scope is milrad, clicks will be worth approximately .36" at 100 yards, .18" at 50 yards, .72" at 200 yards...full number moves with be worth 3.6moa.

If your scope is of the MOA adjustment, each click is worth approximately 1/4" at 100 yards, each full number worth 1 MOA.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2012 at 08:47
Shoot-n-see target are also great for setting the zero. After bore-sighting as described above, you should be on a 12" target at 100 yards. Read the reticle, and measure the distance from point of impact to point of aim. Then dial the corrections on the matching knobs...That easy.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
NoTearsOnyDreams View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NoTearsOnyDreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2012 at 13:09
I appreciate the help. Only question I have is how I to calculate bullet drop when my rifle scope is zeroed in at 100 yards, or at any yards for this matter. Would I have to run trial and error, or is there a chart I can find that I would plug in the caliber and the bullet grain?
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2012 at 13:36
Most basic way is th check the tables listed by thew ammunition  manufacture. Ballistic drop programs require many variables that can effect drop. The most important is you have to know the velocity that your weapon fires a specific load and bullet. Charts can get you close but a chronograph is needed to know for sure.
 Welcome to the OT. There is a lot of information on these pages that can assist your education on the world of shooting sports.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2012 at 14:38
Originally posted by NoTearsOnyDreams NoTearsOnyDreams wrote:

I appreciate the help. Only question I have is how I to calculate bullet drop when my rifle scope is zeroed in at 100 yards, or at any yards for this matter. Would I have to run trial and error, or is there a chart I can find that I would plug in the caliber and the bullet grain?

There are ballistics tables with columns of figures in them for various calibers in the back of Shooter's Bibles and Gun Digests and books like that.  Or on the Internet.  It'll give you a ballpark figure of how much drop to expect and then you can shoot and see for yourself. 
Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic