OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.308 any ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutsparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .308 any ideas?
    Posted: September/18/2012 at 16:43
I bought the ruger gunsite scout .308 and i need a scope that will hold up for under 500... i was looking at the leupold vx-1 3-9x40mm, but i wanted to ask around before purchasing it... is that a good scope or does anyone have any better suggestions?
Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2012 at 17:15
for 500$ or less you could do much, much better than a VX-1... the most commonly given answer in response to your general question is the zeiss conquest 3-9x40/plex which will run you just under 400$ most places.

but, if you want more in depth answers, include uses (hunting or target), range of shots, night vs day, ect ect.  and the folks around here will dial you in pretty tight.

oh, and in case you weren't aware, this site is sponsored by swfa.com, one of the largest optics e-tailers out there.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2012 at 17:37
Originally posted by scoutsparky scoutsparky wrote:

I bought the ruger gunsite scout .308 and i need a scope that will hold up for under 500... i was looking at the leupold vx-1 3-9x40mm, but i wanted to ask around before purchasing it... is that a good scope or does anyone have any better suggestions?

Welcome to Optics Talk.

Does that rifle have any scope mounting limitations, IE....Need a "scout" type scope? Not saying, just asking.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2012 at 17:43
At what distances are you planning to shoot?

If you want to use it out to 600 yards or so, perhaps this will work for you:

ILya
excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2012 at 20:45
The Ruger Gunsite is equipped with a peep sight on the rear receiver ring and picatinny rail ahead of the front receiver ring for mounting a scout scope or red dot. It ALSO is equipped with Ruger rings that go on the receiver, but the peep sight must be removed.

The first scope mounted on my RGS was a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5. I've tried a few other scopes since then including a Bushnell Scopechief 4x32 (32mm objective is the largest that can be used with the supplied rings IF the picatinny rail is left in place), Burris Euro Diamond 1-4x and now a Weaver Super Slam Euro 1.5-6x (30mm tube, illuminated center dot reticle, pull and turn turrets). Yes the Burris and Weaver both required 30mm rings, and I chose Leupold. This latter scope is now one of my favorites.

The VX-III 1.5-5 is a good scope for this rifle. http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-5x20-VX-3-Riflescope-P12634.aspx Its light and compact and ~$400.

The Weaver is noticeably bulkier, and noticeably heavier, but the glass is outstanding! The maximum magnification on the Leupold is actually 4.5x and the Weaver 6x (it seems like more because of the superior glass). Its closer to $500 and the rings are about another $70 http://swfa.com/Weaver-15-6x24-Super-Slam-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P40570.aspx

I shot my RGS to 500m with both the Leupold 1.5-5x and Burris 1-4x on silhouettes, and had no problem with lack of magnification. IMO, the RGS is at its best as a short to intermediate range rifle, so a compact, low magnification variable is a good choice.

The Hawke Endurance 1.25-4.5 (30mm with illuminated center dot German #4 reticle) also got a stellar review here for a moderately priced scope. At about $320 it would be worth looking into. http://swfa.com/Hawke-125-45x24-Endurance-30mm-Riflescope-P41107.aspx

I would shy away from the Leupold VX-1 series if you have any intention of changing windage and elevation on a regular basis. The adjustments are of the friction variety vs clicks on the VX-II, VX-III and most other modern scopes.
scoutsparky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutsparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2012 at 15:12
early morning and daytime whitetail hunting in northern pa...i like to sight in at 100-150 yards...i know the gun is overkill for what im hunting but i bought it anyway
excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2012 at 15:46
I normally use binoculars for identification, so don't rely on lots of magnification for woods hunting. In that Pa has antler restriction for buck season, if you don't use binoculars, you may want more than 4x magnification. I THINK that a 40mm objective will clear the barrel using supplied rings IF the front rail is removed, and it comes off rather easily with 4 screws.

In that Pa quite often has bad weather for rifle season, you might consider this 3-9x40 with RainGuard and the Firely reticle. The reticle can be "charged" with a flashlight in 5-10 seconds and will glow for about 30 minutes for those less than ideal light situations.

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-3-9x40-Elite-Rifle-Scope-P48260.aspx

There are LOTS of choices for a hunting scope in the 2-7, 3-9, 2.5-10 range. I wouldn't suggest that you buy Chinese, but the high end Weaver, Bushnell, Vortex, etc are from Japan, so don't be afraid of them.
excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2012 at 15:48
that should read "Firefly", and once I get my post count up I'll be able to edit my own typos...
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2012 at 19:41
Originally posted by scoutsparky scoutsparky wrote:

early morning and daytime whitetail hunting in northern pa...i like to sight in at 100-150 yards...i know the gun is overkill for what im hunting but i bought it anyway

That's my white tail caliber too! I've had good luck with 168gr BTHP not doing a lot of internal damage but still putting them down. Idk if that's the right way to do it. Guess it depends on what it hits in there.

Edited by RotoReuter_DM - September/19/2012 at 19:46
Old Mil ftw
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2012 at 19:51
I would suggest the FX3   6x42 with long range duplex its a similar price range but with far better glass.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2012 at 21:11
IMHO the 1.5-5 Leupold FX-3 is an excellent scope, strong, lightweight and very good optically.
It is a good match for the whole lightweight Scout Rifle concept.
A 1.75-6 Leupold FX-3 is also a good match as are some higher priced scopes...Zeiss Conquest are not unfortunately available in those power ranges.
I have the ER 1.5-4 Leupold on my Scout Rifle and am not convinced it is the solution.
Again I choose a scope that is strong, lightweight and very good optically, unfortunately the best that I know of is the 1-6 Swarovski Z6 ER and it is very expensive.
Better optics, not power, allow you to see better.
As stated previously a good pair of bino's are a much better solution for spotting game than trying to use a rifle scope...as an aside in some areas the Fish and Game type folks may get upset with you for doing that and I know of an instance where a person was shot because they pointed a rifle at another hunter.
Some of the heaviest fire I have ever taken was when my cousin took me out on opening day deer season in Penn.   "Look Karl the deer are wearing orange this year, shoot em"
Art
Good day.
The Annoyed Man View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Annoyed Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2012 at 21:39
I just bought a Gunsite Scout, and I kind of like the Leupold 1.5-5x33 VX-R. Trouble is, nobody has one, including SWFA. I realize that I could save a little money with the FX-II 2.5x28mm Scout scope, but I would really like to have a variable power scope too. I'm an old man with the Mark 60 eyeballs, and I would like to be able to dial up to some higher magnification when necessary. I realize that I could obviate all this by simply mounting a traditional scope in the traditional position, but I don't want to lose the rear iron sight.

So far, that VX-R scope looks like the best choice. Does anybody else have any ideas?
Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.
H. L. Mencken
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 05:22
Welcome to Optics Talk, Man.

I have the 3-9x VX-R on a .223 truck gun and like it. I haven't hunted with it, per se, but I've had it out in less than optimal lighting situations and found it to be OK.   

I got a deal on it off of SWFA Sample List. Had it not been for the great deal I got it for, I might have looked elsewhere for another scope. 
The scope might be a tad over priced....."Leopri$ed". Wink

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 06:04
Welcome to theOT!

I built a scout for my grandson back in May,wound up going with a FX picatinney rail & gave me all the otions for using standard scopes besides the scout scope group!

FYI I put a SS 3-9x42 & he got his first kill in Sept.,225lb russian boar at 127yds.It was a canned hunt but he was so stoked that he already is on his father & me for a out of state White tail next year.Not bad for a 12year old Excellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 06:09
Forgot to mention I took the bird cage off & put a custom Hart recoil buffer on so he would be able to handle the .308 recoil.He had no problem & loves his scout.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
timbo762 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timbo762 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2012 at 18:20
I have a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 on my scout and love it.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic