OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Aimpoint PRO's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim1811 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aimpoint PRO's
    Posted: September/17/2012 at 17:19
Anyone try out the newer Aimpoint PRO, on a A-4 with a fixed front sight tip?If so good co-witness?good or OK?Thanks.Jim.
1811 Tanker,U.S.M.C.
jim1811 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jim1811 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2012 at 21:57
Just bought one to day,research say's good to go will let you know.

1811 Tanker,U.S.M.C.
TV-PressPass View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV-PressPass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2012 at 11:07
Curious to hear more about this guy!

I was never that into aimpoint until I started actually asking about their purported battery life. Had nothing but good recommendations since.
- I try to produce quality firearms content worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WildGunmenOsborne
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2012 at 11:21
Will be checking back to read your findings. 

Aimpoint love.....Love
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2012 at 15:31
I have an Aimpoint Pro on a 16" midlength with a fixed front sight.  The mount I use, for now the factory supplied gives me a lower 1/3 co-witness, which is what I like.  I have only had for 5 months but have put roughly 2500 rounds through the rifle and have had no issues.  Just need to get a better mount.
PPD7800 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PPD7800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2012 at 13:36

When you say “co-witness” what is your definition and idea of how to use it? Most people try to use an Aimpoint improperly by thinking they need to align the red dot on the front sight while they are shooting which is absolutely the wrong way to use the sight and is not the intent for co-witnessing. In fact using a red dot sight in this manner will only slow a person down, even more so if they are trying to use the rear aperture, the front sight and the red dot all at once. A co-witnessed red dot sight simply allows you to zero your optic faster providing you have properly zeroed your iron sights first and can be used as a quick check or verification that the scope has not shifted.

The Aimpoint Pro is a solid unit just like the rest of their product line. I’ve been running Aimpoint’s for 15 plus years and have nothing bad to say about them. I currently have 2 Aimpoint Comp2 and 1 Pro all of which perform flawlessly. I am not one to baby my gear, period! Two of my Aimpoint’s are on rifles I use for work and I view anything I use for work as a tool that I am not afraid to use very hard. There is a reason why Military units and police agencies around the country trust the Aimpoint product, it is robust, and reliable.

"The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2012 at 13:56
Originally posted by PPD7800 PPD7800 wrote:

When you say “co-witness” what is your definition and idea of how to use it? Most people try to use an Aimpoint improperly by thinking they need to align the red dot on the front sight while they are shooting which is absolutely the wrong way to use the sight and is not the intent for co-witnessing. In fact using a red dot sight in this manner will only slow a person down, even more so if they are trying to use the rear aperture, the front sight and the red dot all at once. A co-witnessed red dot sight simply allows you to zero your optic faster providing you have properly zeroed your iron sights first and can be used as a quick check or verification that the scope has not shifted.

The Aimpoint Pro is a solid unit just like the rest of their product line. I’ve been running Aimpoint’s for 15 plus years and have nothing bad to say about them. I currently have 2 Aimpoint Comp2 and 1 Pro all of which perform flawlessly. I am not one to baby my gear, period! Two of my Aimpoint’s are on rifles I use for work and I view anything I use for work as a tool that I am not afraid to use very hard. There is a reason why Military units and police agencies around the country trust the Aimpoint product, it is robust, and reliable.

Correct.
Long live Aimpoint!! 
Found this picture online to illustrate the Gents comments. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2012 at 13:59
PPD7800, actually, I would take some issue with your definition and description as well.

Why would one be using irons and dot simultaneously?

Most understand that co-witnessing is good as a second zero or in the event of optic failure, I have yet to run into anyone who was using irons and red dot simultaneously.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
PPD7800 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PPD7800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2012 at 14:05

I am sure you have not, but how many new shooters or people that are new to red dots do you see/work with a year? I find that some new users will try to use the dot and front sight simultaneously.

"The sheep pretend the wolf will never come, but the sheepdog lives for that day."
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2012 at 15:07
My view of co-witness is just what Rancid Coolaid stated.  I have a flip up Troy rear sight and it normally stays down except when I am shooting irons.  Here is the way my cowitness is set-up.

Edited by cpwomack - September/28/2012 at 15:25
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2012 at 15:33
I use a trijicon accupoint 3-9x40 on my AR and have offset iron sights for up close and personal shots.

EOTECH, Aimpoint, etc type sights look blurry to me because of astigmatism.

Eagle
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic