OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.223 vs 5.56: What’s the Problem?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .223 vs 5.56: What’s the Problem?
    Posted: September/17/2012 at 13:14
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2012 at 19:56
The "American Rifleman" also did a article on the differences.
I was told that a proof load for the .223 runs about 87,000+psi and that some 5.56 rounds in a tight .223 chamber can run 87,000+psi.
Several well known instructors and shooting schools have seen quite a few split chambers and cracked bolts on the AR15/M-4 platform and I have talked to a local gunsmith who has seen bolt lugs stretched on several bolt guns.
A NCO with the Army National Guard had testing equipment, Oehler chrono with a strain gauge set up and a pressure gun to test ammo for winter use, he showed me the print out from a series of tests and the lowest recorded pressure firing GI M 885 in a moderately tight .223 chamber was 83,000psi...that was the lowest of the series with one round going up to 89,000psi.
He quit because his pressure gun could have been damaged.
I am a believer after seeing the evidence and have refused to use 5.56 in any gun with a .223 chamber.
Art
Good day.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2012 at 20:08
Originally posted by gulf1263 gulf1263 wrote:

I am a believer after seeing the evidence and have refused to use 5.56 in any gun with a .223 chamber.
Art

Concur. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2012 at 20:26
Interesting read. Thanks for sharing. 
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2012 at 07:51
That's a great article, Chris.  Thanks.

As for bolt guns, it just depends.  I actually called CZ about my 527, which is chambered in ".223 Rem."  When I reached company, I was directed to technical service, and asked them if the .223 chamber was safe for 5.56.  I asked it that way just to see if they blew off the question or if they understood the real question at issue.  The gentleman at CZ said yes, their chambers are tested to handle the increased pressure of 5.56 NATO, and that any mil-spec ammunition headstamped 5.56 NATO is safe to fire in the CZ 527 Micro Mauser action.

Bottom line--ask your manufacturer.  If they have done the work to test their products, they'll be happy to tell you.

Deck
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2012 at 09:36
I have seen at least 1 Remington bolt rifle chambered in .223 Rem that tried to shoot 5.56mm ammo and while it didn't "esplode", it let the shooter know it didn't cotton to it very much. Bolt was VERY sticky to retract, and blew the primer. 

I get asked this question a lot these days, mostly from the newbies that have entered the AR camp and I always tell them to stick with the ammo that the rifle was chambered for. 
If you want to shoot 5.56, then get an AR that's chambered accordingly. This allows a guy to shoot 5.56 or .223.     
If it says ".223 Remington".....well. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2012 at 23:05
Of interest is the Ruger Mini 14, the Mini 14 manual states that the Mini 14 can use either .223 or 5.56 ammo but the target version of the Mini 14 is intended for .223 only.

I use the same 68 grain .223 handloads in both Mini 14 and Ruger MKII with better results in the MKII but the Mini 14 is not all that bad. Bullet quality seems to be the biggest factor.

The photo of a 5.56 reamer after being run into a .223 chamber graphically shows the difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic