OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Suppressors for sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2012 at 09:57
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

I really want a suppressor, but despise the thought of having to ask Uncle Sam for permission...

+1
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2012 at 10:17
As has pretty much been said already, a 35 dB reduction is actually significant. Decibels are a logarithmic measurement, e.g. 40 dB is 10X louder than 30dB. There are a lot of pluses to a suppressor and I really thought about but didn't go that route. One reason is because I had a fairly heavy build going already with a 24" barrel. Adding additional weight and length wasn't worth it for this rifle. However, I wouldn't rule it out for another build off a 16" or 18" barrel.
I do most of my shooting with good ear protection and do a lot of it. That helps limit my hunting season shots greatly. I really don't mind 1-2 .308 rounds per 3-5 animals spread out over 7 weeks. Maybe there's some sort of noise cancellation ear protection that works in the field. I worry more about my hearing when I'm in the car with the kids.
Reaction time is a factor...
mtrmn View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtrmn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2012 at 11:26
Love my YHM 7.62 titanium QD. I got adapters for ALL my ARs in 308 and 556. Can use 1 high-dollar suppressor for like 7 different guns and it performs admirably. Very little POI change and is repeatable on each gun. I highly recommend a QD so you won't be wearing out the actual barrel threads going from gun-to-gun, but the YHM QD system is very simple and robust and works very well. I've HEARD a lot of other brands may not be so trouble-free.
I am not downing any other brands-I only KNOW about what I actually own-the YHM.
You do not need a "serviceable" can for high-powered rifles. 22LR needs a take-apart can for cleaning because they're so dirty.
I have heard that YHM may be very behind in production, so you may have a long wait before you can even get the paperwork started. I hear many other brands are behind due to demand as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic