OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Suppressors for sound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suppressors for sound
    Posted: September/16/2012 at 18:40
I'm tired of using hearing protection when hunting and I'm going to see about a trust so I can get a suppressor and needed some info:

Who makes a serviceable can in .30 cal with a QD ?

Also when they say suppression level: -30-35 dbs, is this a reduce of 30-35 dbs or reducing the level to 30-35 dbs ?

Because 30 -35 dbs is pretty low for sound and I'm sure ammo has a lot to do with it as well.

Eagle

Edited by EAGLE - September/16/2012 at 18:54
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2012 at 07:20

Suppressors must be legal to hunt with in your state so check that first. 

Second, depending on what you want to spend, they can go from the $750 range up to several grand for some made from titanium.  QD is not something i'd say was needed for hunting.  I use a thread on.  Both, if well made, will be fine but QD normally runs a bit more because of the need to have the special brake it attaches to.

Sound wise.  A 300 win mag running max loads sounds like a 22mag going off with the can attached.  I don't wear ears with it.  My 308 sounds like a 22short with full loads.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2012 at 14:42
Live in Texas and I contacted a lawyer ( waiting on a return call) so I can start a trust.

What manafactures do you use ?

Thanks for the reply,

Eagle
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2012 at 14:54
If you decide to go with a thread on, check out and do some research on the thunder beast 30P-1.

I have tried mine on 3 different rifles so far and at 100 yards I have zero POI shift when screwing it on.  It makes my .308, 6.8 spc, and 223 sound similar to a .22 rifle to me.  No hearing protection required.  On the ARs it seems the action running back is more noisy than the actual report of the rifle firing.  They really are fun. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2012 at 15:03
I have great hearing and anything over 85dbs bothers me.

I believe a 22lr is 126dbs and from what I've read most cans (with subsonic ammo) will only reduce dbs by -35 .

Which means I may be sol

Eagle

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2012 at 15:12
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2012 at 15:13
FYI- Group buy on AR15 for one which is $500 + $200 stamp

Eagle
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2012 at 15:34
Don't get hung up on the decibel rating.  If you shop for that, you will never find one.  It can very greatly by where the meter is sitting, what hte conditions are, how far the meter away, who does it, etc etc.

I would focus on getting one that is light weight  ie. titanium, and one that has a proven track record of having very very little POI shifts when putting it on.  IMO you would want one with low POI shift so when shooting with it on or off your data stays the same.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2012 at 15:36
Rancid Koolaid has experience with quit a few different brands, hopefully he will chime in.  If not shoot him a PM.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2012 at 15:48
Originally posted by EAGLE EAGLE wrote:

I have great hearing and anything over 85dbs bothers me.

I believe a 22lr is 126dbs and from what I've read most cans (with subsonic ammo) will only reduce dbs by -35 .

Which means I may be sol

Eagle

One thing to remember is you are behind the rifle.  So even a .22 will not be as load behind it as it is outfront and to the side where they usually meter them. 

Can you handle shooting a .22 rifle without ears on?  If so, I bet you would be just fine with a suppressor. 

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2012 at 16:52
You also have to remember that each -3db cuts noise level in half. So -35db is a huge drop in sound reduction.  
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2012 at 17:11

I'm looking for a proven system that not only works, great cs, serviceable,lightweight, but has a proven track record.

Awesome feed back and since I have zero experience, I kinda figured this was the place to post for real world knowledge.

Buy once cry once .......will save me in the long run

Anyone know of a dealer around Pearland, Tx (Houston)?

Eagle
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2012 at 17:16
If your anticipation is for the gun to be "hollywood" quiet, a suppressor will sorely disappoint.  I am quite comfortable shooting a 308 or 300 win mag suppressed without hearing protection, but almost nothing is Daisy Red Rider quiet, and nothing around $500.

And, you specify QD mount, why?  On what will the suppressor be mounted?  I ask because QD mounts are not all created equal, and I have seen bad things happen due to poorly aligning QD mounts.  In your price range, I much prefer thread-on suppressors.

Next, what make and model of suppressor is on a group buy for $500?  If your limiting factor is price, what is your price?

Be aware that, with all things mechanical, there are always trade-offs.  Suppressors can be quite expensive, so getting a $500 suppressor (in a 30-caliber) means you are giving up something.  If that something ain't noise reduction, it will be something else,  like weight or size or build quality or build material.

Suppressors are indeed handy, and now that you can hunt game animals in Texas with them, they will become much more popular.  

Also, be aware that the BATFE is taking 4-6 months to approve Form 4 submissions right now, so this will not be a quick acquisition.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2012 at 17:43
RC,

Good points and the kind of feed I'm looking for.....everyone knows you cannot believe what's on the big screens...right?

I wanted to use it on my .308 bolt gun, 6.8 and .223 AR's so I guess I should have said an adapture.

What I know for sure is I don't want to worry about the bullet hitting the baffles(internal)

Eagle

Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2012 at 18:48
Originally posted by EAGLE EAGLE wrote:

FYI- Group buy on AR15 for one which is $500 + $200 stamp

Eagle

I was under the impression that you would have to have a class III dealer do the paper work for your transfer.
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2012 at 21:58
Templar Tactical Firearms in Houston. New company and getting a lot of rave reviews on Snipers Hide. Having a group buy on his all titanium, 7.50" ARK can....$500 plus $200.00 stamp until October.

Eagle
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2012 at 00:51
Interesting that according to the Templar Tactical firearms website suppressors increase muzzle velocity. I did not know you could increase muzzle velocity with one.

Suppressors have several benefits above the reduction in noise, like a greater reduction in recoil than muzzle breaks, improves accuracy, increases muzzle velocity, and when shooting around others it increases safety and communication which makes for a great training tool when training new shooters.

http://www.templartacticalfirearms.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2012 at 08:30
There is, at least with certain designs, a very minor increase in velocity attributed to "free-bore boost."  I haven't chronoed enough rounds to establish this emphatically, but some say they have.  What I do see is a change of about 10-15FPS, which can easily get lost in the statistics.

Eagle, I don't know anything about their suppressors, but will take a look.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2012 at 09:09
Just looked them over, probably not a bad way to get into a suppressor - and a very attractive price for a titanium can.

Be aware that they are screw-on only, they have no QD option - which - to me, is a benefit, not a disadvantage.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2012 at 09:18
I really want a suppressor, but despise the thought of having to ask Uncle Sam for permission...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic