OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Out of these 3.....?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Out of these 3.....?
    Posted: September/14/2012 at 18:22
So my wife finally approved my new scope budget.Argue It was about 1000 less than id hoped..(ha ha). The scopes im looking at are all around 300. Heres the list.
 1) Bushnell Legend Ultra 4.5-14x44 (SF)
 2) Burris Fullfield 2 4.5-14x42 (AO)
 3) Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 (SF)

I have found good and bad comments about Burris and Nikon but only came across 4 posts about the new Bushnells. They all seem to be decent scopes. Not sure if the Fullfield would take a flip-up scope cap due to the adjustable objective though. Does anyone know ? It seems from what I have read they all have good glass. With the biggest objective, would the bushnell be the best for low light conditions by default ?

Any suggestions or opinions would be great. Oh.. its for my 300 mag. Strictly deer and elk hunting in various weather and ranges. Thanks. 
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2012 at 18:30
I had option #3 on a .300 RUM Sendero. Worked like a champion and sold me on Nikon optics. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Staedy Aim View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2012 at 18:48

I think ive seen a couple demo (b) ones on the sample List for about 250, but none right now. Only have till the 10th of October to get it set up.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2012 at 18:54
Should have added a fourth option. That Vortex DB 3.5-15x50 @ 250 looks interesting...Just gets harder in a good wayWhacko
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2012 at 19:11
Vortex Viper 3-9x40 is 299.99 and is a great scope. My 2nd vote would be for the Nikon.

Old Mil ftw
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2012 at 19:13
One of my sons has been using that particular Burris for about 3 yrs now on a 30-06 and it has been excellent. crystal clear, and very good in low light. has held zero and tracks great. Awesome scope for the money if you can live without the flip up caps. I make no secret of the fact I am a huge Burris fan, but I do like Nikon too and feel you would be well served by option #3 as well. 
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2012 at 20:08
Good info. I was leaning twords the Bushnell but know I dont know. I liked the idea of the raingaurd coating. I wish I could look at them all at the store and judge the glass but thats not possible.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2012 at 20:14
I would also take a look at the Vortex scopes. Very nice for the money.

This website would give you some good info as well.

www.opticsthoughts.com

Also I would stay away from scopes that have an adjustable objective or any other form of parallax adjustment. It is not necessary in a hunting scope and is just one more thing to deal with that might result in a missed shot on a trophy.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2012 at 20:24

Thanks sparky. Ill check that out. Ive never used a scope with an AO but they seem to get a lot of mixed reviews. The fact thats its more moving parts is worth considering though. As long as its clear through all magnifications,your probably right. I have heard some say that at 14x it is usefull.

RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2012 at 20:36
Have to agree with Sparky. Especially on bigger game like you will be hunting. Unless your setting up and shooting really long range a good 3-9x40 or something close to that will work great. Even the lower cost Diamondbacks have some good glass and very wide field of view.
Old Mil ftw
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2012 at 20:39
For strictly deer and elk hunting and I am guessing that max range is 300yds. I would not need anything over a 10x since that is similar to looking at your target at 30yds without any magnification. Would you feel comfortable in shooting either a deer or an elk at 30yds with iron sites?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2012 at 21:01
Good point again sparky. Ilya had some good info on that site. I am really liking the Vortex Diamondback now. A 3-10x50 for $250 seems like a no brainer. With a 50mm objective it should gather a lot of light. Still decent power and great costomer service. Sounds like the best of all worlds in that price range of under 300. Whatcha guys  think?
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2012 at 21:02
There is a 2.5-10 Monarch on the Samplelist for $279. That is a good step up from the Buckmaster. I have this scope and enjoy using it. The Monarch does a good job in low light conditions also. For hunting large game I prefer not to have to deal with focus for the snap shots. I have the FFll also. It has good glass, Maybe sharoer image than the Nikon. I still prefer the Monarch to deer hunt with. Faster and Much wider field of view when needed for a close shot.  The only experiance with the Vortex scopes has been the Viper line. They are well worth the money.
SPL14996Nikon 2.5-10x42 Monarch Rifle Scope DEMO-B
Click to view8407, Matte, Nikoplex, 1"
$279.95

Edited by 3_tens - September/14/2012 at 21:09
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2012 at 21:04
Thanks 3_tens. I will look now.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2012 at 07:03
LOL it's quickly turning into a needle in a haystack isn't it.

All the ones mentioned are worthy canidates.  Best additional advice I can give is to go to a local gunshop or sprting goods and look thru them side by side.  Do this outside under natural light and look at the same distant object.  Checking them out under in store flourescent light is very misleading... Good luck
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Staedy Aim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2012 at 10:14
After reading reviews from around the web about the Diamondbacks, I have come across some negative ones. They all seem to be pre 2010 though. Does anyone know if they changed something ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic