OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

True 1-X scopes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: True 1-X scopes?
    Posted: September/13/2012 at 04:11
I have red dot scopes and conventional variable and fixed scopes.   With the red dots I can easily shoot with both eyes open, but with a conventional scope I have to sight with one eye closed.   Are the 1-X variable scopes true one power scopes and can you shoot with both eyes open when you don't dial the magnification up?

Along those same lines, my Aimpoints have no parallax issues at any distance.   That is not the same with some of my other brand of red dots, such as my SIG red dot.  The others I have used (such as my SIG) have a 50 yard close limit for zero parallax.  At distances over 50 yards the SIG is supposed to be parallax free (and it appears so to me).   Do the new scopes (like the SS 1-6 or the Swarovski 1-6) have any parallax issues at close range (or any range for that matter)?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2012 at 09:12
I never had any issues with my SS 1-4. The new 1-6 is suppose to be the same.  Like you mentioned before if the scope is a true 1X you shouldnt have any problems with both eyes open unless you turn up the mag.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Graysteel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graysteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2012 at 09:26

One of the things to keep in mind is that with red dot scopes you do not have a specific eye relief. In other words, your eye doesn't have to be a specific distance behind the scope to get a sight picture. With all variable power scopes you will have a specific eye relief distance that you will have to get used too. The difference is not very obvious when you just line the scope up comfortably against a target on a wall, but makes a significant difference when you need to shoot very quickly or when firing from awkward positions.

This is not to say that red dot sights are better. They are simply more optimal for speed and awkward positions. The down side is if you use them with a magnifier you will find your image is not nearly as clear as with a high quality variable powered scope.

You can moderate the parallax with the various red dots by mounting them a bit father forward.

As far as practical parallax issues with variable power scopes at close ranges I have never noticed them with any decent scope.

Edited by Graysteel - September/14/2012 at 09:32
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic