OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Compact Spotters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brettpsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compact Spotters
    Posted: September/11/2012 at 11:29
I'm looking for a compact spotter to take back country hunting. Need to keep it small and lightweight. Budget <$1,000 would prefer <$750 if possible. What have you guys seen that you would recommend?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2012 at 18:12
Minox 16-30x50 Spotting Scope Minox 16-30x50 Spotting Scope
Stock # - 62225
  • Angled Body
  • Free Ever-Ready Nylon Case w/ Purchase
$298.95 
Add Minox 16-30x50 Spotting Scope to Cart 

Minox 16-30x50 Spotting Scope Minox 16-30x50 Spotting Scope
Stock # - 62226
  • Straight Body
  • Free Ever-Ready Nylon Case w/ Purchase
$298.95  
Add Minox 16-30x50 Spotting Scope to Cart 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
boats View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2012 at 13:01
One I like the best and use the most is an older model fixed power Gold Ring Leopold. Mines 25x50 MM 10 inches long waterproff tough and has the lifetime warrenty.  Used off ebay they go for around 300 bucks . I got lucky on the larger 30x60mm Leopold fixed power last week for under 300 bucks, it's bigger 15 inches long,  which is a negative but want to see if it resolves better with 60 mm.  Use both keep the one I like best.

Personaly have no use for Variable scopes. If you don't mind variable Leopolds Gold Ring variable works well, few friends of mine have them. Think they are 750 or so.

Boats
Boats
excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2012 at 14:28
I'm looking for a compact spotter as well, but need EYE RELIEF because I wear glasses. This may be a tough nut to crack in that I would like 20mm+ eye relief, resolution, and don't want to rob a bank to pay for it.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2012 at 14:30
I bought a Leupold 15-30x50 compact gold ring (because Urimaginaryfrnd bought the last Minox that SWFA had at the time) and have been pretty happy with it. I bought it off the Sample List, and got a great deal on it! But if my timing would have been better, I would be rockin' the Minox!

If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2012 at 14:34
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
boats View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2012 at 15:37
All the Leopolds have good eye relief, best of any scope I use.  Varables are more compact than the fixed powers. Most Scopes Varable looses resolution not the Leopolds. Although my fixed 25 seems to out resolve friends Leopold Varables, it could be my eye. Or they may have them cranked up too high for the ambient conditons.
Thing I like about fixed is get on target only one turn to make don't have to zoom and adjust.

Boats
Boats
excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2012 at 15:40
Unfortunately the Minox have 15mm eye relief max, and the Leupold not much more, so neither will work for me.

I looked through a new Leupold Ventana 15-45x60 today. It has adequate eye relief, but resolution was poor. Both the Bushnell Trophy and Simmons sitting beside it had better resolution, and they were nothing special.

20x fixed magnification would work for me if the eye relief was adequate.
gulf1263 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulf1263 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 02:12
IMHO the Nikon 50mm ED spotter is the gold standard, priced like gold to.
You would need to buy the scope and then the 30x lens which would get you 20x on the 50mm, this would clean out your wallet but give a superb little scope and lens.
Mine disappeared but I will get another.
The optics are superb for a small scope, better than anything else out there.
See if you can try one with the fixed power lens, the zooms don't have much eye relief.
Art

Good day.
boats View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 06:11
I may be wrong but think Variable scopes have less eye relief than fixed powers.  Our club matches we spot for each other and have used a lot of other scopes.  Standard for Rifle shooters is a big Kowa with 27X LER Occular lens.  Same Kowa scope with the Varable or wide angle eyepiece is a lot shorter eye relief.

I usualy use a Unertl 24x63mm spotting Silhouette rifle matches but at times use the little 25x50 Leopold, small as it is very close in resolution and use-ablity to the Big Kowas or my Unertl. And less than half the size and weight. Double the durablity.

Boats
Boats
boats View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 06:13
Forgot to say, Hunting 20x would be ideal, If you have to scan around lower power is always better than high. Trouble is demand is for higher powers and that's what the scope company's make.

Boats
Boats
excess650 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote excess650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 06:56
Yeah, variable power eyepieces generally have less eye relief than fixed and eye relief decreases as the magnification is zoomed up.

The Kowa LER eyepieces are outstanding. The Leupold 12-40x60 has as good or better eye relief, but I really didn't want to spend that much $ (Kowa or Leupold 12-40x60). I've used both of these (77mm and 82mm Kowas as well as the Leupold) for spotting at silhouette shoots, so know how good they are.
TV-PressPass View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV-PressPass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 09:41
I really like my vortex recon. Because it is a fixed 10X (or 15X) its easy to carry and use free standing.

I don't know that I'd qualify the Leupold 12-40X60 as a "compact" spotter. Their 15-30X50 or 10-20X40 gold rings are definitely nice, but you still end up with not a lot of image at the highest power setting on those.

- I try to produce quality firearms content worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WildGunmenOsborne
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 12:09
I agree about the Nikon ED 50. I haven't found a truly compact spotting scope that bettered it optically. With the Nikon zoom eyepiece the eye relief is fairly short though so the previously mentioned fixed power, wide angle eyepiece series (16x, 27x or 40x) would certainly suit you better.

On the other hand, if compactness is speaking more to overall size and to a lesser extent weight then I would also suggest the Pentax ED II 65 mm scope. It is probably the most compact 65 mm scope that I am aware of (short of the Promaster Infiniti ED 65) plus you can use just about any 1.25 astro eyepiece with it, in addition to any of the fine Pentax XF, XL or XW eyepieces. The scope body usually goes for about $500 and you can get the various eyepieces mentioned above for anywhere from $150 up to $300. That would fit in your budget range.

Here is a review from the widely acclaimed Better View Desired website from back in 2005....

Edited by FrankD - September/13/2012 at 12:16
Frank
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2012 at 12:12
Excellent advice, Frank!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic