OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need a tool....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a tool....
    Posted: September/10/2012 at 12:16
Anybody know of a tool that cleans up the case rims on brass that's been run through an AR and beat all to heck? 

I thought I had seen one before, but can't find now. I have a bunch of .223 brass that's obviously been run through an AR/SAW and wanting something to smooth out the rims so they don't get caught in my Lee Auto Prime shell holder. 

Thanks in advance.

Signed,
Hater of All Things AR. Wink

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2012 at 12:50
I don't know, but I could use the same thing for 7.62x51/.308 brass, and some of that is unfired brass.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2012 at 02:04
An outfit called Case Pro make a tool which re- swages the rim in a roller device as well as re- swage of the case body, but think they may only do pistol cases. The machine costs above $450 and I've never seen one, except on the interwebs.

http://casepro100.com/index.html
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2012 at 04:04
Thanks, Alan. 

Not what I thought I saw before, but appreciate the link. The tool I saw was a fairly simple looking, hand held device. 
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2012 at 11:22
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2012 at 11:30
Hahaha...well, there is THAT, huh Bill? Big Grin
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2012 at 21:36
Cull 'em or prime on your press
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2012 at 07:50
I think I'll try chucking them up in a drill and spinning them with some steel wool wrapped the rim. See if that helps. 
Lake City brass is worth keeping.  
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2012 at 09:36
I do see a need for a tool that would uniform the rims of cases. With semi-autos (or full) the case rims can get nicked, burred, and even bent slightly. It would be a shame to toss a case just because of a burr on the rim.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2012 at 09:52
If you scroll down a bit this guy has a pick of a custom made one.  I cannot find any other info on one.

http://home.comcast.net/~jesse99/caseprep.html#TopCasePreparation
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2012 at 10:53
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

If you scroll down a bit this guy has a pick of a custom made one.  I cannot find any other info on one.

http://home.comcast.net/~jesse99/caseprep.html#TopCasePreparation

Should have known K&M would come up with a widget like this. Thanks!  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic